Differences in photo quality papers

Old January 3rd 04, 11:06 PM
Rick Pittard

Default Differences in photo quality papers

Can anyone describe the differences in quality between the various paper
offerings - as well as brands?

Old January 4th 04, 12:00 AM
Mark Herring

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:06:28 GMT, "Rick Pittard"
wrote:

Can anyone describe the differences in quality between the various paper
offerings - as well as brands?

Wow---quite a request.

The choice of paper and ink combos is easily as complex as it is for
wet chemistry printing.

I would start by reading info supplied by some of the big 3rd-party
ink vendors:
MIS (inksupply)
Mediastreet
Lyson
InkJetArt

If you are just starting in printing, sitck with the paper and ink
supplied by your printer manaufacturer. For good prices on genuine
supplies, go to Atlex.
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Old January 4th 04, 05:16 AM
Woobie

Printer types: S600 and i900d.

IBM = Washed out. Not bad though.
Office Depot = Pretty good.
Canon "Pro" paper = Incredible
Ilford = Incredible
GC = Very cheap, washed out and blotting.
HP = Good to Great, depending on paper type and printer settings.
Joe

Old January 4th 04, 04:27 PM
Rick Pittard

This is for a HP psc 2510. So far I have used HP paper, but when I checked
in Office Depot this weekend, there clearly are many offerings with a wide
range of prices.

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:06:28 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "Rick Pittard"
wrote:

Can anyone describe the differences in quality between the various paper
offerings - as well as brands?

What printer? Some brands of printers, particularly Epson photos do not
perform well with certain types of paper, such as Kodak.

Old January 7th 04, 02:54 PM
Stan

"Rick Pittard" wrote in message ...
Can anyone describe the differences in quality between the various paper
offerings - as well as brands?

I think this article is a good place to start.

http://desktoppub.about.com/library/...aperweight.htm

I purchased some cheap photo paper from a warehouse club. The paper
had a nice feel and look to it, but the pictures were awful, I've used
some IBM and Avery paper with good success.

Stan
Old January 8th 04, 03:09 AM
rw

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:06:28 GMT, "Rick Pittard"
wrote:

Pound for pound the best paper out there is canon paper pro., 88 iso
245g/m and 936 mil. But if you are a cheapskate like me take a look at
the polar gloss from red river. The quality is very good.

out,

dead eye