Intermittent use - Epson 2100P/2200?

Old July 25th 03, 10:36 PM
SmileyFace

Default Intermittent use - Epson 2100P/2200?

I'm considering buying the Epson 2100P [UK] which I understand is
equivalent to the US 2200 - an A3 inkjet - to use in my
photography practice.

In addition, the Permajet ink system - for this printer, under
reformulation just now - looks appealing.

But I've read that the Epson printheads are prone to clogging,
and I wondered if anyone knew how it might stand up to
intermittent use; that is, if I don't use it for a week or more,
would I be faced with having to flush/clean the heads?

TIA

Gill

Old July 26th 03, 08:16 PM
Safetymom123

I have had my Epson printers sit several months and print beautifully when I
went to use them. If you follow the manu. instructions and turn off with
the power button, make sure the thickness lever is in the normal position.
you shouldn't have any problems. Also if you don't plan on printing during
the day don't turn the printer on. Turning the printer on uncaps the heads
allowing for air to dry out the heads. Turn it on when you are ready to
print and you won't have any problems. I have never had any clogs that one
or two cleaning cycles wouldn't fix.

"SmileyFace" wrote in message
"SmileyFace" wrote in message
I'm considering buying the Epson 2100P [snip]
I wondered if anyone knew how it might stand up to
intermittent use; that is, if I don't use it for a week or

more,
would I be faced with having to flush/clean the heads?

In , Richard Stephenson

typed:
I have had the 2100 for a few months now and have not yet

needed
to clean the print heads.

Thanks, Richard. I've often read that Epson printheads are
tricky.

Do you use it much?

TIA

Gill

Old July 26th 03, 10:06 PM
SmileyFace

"SmileyFace" wrote in message
"SmileyFace" wrote in message
I'm considering buying the Epson 2100P [snip]
I wondered if anyone knew how it might stand up to
intermittent use

Do you use it much?

In ,
Safetymom123
typed:
I have had my Epson printers sit several months and print
beautifully when I went to use them. If you follow the manu.
instructions and turn off with the power button, make sure the
thickness lever is in the normal position. you shouldn't have

any
problems. Also if you don't plan on printing during the day

don't
turn the printer on. Turning the printer on uncaps the heads
allowing for air to dry out the heads. Turn it on when you

are
ready to print and you won't have any problems. I have never

had
any clogs that one or two cleaning cycles wouldn't fix.

Thanks for the advice! I think I've made my mind up now. I'll
buy one!

Cheers,
Gill

Old July 27th 03, 07:08 AM
CWatters

One last recommendation....

I've been using TDK paper in my Epson 2100 with good results. The one I use
is "TDK Pro Quality 270g Photo Glossy Paper". They also make a lighter
weight version and a heavier "Reference Grade" but the 270g is the one I
recommend.

Colin

Old July 27th 03, 10:15 AM
Emyr Rhys Williams

SmileyFace wrote:

I'm considering buying the Epson 2100P [UK] which I understand is
equivalent to the US 2200 - an A3 inkjet - to use in my
photography practice.

In addition, the Permajet ink system - for this printer, under
reformulation just now - looks appealing.

But I've read that the Epson printheads are prone to clogging,
and I wondered if anyone knew how it might stand up to
intermittent use; that is, if I don't use it for a week or more,
would I be faced with having to flush/clean the heads?

TIA

Gill

I've had one for a few months and never had to clean the jets even when
I haven't used it for a few days. If I know I have a lot of work for it
I leave it switched on all the time.
I installed the Lyson continuous ink system on it last week and the
prints are even better.
I'm currently using Ferrania Opti-Jet professional glossy paper with it.

Emyr
Old July 27th 03, 07:51 PM
SmileyFace

In , CWatters
typed:
One last recommendation....

I've been using TDK paper in my Epson 2100 with good results.

The
one I use is "TDK Pro Quality 270g Photo Glossy Paper". They

also
make a lighter weight version and a heavier "Reference Grade"

but
the 270g is the one I recommend.

Thanks a lot, Colin! That's the missing piece of the puzzle.
I'm not fond of lightweight papers myself, so your advice is
welcome.

Cheers,
Gill
off in search of paper now )

Old July 27th 03, 09:45 PM
Emyr Rhys Williams

SmileyFace wrote:

I've read about Lyson inks before - they're highly recommended in
monochrome circles - but the price is frightening. I'll think
about that for a while before jumping in.

But not as frightening as the cost of the Epson inks!
It seems a lot to fork out when you've just bought the printer but the
cost of the Epson inks soon adds up. Apparently the Epson inks work out
at about £1000 per litre while the Lyson inks are only about £70.

Incidentally I made a note of the quantity of each different ink I used
(sad isn't it) but it might be of use to you when ordering - Photo Black
(9), Light Black (11), Cyan (4), Light cyan (15), Magenta (7), Light
Magenta (22), Yellow (13).

Emyr
Old July 28th 03, 12:38 AM
Arthur Entlich

But not as frightening as the cost of the Epson inks!
It seems a lot to fork out when you've just bought the printer but the
cost of the Epson inks soon adds up. Apparently the Epson inks work out
at about £1000 per litre while the Lyson inks are only about £70.

Incidentally I made a note of the quantity of each different ink I used
(sad isn't it) but it might be of use to you when ordering - Photo Black
(9), Light Black (11), Cyan (4), Light cyan (15), Magenta (7), Light
Magenta (22), Yellow (13).

Emyr

Very good point. At about $10 US each, your ink costs a (drum roll
please) $810 US, more than the cost of the printer.

The real game being played here is in the light inks, especially the m
and c, and to a lesser extent, the black. Those c and m alone cost you
about $370 US. Now, in fairness, you would have needed to buy some C
and M to replace them, perhaps 25% (or less) as many, or about $90
worth, for a savings of $280.

There is "some" justification for a light black ink, especially when
making B&W prints. But the light color load c and m are, IMHO, a scam
of mass proportions. Not only is the printer profile designed to burn
through them, but with today's dot size, they are totally unnecessary to
produce photographic quality images.

Simply put, the light color load inks could easily be made up for by
using a small dot, or series of dots, and allowing the paper to show
through. That is how all offset printing is done, and has been forever.
With 2 picolitre or smaller dots, no one can see the difference at
viewing distance, and in fact, you need a loupe to see it even close up.
I use NO 6 or seven color printers, and I have never had anyone imply
my images are not photographic quality in nature. In fact, I had a six
color rendition done of some work that I had done in 4 color, and the
four color actually looked better to me.

These ink companies are selling you water, some glycol and maybe some
resin for massive amounts of money. The dyes or pigments are the most
expensive component in inks. They have to be color accurate and have
fade resistance qualities. If the extra colors were really that
important to the end result, the printers could be designed with
chambers to mix those light color loaded inks, using a cheap "medium"
fluid held in storage, and a mixture made for the heavy color load
cartridges. After all these inkjets use incredibly precise measuring
methods to print with... it would be easy to make a two chambered
"cartridge" which would automatically replenish a mixture of the carrier
fluid and dye or pigment from the main color load cartridge. But that
would cut heavily into ink sales.

Also, in terms of dyes, the light dye load inks are more vulnerable to
fading because the surface dye on the paper helps to protect the dye
underneath from fading. The darker the dye on top, the less it fades.
A smaller dot of full dye load is more stable from light than a larger
dot of very dilute dye.

With the improved size of the heads (number of nozzles) and variable dot
technology, and the faster computers and processors within the printers,
there is really no need for the c and m low color load inks. We are
being scammed.

Further, these waste additional ink if you do not refill (and even if
you do). As noted in the numbers, the low color load inks run out
first. In unified cartridges, this means either tossing the cartridge
with leftover ink in the other chambers, or refilling and going through
extra purge cycles which wastes inks and build up the protection numbers
toward a waste ink pad replacement.

With the separate cartridges, things are not much better, since each
time you run out of any color ALL the cartridges are purged during the
replacement of the one cartridge, dumping six or seven times the amount
of ink down the drain as needed. This is NO accident. Epson designed
this "feature" into the machine. The same thing happens with a change
of Photo to Matte or vice versa in the black ink.

In fact, with the professional 7600 and 9600 models, changing the black
ink from matte to photo or vice versa flushes nearly 220 ml of ink out
of the system (all colors) or OVER $100 US of ink, each time. Also,
after doing this a couple of times you need to replace the waste ink
receptor, another $40 cost.

When I warn people that Epson (and others) design their printers with
ink wastage in mind, because they make their money on ink and other
consumables, it is not just some fantasy. Remember when the ink
cleaning cycles were separate for black and colored inks? They got rid
of that also, because now each cleaning or purging cycle uses ink from
each cartridge or chamber. Had Epson used a separate black pump and
cleaning station in the 7600, for instance, the ink waste on switching
between matte and photo inks would have been reduced to 1/6th the
amount. Yes, it also cuts cost to the cost of the printer. One less
pump mechanism, a unified cleaning station, one less button on the front
of the panel. But considering even their cheap letter sized printers
had two systems until fairly recently, and considering that the black
ink system tends to need special care because any clog shows up clearly,
and the black inks are not exchangeable between two types, it would have
been economically sound to have a second pump in the design.

By far, the cheapest Epson printers to run, have no chip in the
cartridge, use only four colors, and have separate black and colored ink
cleaning stations. The 900 and 980 in letter size were by far the best
going, with their variable dot. They were also ruggedly made, and many
are still in use (they also had relatively large cartridges). To even
make it cheaper, buy generic inks or ink cartridges, refill, or use a
ink system which uses bulk bottles. (Can't do a lot of this with the
2200, and that also, is not by accident).

Art

Old July 28th 03, 07:37 PM
CWatters

"SmileyFace" wrote in message

Thanks a lot, Colin! That's the missing piece of the puzzle.
I'm not fond of lightweight papers myself, so your advice is
welcome.

No problem. If you find any other makes that work and are heavier than 270g
let me know!