Problem with Wireless B, on an older Gatewa6 g6-400

Old November 14th 03, 07:34 PM
Mark Timerding

Default Problem with Wireless B, on an older Gatewa6 g6-400

Hello,

I am using a Linksys 2.4ghz 802.11b wireless router for my
little home network, consisting of: a Micron computer (last years model),
and Alienware model (this year) and my old Gateway g6-400 (pentium II,
forget which motherboard)... All three computers are running Windows XP.

So far, everything seems to be working fine (all 3 computers are happily
surfing
away) ...The Alienware is still upstairs right next to the router, the
Micron and
Gateway are downstairs (in the basement/family room)

The signal strength on the two computers downstairs is always:
Micron EXCELLENT, sometimes VERY GOOD and the Gateway always
shows Good to VERY GOOD. (why the difference, I dont know .. the two
computers sit about 10 feet apart)

On these two computers I am using Linksys 2.4ghz 802.11b PCI adapters to
communicate with the Router. And like I said, so far, they are both having
no
problems with surfing the net .....

Here is the problem... EVERYTIME the Gateway is first booted up for the
day (cold boot) it boots up with the 'Found New Hardware' wizard, and each
time
the adapter software/drivers have to be reloaded. Or, rather than reloading,
you
can just reboot the computer.. and so far, everytime, it has come up fine.

This is ONLY on cold starts ... so far it has never happened on a reboot.

I have tried changing the pci slot the adapter is plugged into ... I have
also
removed the computers ethernet card and modem card (both were ISA, and
not used anyway) .... no difference.

Any possible workarounds for this, or is this just something that 'goes with
that motherboard'

Like I said, not that big a deal ... as the computer sees/surfs on the
internet
just fine once you get it to boot and recognize the device, no known
problems.
Its just a hassle. (having to reboot immediately after booting up for the
day)

Thank You
Old November 14th 03, 11:26 PM
Ben Myers

Mark,

Just on a hunch, change the C2032 3v Lithium coin-sized battery in the Gateway.
Betcha that hasn't been done for a while. When a battery no longer provides
enough charge to keep the motherboard's CMOS info from becoming corrupted,
strange things happen. A replacement battery should cost a couple of bucks,
more or less... Ben Myers

Old November 15th 03, 01:13 AM
Mark Timerding

On 14-Nov-2003, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

Just on a hunch, change the C2032 3v Lithium coin-sized battery in the
Gateway. Betcha that hasn't been done for a while.

Hello Ben,

Fancy meeting you in this newsgroup! .. actually, I bought the
computer
in 1997 ... and the cmos battery had never been changed ... that was the
first thought that crossed my mind, but, as it was having NO problems with
anything else (such as losing other devices) .... I ruled that possiblity
out.
But, that's why I posted my question ... to see if anyone that knows more
about this stuff then me, (such as you and Ed Neth) might think otherwise.

I'll run out to radioshack this weekend, and look for a battery ....

(one other thing, I didnt mention ... the Gateway had been sitting in
a corner in the basement unplugged for almost 2 years ... it was only
since I bought the router, I decided to fire it up and see if it can be put
to use .... dont know if that may have had something to do with why it
is doing this)

(btw, the 'two pronged' fan on the Micron works ... but, dont know why I
even worried about it .... temp hasnt dropped ONE degree since putting
it in. And in case you're wondering, the fan with the connector for the
Power
Supply did not work (well, sorta ... it runs, but only like at 100 rpm))

Take Care ... and thanks for the input!!!!