Copy hard disk across network drive

Old January 12th 04, 09:38 PM
nil spam

Default Copy hard disk across network drive

I'm trying to clone the hard disk in my laptop to another connected over a
network in my desktop pc which will eventually replace the existing one.
After hours of trying to get this to work I'm stumped - Norton Ghost
complains that it can't create a virtual partition to boot due (finally
realised this was down to a conflict with Partition Magic). Powerquest Drive
Image wants me to create a boot floppy, my laptop doesnt have a floppy drive
as it's a slimmed down one with floppies as add-ons which I don't really
want to buy just for this use so I can't do this. How else can I get an
image of my existing drive over to the new one across the network?

Old January 12th 04, 09:59 PM
ChrisJ9876

From: "nil spam"
Date: 01/12/2004 4:38 PM Eastern Standard Time
I'm trying to clone the hard disk in my laptop to another connected over a
network in my desktop pc which will eventually replace the existing one.
After hours of trying to get this to work I'm stumped - Norton Ghost
complains that it can't create a virtual partition to boot due (finally
realised this was down to a conflict with Partition Magic). Powerquest Drive
Image wants me to create a boot floppy, my laptop doesnt have a floppy drive
as it's a slimmed down one with floppies as add-ons which I don't really
want to buy just for this use so I can't do this. How else can I get an
image of my existing drive over to the new one across the network?

If you have enough space on the drive currently in your laptop, create a
partition (using PartitionMagic) big enough to hold the image file. Run Drive
image & create the image on the new partition, then use Windows to copy the
file over to your other machine. Be sure you put the image file in a partition
by itself, but you should create whatever partitions you want to wind up with
first - your primary 'C' in particular.

Another possibility: Drive Image2002 (for Win98 or WinME) or DriveImage7 (for
XP) includes "Boot Disk Builder" which will create a virtual floppy image with
all that's needed in terms of networking & TCP/IP, so you don't need a floppy
drive. (You'd only need it on a floppy if you need to restore to a clean
drive.)
Old January 13th 04, 09:23 AM
Alien Zord

"nil spam" wrote in message
I'm trying to clone the hard disk in my laptop to another connected over a
network in my desktop pc which will eventually replace the existing one.
After hours of trying to get this to work I'm stumped - Norton Ghost
complains that it can't create a virtual partition to boot due (finally
realised this was down to a conflict with Partition Magic). Powerquest

Drive
Image wants me to create a boot floppy, my laptop doesnt have a floppy

drive
as it's a slimmed down one with floppies as add-ons which I don't really
want to buy just for this use so I can't do this. How else can I get an
image of my existing drive over to the new one across the network?

I've created a number of bootable CDs with network drivers (one for each
type of network card in use here) containing the necessary files, Ghost,
PQDI etc.and simply boot from the appropriate CD and dump the image onto a
file server. Then swap the hdd for a new one and restore the image. Its
little bit tricky to create network boot CDs for notebooks because of the
need for DOS cardbus or PCMCIA drivers as these can be difficult to obtain.

Old January 13th 04, 03:12 PM
ChrisJ9876

From: "Alien Zord"
Date: 01/13/2004 4:23 AM Eastern Standard Time
"nil spam" wrote in message
[...]

I recently spent some time getting a bootable floppy to work for a PCMCIA NIC.
Two different brands, actually, for two different laptops. After messing around
with PCMCIA drivers, I found that for each NIC (both were CardBus) there's a
"Cardbus enabler", which eliminated the need for any other socket drivers. I
didn't find it documented anywhere, other than some mention in a readme file or
something like that. The enabler prog was found on the CD that came with the
card.
Old January 13th 04, 03:52 PM
Alien Zord

"ChrisJ9876" wrote in message
I recently spent some time getting a bootable floppy to work for a PCMCIA

NIC.
Two different brands, actually, for two different laptops. After messing

around
with PCMCIA drivers, I found that for each NIC (both were CardBus) there's

"Cardbus enabler", which eliminated the need for any other socket drivers.

didn't find it documented anywhere, other than some mention in a readme

file or
something like that. The enabler prog was found on the CD that came with

the
card.

Thanks for the tip. Yep, found the "Enabler Driver" on the driver floppy in
"Diagnostic" folder. Will try it later.