To Suck or Blow? That is the question :)

Old September 17th 03, 07:02 PM
Tony

Default To Suck or Blow? That is the question :)

Ive got two pc cases and they dont seem much cop as the one im currently
using only has two spaces for 80 mm fans (which ive got) and what I can
describe as aerated sides (must be great for dust protection (mind you the
holes arent massive but up to 2-3mm wide).

Neither has air holes at the front indicating space for a front fan.
My Aopen case has a plastic housing with a blank circular space underneath
the pc speaker, but again with out the holes I can only assume it cant be
for a fan. (We are going back to rainbow & playschool days here, square
doesnt fit circle It is a much meatier case than this budget job, but les
me down for not having USB front connectors although im sure its easier
enough to get a bracket to suit an empty 51/4 inch slot.

Im wondering a) how to configure my 80mm fans as a consequence, and that
maybe I should use on the the fans for side ventilation by cutting a
circular space out of it and protecting from the outside somewhat directly
adjacent to the cpu.

Since my options are currently limited (and I didnt want to go mad with
cooling, but be efficient as possible with what ive got, or get another fan
or whatever).
According to cooling guides you tend to have the front sucking and the back
of the case blowing the air out. As I cant achieve that with no location at
the front im wondering what the best solution is.
Ive got these fans BOTH blowing mostly air BACK into the case (which I think
is wrong usually, and besides makes for a bigger noise factor I think) and
that seems to have dropped things a bit. I dont think pointed the other way
round (blowing out the case) really makes a lot of difference without any
fans at the front.

Any creative ideas to help me achieve a good cooling solution?
Thanks very much for your time
Tony

Old September 18th 03, 04:08 AM
Jim

It really depends on the configuration of the case. As a general rule blow
cool air in at the bottom and hot air out at the top. This is more
efficient because the hot air rises by itself. In at the bottom front and
out at the top rear is the usual configuration and keeps the air moving in
most of the case. If you have only two openings on the back and good side
ventilation I would suggest blowing out as one in and one out will create a
small loop of air flow and much of the case will have little flow. If you
have only two hole on the back and poor side ventilation I would suggest
blowing in and the PSU fan can blow it back out.

My two cents
Jim

.. .

Old September 18th 03, 07:30 PM
Tony

Hi thanks Jim,

I dont know whether the weather (sorry bit of a tongue twister) has anything
to play in it (or fact my window is somewhat open too!), but im now stable
at 40c and 25 case, and has stayed at that all throughout my typing this
email. A good state. I am lucky from having a very aerated large room too,
so I am sympathetic to those in overly-centrally-heated rooms.

And ive only got a silent psu (absolutely minimal airflow I can feel coming
from that), and with the side case on too. I've set BOTH my 80mm fans on the
back BLOWING. They arent the loudest in the world fortunately only adding
marginally to overall volume, not like those awful cheap psu's you get with
cheap pc cases. Well under a pound each for each fan! (See ebuyer).

What I HAVE done that has made a huge diff to airflow, is cut away some of
the cheaply built slots that are a poor mans "fan cover" (just basically
there are horizontal cuts in the case, which have been angled diagonally so
that the airflow is shifted diagonally out of the case). Its a cheap case,
and guess what this design just doesnt work. However with these slats cut
away very amateurishly (needs some tidying up of sharp bits) seems to allow
for so much more airflow.
Still need to put some "finger guard" style minimalist fan covers over the
pathetic covers at the back which were there before and that should be
that.....since the side cover seems to allow enough sidewards flow of air
from front of the case (surprised that it isnt filtered though and may need
to look into putting a fine filter membrane on the side somehow (maybe even
like a fine gauze type material).

Tony

"Jim" wrote in message
t...
It really depends on the configuration of the case. As a general rule

blow
cool air in at the bottom and hot air out at the top. This is more
efficient because the hot air rises by itself. In at the bottom front

and
out at the top rear is the usual configuration and keeps the air moving in
most of the case. If you have only two openings on the back and good

side
ventilation I would suggest blowing out as one in and one out will create

small loop of air flow and much of the case will have little flow. If

you
have only two hole on the back and poor side ventilation I would suggest
blowing in and the PSU fan can blow it back out.

My two cents
Jim

.. .

Old September 19th 03, 06:08 AM
boostland

Make sure the case has positive pressure unless you want your computer box
to be a dyson.
A postive pressured computer box will have less dust inside compared to a
box with a low pressure, the dust will fall out of suspension just like the
cyclone in the dyson cleaner.
So blow blow and don't suck cause sucking sucks.

"Gravity is a Figment of the Imagination The Earth Sucks"
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q...f+the+Imaginat
ion+The+Earth+Sucks%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=DH1IwD.MEM%40resntl.
bhp.com.au&rnum=1

.. .