beginning the 64 bit war?

Old June 24th 03, 06:40 AM
Dakota650r

Default beginning the 64 bit war?

Any thoughts on 64bit computing and overclocking the new generation of chips? Just wondering what you all think about Apple's new G5 versus AMD's 64 bit offering due out for the home desktop market in September. Obviously you'd have a hard time overclocking an Apple but the new machine looks like it would be a good performer even compared to an overclocked AMD based system.

Hopefully this won't turn into a flame war....

Old June 24th 03, 01:07 PM
Kai Robinson

A hard time overclocking an apple? erm - well i'm using an overclocked
Powerbook G3 - so it cant be that difficult! Apples G3/G4/G5 towers use
jumpers to set the FSB/PCI/AGP/PCI-X clock speeds and ratios - and they dont
have a BIOS to do it. Apples use OpenFirmware - which, in essence, is more
powerful than a PC BIOS, just not so easy to understand. Still - theres no
reason why you cant overclock them

I wouldnt mind a G5 - thye look rather nice, and a 64-bit SMP machine
running an OS with a BSD core cant be all that bad

Kai

in article k.net,

Old June 24th 03, 07:27 PM
Paralyzed Ant

beginning the 64 bit war?"Kai Robinson" wrote in message

A hard time overclocking an apple? erm - well i'm using an
overclocked Powerbook G3 - so it cant be that difficult! Apples
G3/G4/G5 towers use jumpers to set the FSB/PCI/AGP/PCI-X clock speeds
and ratios - and they dont have a BIOS to do it. Apples use
OpenFirmware - which, in essence, is more powerful than a PC BIOS,
just not so easy to understand. Still - theres no reason why you cant
overclock them

Apple uses the firmware to keep Mac proprietary correct?

Hopefully this won't turn into a flame war....

Old June 24th 03, 09:59 PM
Robert Sligh

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 05:40:11 GMT, "Dakota650r" wrote:

Any thoughts on 64bit computing and overclocking the new generation of chips? Just wondering what you all think about Apple's new G5 versus AMD's 64 bit offering due out for the home desktop market in September. Obviously you'd have a hard time overclocking an Apple but the new machine looks like it would be a good performer even compared to an overclocked AMD based system.

Hopefully this won't turn into a flame war....

Thoughts ... I was at the AMD Tech Tour session in
Miami on June 17, 2003. I thought it was all good !
Yup ...Wile there I was talking to a few Mac'os that were
telling me all about Mac's ..Again and agian and again .
Mac is a leader.Mac has been a leader .
Mac will be a leader in the future . I used a Mac at work for years
I have a PC for my home .

As far as rewarding anyone with any pat on the back for a new
generation of chips. I want to wait untill 6 months after thay are
in the market place . I dont know how many of any one reading
this are in sales of any kind relating to Computers . But I can only
imagine how to explain to a newbie looking to play games and surf
the intrernet that a 2800 mhz is the same speed as a 1400 mhz
because the processor is made different )
At least Mac has a name G5 and it says it kicks butt..And I belive it will .

It's a good thing to be looking forward to faster systems using a AMD I
already have 400.00 put to the side to upgrade .
The AMD 64 will over clock if all I have read is close to the truth .
I got to admit next year will be intresting . I personaly look forward to
learning about all this new stuff .

PS no flame here just my thoughts

Old June 25th 03, 04:01 AM
Dakota650r

I didn't realize apples were that easy to oc. my last apple was a Apple II
GS. (when it first came out it was pretty kickass.) I've been eyeing the
17in powerbook. (lusting may be a more appropriate term.) I have begun to
get more interested in apples lately, especially since OS X. I like the
idea of the BSSD core / aqua interface and multiple RISC based cpus and I
really like the idea of 64bit computing. I mainly use my pc for MS Flight
Sim 2002 (other than the usual office, productivity and internet apps)
Flight sims are pretty cpu intensive as I understand it, and it would seem
to me that they would naturally be awesome on a multi processor 64bit
machine (as long as the program was optimized for that environment of
course!) Unfortunately the best flight sims out there are pc only though.
But if M$ or someone else comes out with a 64bit version of a flight sim for
use on either the 64 bit pc cpu (Intel or AMD) or apple G5 then I will be
highly motivated to upgrade to one or the other. Apples do tend to be
aesthetically pleasing........ (drooling)