IP4000-longevity of photos???

Old January 1st 05, 07:48 PM
MB_

Default IP4000-longevity of photos???

We got a new Canon IP4000 Pixma printer.

We like it.

I was just wondering: how long are the printed photos supposed to last?

Mel

Old January 1st 05, 08:02 PM
MB_

Let me add to this: I am printing on Kodak Premium Picture Paper (high
gloss) and I intend to keep the photos in an album.

Mel

Old January 1st 05, 10:21 PM
fay10

I use Generic Gloosy 4x6 Paper from the New Zealand Equivulent Of Tandy
Store.."Dick Smith Electronics" and they cost about $15NZ For 50 Sheets..
They claim a life of Fifty Years Plus!!

Old January 2nd 05, 04:54 AM
Caitlin

The ink is more of an issue than the paper though. Any decent quality paper
will probably last 50 years. I intend to print at least some of my photos
commercially, as I have experienced the sad effect of faded prints - most
of my childhood was recorded on Polaroid film in the 70's - most of it now
faded into shadowy haze.

I don't believe that the Canon, though I think it's a great printer, has
inks suitable for long term archiving. Your best option in that case is
still commercial print laboratories. There may be some more expensive photo
printers around that offer more stable ink technology, I'm guessing at a
much higher price. The Canon, and most standard inkjet printers no matter
how good the photo quality, don't claim to produce permanent photos. I don't
know what actual length of time they will last though.

Old January 2nd 05, 09:02 AM
SleeperMan

Caitlin wrote:
The ink is more of an issue than the paper though. Any decent quality
paper will probably last 50 years. I intend to print at least some of
my photos commercially, as I have experienced the sad effect of
faded prints - most of my childhood was recorded on Polaroid film in
the 70's - most of it now faded into shadowy haze.

I don't believe that the Canon, though I think it's a great printer,
has inks suitable for long term archiving. Your best option in that
case is still commercial print laboratories. There may be some more
expensive photo printers around that offer more stable ink
technology, I'm guessing at a much higher price. The Canon, and most
standard inkjet printers no matter how good the photo quality, don't
claim to produce permanent photos. I don't know what actual length of
time they will last though.

Canon claims their Photo paper Pro (PR-101) is supposely to last over 100
years with their original ink.
But, then again, we discussed this in looong thread "Epson beats them
all"....
read it and make your opinion...

Old January 2nd 05, 11:46 AM
Stevie Boy

I was just wondering: how long are the printed photos supposed to last?

This may help although it does not mention your printer it does give an idea
of lasting quality of various types of printers.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/4x6/...e_preview.html

Steve

Old January 2nd 05, 08:38 PM
SleeperMan

Richard wrote:
"MB_" wrote:

We got a new Canon IP4000 Pixma printer.

We like it.

I was just wondering: how long are the printed photos supposed to
last?

Mel

Please forgive me if my other post got through to your server. I
inadvertently sent before editing.

While Canon printers are outstanding in most regards, longevity is not
great.
The only Wilhelm-Research reference I could find was an old report for
the Canon S900 6 cartridge printer. Using Canons longest lasting
paper and Canon ink, the lifespan was estimated at 27 years. After
the "gas fade" debacle of a few years ago, these tests were redone
with added tests including gas fade. These tests produced much more
modest results with some die based prints fading within a few days to
months. I could not find these on his site.

Another site, http://www.livick.com/method/inkjet/pg2d.htm , lists the
Canon S9000 with various paper tests below. To be fair, none of the
Dye based printers do as well as pigment based printers for any
manufacturer. Fortunately, Epson has several long lasting printer
choices at different price points for those serious about longevity.

Printer Model: Canon S9000

Canon OEM Inks

Canon Photo Paper Pro, Rated At 2 Years

Kodak Premium Picture Paper, Rated At 4.5 Years

Epson Colorlife Paper, Rated At 11.5 Years

Epson Heavyweight Matte, Rated At 3.75 Years

Office Depot Premium Glossy, Rated At 4.25 Years

Red River Polar Satin, Rated At 5 Years

Red River Polar Gloss #66, Rated At 8 Years

Red River Ultra Pro Glossy, Rated At 2 Years

Red River Ultra Pro Satin, Rated At 2.75 years

Red River Premium Gloss, Rated At 2.5 Years

Ilford Galerie Classic Pearl, Rated At 10.5 Years

Ilford Galerie Classic Gloss, Rated At 12.2 Years

That's more intense info...
BUT
someone is lying...either livick site or Canon...since livick says 2 years
with photo pro, while Canon says 100 years with same paper and same their
inks.
Now, i do believe that canon lies somewhat (it figures, right?) , but i just
DON'T believe that they lie for 98 years...nope...even if they use different
test methods, results whould be the same, if not, whole test procedure is
just a bi gwaste of time.
BTW...they still didn't test i950 with bci6 and photo paper pro...*******s!

Old January 3rd 05, 01:41 AM
Hecate

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:07:26 GMT, Richard
wrote:

"MB_" wrote:

We got a new Canon IP4000 Pixma printer.

We like it.

I was just wondering: how long are the printed photos supposed to last?

Mel

Please forgive me if my other post got through to your server. I
inadvertently sent before editing.

While Canon printers are outstanding in most regards, longevity is not
great.

Yes. I just r4ead a couple of articles from separate sources, which
did ink fade tests over a 3-6 month period. They found the Canon inks
were the least stable.

--

Hecate - The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
Old January 3rd 05, 01:42 AM
Hecate

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:38:49 +0100, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

That's more intense info...
BUT
someone is lying...either livick site or Canon...since livick says 2 years
with photo pro, while Canon says 100 years with same paper and same their
inks.
Now, i do believe that canon lies somewhat (it figures, right?) , but i just
DON'T believe that they lie for 98 years...nope...even if they use different
test methods, results whould be the same, if not, whole test procedure is
just a bi gwaste of time.
BTW...they still didn't test i950 with bci6 and photo paper pro...*******s!

What you are missing it that Canon tests in ideal conditions. Livick
tests in "real world" conditions.

--

Hecate - The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
Old January 3rd 05, 03:29 AM
Caitlin

wrote:

That's more intense info...
BUT
someone is lying...either livick site or Canon...since livick says 2
years
with photo pro, while Canon says 100 years with same paper and same their
inks.
Now, i do believe that canon lies somewhat (it figures, right?) , but i
just
DON'T believe that they lie for 98 years...nope...even if they use
different
test methods, results whould be the same, if not, whole test procedure is
just a bi gwaste of time.
BTW...they still didn't test i950 with bci6 and photo paper
pro...*******s!

What you are missing it that Canon tests in ideal conditions. Livick
tests in "real world" conditions.

I'm afraid I'd agree. Not that Canon are lying necessarily - but it all
depends what they were testing for... I don't know enough about pigment
based inks to know how much better these are, but I'd probably still use a
lab printer to print my most precious prints (I say this - but haven't
actually done it yet!) Digital photography and the use of home printers is
a grave risk to personal photographic history I think that may see a lot of
family photos lost in decades to come.

Newbie question: Scanner recommendations - I have inherited a couple of thousand negatives and photos from the 1920s to the 1970s which I want to scan and save to CD awhiteford Scanners 7 December 18th 04 02:46 AM
Epson CX-6400 : why are my photos so ugly ? JPC Printers 2 December 2nd 04 07:37 AM
Printing photos with white borders Dory Printers 2 August 6th 04 06:44 PM
4x6 printers Kenneth Oakman Printers 8 February 29th 04 10:37 PM
Print more photos on one paper and save printing papers! Steve Chambers Printers 1 February 26th 04 07:20 PM