Printer's IP address

Old November 5th 20, 08:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Alex Trishan

Default Printer's IP address

How do I find the IP address of a printer on my network? Thanks.
Old November 5th 20, 09:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Eli the Bearded

In comp.periphs.printers, Alex Trishan wrote:
How do I find the IP address of a printer on my network? Thanks.

I don't know. How do _you_?

I use nmap sometimes. I walk up to the printer and select the print
system information option sometimes. I walk up to the printer and find
it on the on-screen config menu sometimes.

With DNS service discovery, I can sometimes find the printer by name,
and not need the IP address:

$ lpinfo --include-schemes dnssd -v
network dnssd://Brother%20HL-L6200DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3212300-80ce-11db-8000-3c2af4123123
$

That is on Linux, YMMV with other operating systems. Your lack of detail
about the printer, the network, and the OS(s) involved doesn't help.

Elijah
------
Windows should have an nmap equivalent, maybe even called nmap
Old November 6th 20, 12:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stuart[_3_]

In article ,
Alex Trishan wrote:
How do I find the IP address of a printer on my network? Thanks.

If you log on to your router, there will be a page with a list of devices
and the I.P. addresses asigned to them. There will be something that
identifies your printer, perhaps something like Epson... and beside it you
should find your printer's MAC address and I.P. address.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Old November 6th 20, 01:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
AnthonyL

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 14:30:51 -0500, Alex Trishan
wrote:

How do I find the IP address of a printer on my network? Thanks.

I'm a long time user of

https://angryip.org/

especially when it comes to sorting out my network but finds all
devices that have an IP on the same network.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Old November 6th 20, 02:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Chris Green

Alex Trishan wrote:
How do I find the IP address of a printer on my network? Thanks.

Run a decent DHCP/DNS server on your LAN and the printer will have a
name. I use dnsmasq running on a Raspberry Pi and so all the systems
and devices on my LAN have names. No need to know IPs.

--
Chris Green
·
Old November 24th 20, 08:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 12:15:39 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

I'm a long time user of
https://angryip.org/

I have a similar question, of greater detail, in that I know what my
printer IP address is, but I don't know how to find the _port_.

The reason the port matters is simply that some Android programs ask:
o How do you print from Android to your home networked printer on your LAN?
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/nTAYljkvVl4

Hence, I'll try this "angry IP" app to see what it tells me about my
o HP LaserJet 2100tn (connected on the same LAN subnet via Ethernet)

... My ad hoc sysinstall log follows...
mkdir x:\installers\network\scanner\angryip
https://angryip.org/
https://angryip.org/download/#windows
https://github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com...stuff
Name: ipscan-3.7.3-setup.exe
Size: 3019446 bytes (2948 KiB)
CRC32: 8416A268
CRC64: 2646920C3D6D1BD8
SHA256: DF2BCA8190A27477227F92A6825DCE00FDA7E2F5C2A2A3DA67 638B016FF62502
SHA1: 89177351A23D4EC1E2337273A9EE8271B077C1C7
BLAKE2sp: 7D7570FF0FF539488AA7ED3FF925A54596AD5375A934DD40F3 2C637D9C4DFB45
Run this IP Scanner 3.73 installer executable
It wants to go in C:\Program Files\Angry IP Scanner
I put it where it belongs C:\app\network\scanner\angryip
Note: You decide that; not a thousand different companies.
It installs quickly, with no obvious shenanigans (good).
Create a shortcut C:\menu\network\scanner\ipscan.lnk
Target C:\app\network\scanner\angryip\ipscan.exe
Start it: Taskbar menu network scanner ipscan
Uncheck [x]Send anonymous error reports
Hit [Next] quite a few times, and then [Close]

I'm not sure what to do next but I hit the big green "Start" button.
Aha! Up pops a Windows Defender Firewall blockage report:
Java(TM) Platform SE binary
C:\program files (x86)\common files\oracle\java\javapath_target_18549781\javaw.e xe

Scanning completed (it took about 20 seconds).
o IP Range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255
o Hosts alive: 9
o With open ports: 6

OK. I scroll down to find the printer, which doesn't show up "as" a
printer, but I happen to already know its IP address, where it says:
o IP = 192.168.0.20
o Ping = 2ms
o Hostname = [n/a]
o Ports[3+] = 80

I'm not sure what the "3+" means, but the rest seems pretty clear.
o Thanks for this advice to use this freeware Windows network scanner.
Old November 25th 20, 02:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
AnthonyL

On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 19:04:08 +0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

[...]

I think at various times I've had AngryIP blocked by various av
software etc despite it having been around a while

Others may have guidance on port scanning but there is another thread
on printing to windows 10 and it notes that AngryIP can scan for open
ports (Options-Select Ports ie range).

Old November 25th 20, 09:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 13:36:06 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

I think at various times I've had AngryIP blocked by various av
software etc despite it having been around a while

Thank you very much for your purposefully helpful advice on ipscan.

I don't use AV programs so I'm fine with AngryIP ipscan, which I like.
o AngryIP ipscan is simple - it just scans for devices & open ports

What it found for my printer turned out to be correct
o I hadn't realized my printer had port 80 open, but it did!
http://192.168.0.20:80 brought up an HP JetScan help document

Others may have guidance on port scanning but there is another thread
on printing to windows 10 and it notes that AngryIP can scan for open
ports (Options-Select Ports ie range).

In another thread, I'm trying to get printing to work from Android
directly from my Android phone (on my LAN via Wi-Fi) to the Ethernet'd
printer (on my LAN on the same subnet).
o Do you use Windows to print from your Android to your printer?
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/6ScU1H5Q43U

One thing that comes up is "CUPS", which seems to use port 631 by default.
o https://i.postimg.cc/6qRSK6WY/printing11.jpg Turn CUPS print server on
o https://i.postimg.cc/9fMnMYX4/printing12.jpg CUPS wants to use port 631

That begs the question of "what port" do printers normally use anyway?
Old November 27th 20, 01:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
AnthonyL

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 20:21:02 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

[...]

I've never printed from my Android but I've just switched my Epson
X)-6005 on which is connected to my WiFi (and a direct USB to my
notebook).

I then followed the Android's Help which says to go Connected Devices,
clicked on Connections preferences and then Printing which after a few
seconds found my Epson via Default Print services.

I don't know if there is a normal and I don't know which my setup
would use. I thought 80 was an output port only.

Another app I find useful is Port Authority which is available from
Fdroid. Quick scan of all your network and a port check too. If
you're not using the Fdroid repositiory you should have a look. I go
there nearly always in preference to Play Store and have a number of
useful apps, some of them the same as Play Store but without ads!!

hth

Old November 27th 20, 05:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
AnthonyL

wrote:

[...]

I've just printed something out, quite easily once I selected
colour/mono as an option. I wonder if Port 80 is to deliver printer
information and one of the other Ports to send the printing to?