Can't make audio CD containing MP3s

Old June 14th 11, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Rhino[_3_]

Default Can't make audio CD containing MP3s

I'm trying to do something that's supposed to be fairly simple but it's not
working. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

I am trying to make a CD containing MP3s that will play in my car CD player
and the CD player in my home stereo.

The MP3s live on my hard drive and play fine in iTunes. My media is a CD-RW
from Staples. I've tried burning the CD using the Windows Media Player
(Version 11) and all seemed to go well during the burning except that the
resulting CD will play on my computer but not in my home or car stereos.

I had the same result when I burned the CD via Express Burn: no errors
during the burning but the disk wouldn't play in the home or car stereos.

Both the car and home stereos are fairly old; the car stereo is the original
Honda player in my 2001 Accord. The home stereo is somewhat older.

I thought perhaps the CD-RW I was using was defective in some way, even
though it is brand new so I tried burning the disk again with Express Burn
using another new CD-RW but the new CD-RW had the same problem. I also tried
making the CD-RW with Windows Media Player on the newer CD-RW but got "no
disc" from my Sony home stereo CD player when I tried to play it.

I'm not a computer newbie by a long shot, although I've never had much to do
with burning music CDs and have never tried to make an audio CD containing
MP3s before. I'm guessing that I'm making some kind of fundamental
conceptual mistake....

Anyway, can someone confirm that Windows Media Player 11 and Express Burn
are appropriate programs to use to make an audio CD consisting of MP3s that
will play in an older car stereo? If they are, then perhaps you can help me
figure out what mistake I am making....

--
Rhino

Old June 14th 11, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Noik

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:33:45 -0400, "Rhino"
wrote:

I'm trying to do something that's supposed to be fairly simple but it's not
working. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

I am trying to make a CD containing MP3s that will play in my car CD player
and the CD player in my home stereo.

The MP3s live on my hard drive and play fine in iTunes. My media is a CD-RW
from Staples.

Try using CD-R rather than CD-RW media. CDRs have lower reflectivity
than stamped CDs, and CDRWs have even lower reflectivity than CDRs.
The lower reflectivity can cause problems with CD players.
Old June 14th 11, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Rhino[_3_]

wrote:

I'm trying to do something that's supposed to be fairly simple but it's
not
working. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

I am trying to make a CD containing MP3s that will play in my car CD
player
and the CD player in my home stereo.

The MP3s live on my hard drive and play fine in iTunes. My media is a
CD-RW
from Staples.

Try using CD-R rather than CD-RW media. CDRs have lower reflectivity
than stamped CDs, and CDRWs have even lower reflectivity than CDRs.
The lower reflectivity can cause problems with CD players.

I will give it a try on a CD-R just to see if it makes a difference and I'll
report back here with the result.

But I really want to be able to write onto CD-RWs if I can. I have a bunch
of MP3s that I really want to be able to play in the car without buying an
expensive new car stereo. I'd like to be able to put a bunch of MP3s on a
CD-RW, play it for a couple of weeks, then erase it and put different music
on it for the next few weeks, etc. so that I get a good variety of music
without having to buy (and store) a whole bunch of permanent CDs. If you
have any suggestions that would help me accomplish that, I'd love to hear
them.

--
Rhino

Old June 14th 11, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Noik

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:49:59 -0400, "Rhino"
wrote:

I'd like to be able to put a bunch of MP3s on a
CD-RW, play it for a couple of weeks, then erase it and put different music
on it for the next few weeks, etc.

Wait, are you burning data CDs or audio CDs? They're two different
formats. Many, possibly most, CD players won't know what to do with a
disk containing Mp3 files.
Old June 15th 11, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Rhino[_3_]

wrote:

I'd like to be able to put a bunch of MP3s on a
CD-RW, play it for a couple of weeks, then erase it and put different
music
on it for the next few weeks, etc.

Wait, are you burning data CDs or audio CDs? They're two different
formats. Many, possibly most, CD players won't know what to do with a
disk containing Mp3 files.

When I burned the CD-RW with Windows Media Player, I simply clicked on "Burn
CD" and there was no choice between making an audio CD or a data CD; I
assume it made an audio CD. When I burned the CD-RW with Express Burn, I
wasn't sure if I should make an audio CD or a data CD but it seemed very
unlikely to me that a 10 year old car stereo would have any idea what to do
with a data CD so I chose audio CD. As I've said before, those failed to
play in either the home stereo or the car stereo.

After reading your advice to try a CD-R instead of a CD-RW, I tried burning
the CD again in Windows Media Player but it didn't like the blank disc for
some reason and spit it out. I'm not sure why and am rather curious about
that. But when I burned it as an audio CD with Express Burn, everything
seemed to go fine. Much to my surprise, that CD-R plays fine in both my home
stereo and the car stereo!

So, I'm not sure why Windows Media Player had a problem with it but Express
Burn did fine with it. It looks like your theory about the reflectivity may
be on the mark.

I'd still like to burn CD-RWs though so that I can erase the music regularly
and replace it with other things.

Do you see any way that I could make that happen?

--
Rhino

Old June 15th 11, 05:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Rhino[_3_]

Noik wrote in message ...
On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:46:55 -0500, wrote:

Do you see any way that I could make that happen?

I use nothing but CD-RWs and I have never had a problem.

Are you using the same CD players he's using? And the same burner?
And the same media?

I use WMP to burn them.

The "burn quality" is a factor, and that has to do with the burner
and burner/media compatibility, not the software.

You have a problem with something else besides WMP or the type of CD
used. Maybe your WMP install is bad?

Something's going on there, but the type of CD media, the burner
itself, and the reader can *definitely* be factors in the
readability/playability of a burned CD. What I said about burned CDs
having lower reflectivity, and CDRW having lower reflectivity than
CDR, is a fact, and it's also a fact that that lower reflectivity
causes problems for some CD players.

So maybe the best move would be to try a different brand of media? It's a
LiteOn burner - model DH-20A4H - so perhaps the website will indicate brands
of CD-RWs that work well with it. (And then maybe I can actually find one of
those brands in the stores....)

The other alternative would be a different burner, which wouldn't be
completely crazy either. I've never been able to get the DMA to work on this
burner although I've got a question in to LiteOn about that; maybe they'll
have a solution. Burners are pretty cheap these days....

Are there any CD/DVD burners that have a particularly good reputation and
are also affordable and work with most of the major brands of media?

--
Rhino

Old June 15th 11, 08:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Noik

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 00:03:45 -0400, "Rhino"
wrote:

Once upon a time I was kinda up-to-date on what was going on with CD
media/burners. That was back when it was constantly evolving with
higher burn speeds, different dyes being used by different
manufacturers, etc. Things have stabilized now, at least as far as
burn speeds go, and it's a technology that's looking at End Of Life
eyeball to eyeball. And when it got to the point where it all "just
worked" for me, I stopped paying attention. Burner/media compatibility
used to be *very* important. It probably isn't now. But I'd bet that
there are *lots* of crappy burners on the market now.

So maybe the best move would be to try a different brand of media?

For CDRW? Dunno, maybe. I'd guess not, there's no way around the
lower reflectivity.

It's a
LiteOn burner - model DH-20A4H - so perhaps the website will indicate brands
of CD-RWs that work well with it.

It might, but I'd guess that media is so standardized these days
that you won't find info like that. Liteon had a *very* good
reputation back when I was paying attention. I had one, and they'd
regularly update the firmware to accomodate the new media that the
manufacturers were coming out with.

(And then maybe I can actually find one of
those brands in the stores....)

That *is* a bit tricky. Manufacturers generally don't put their
brand on media, and brands generally buy from several manufacturers.
But stay away from Memorex. I really do believe that they buy the
dregs that didn't meet the specs of other brands.

The other alternative would be a different burner, which wouldn't be
completely crazy either. I've never been able to get the DMA to work on this
burner although I've got a question in to LiteOn about that; maybe they'll
have a solution. Burners are pretty cheap these days....

Not having DMA could kinda suck. But not like in the old days where
if the burner had a "buffer underrun" it would present you with a
coaster. ;-)

Are there any CD/DVD burners that have a particularly good reputation and
are also affordable and work with most of the major brands of media?

Based on what I know from years ago, I would say Liteon. ;-)
Old June 15th 11, 02:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Rhino[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I dug up the manual for the burner and it specifies recommended media. For
CD-RW, it breaks them into three categories:
- low speed: CMC, Daxon, Gigastorage, Infordisc, LeadData, MCC, Princo,
Prodisc, Ricoh, Ritek
- high speed: CMC, Daxon, Fornet, Gigastorage, InfoDisc, LeadData, MCC,
NanYa, Princo, Prodisc, Ricoh, Ritek
- ultra speed: CMC, Daxon, Infodisc, Mitsubishi, Prodisc, Ritek

Of course they don't bother to clarify what they mean by "low speed", "high
speed", or "ultra speed". I assume this has something to do with burning
speeds, which are 1X, 2X, and 4X in my case. You don't happen to know what
they mean by low, high or ultra speed do you? Perhaps its a standard
industry term?

Also, they play the Cover Your Ass game by saying that all of their
recommendations are subject to change without notice, just in case one of
those manufacturers starts generating large quantities of crap.

(And then maybe I can actually find one of
those brands in the stores....)

That *is* a bit tricky. Manufacturers generally don't put their
brand on media, and brands generally buy from several manufacturers.
But stay away from Memorex. I really do believe that they buy the
dregs that didn't meet the specs of other brands.

I don't remember seeing ANY of the different recommended brands listed above
in my local stores but I could look around; maybe I'll get lucky. But it
seems like a crapshoot. After all, aren't most of the house brands that you
buy at places like Staples actually made by a major manufacturer and the
store then just puts its house brand on it? So maybe the Staples CD-RWs I
have _are_ one of the recommended brands for this drive. Or not. The stores,
of course, are sworn not to tell you what brand you are really buying....

For what it's worth, I mostly use Memorex media in the burner - I mostly
burn DVDs - and I've had very good luck with them. You may be right about
their overall quality but I don't have any bad experiences with them.

The other alternative would be a different burner, which wouldn't be
completely crazy either. I've never been able to get the DMA to work on
this
burner although I've got a question in to LiteOn about that; maybe they'll
have a solution. Burners are pretty cheap these days....

Not having DMA could kinda suck. But not like in the old days where
if the burner had a "buffer underrun" it would present you with a
coaster. ;-)

Are there any CD/DVD burners that have a particularly good reputation and
are also affordable and work with most of the major brands of media?

Based on what I know from years ago, I would say Liteon. ;-)

So I'm using one of the best-regarded burners, appropriate software and the
right techniques but my CD-RWs are still duds and no one can actually give
me an actionable plan for getting better results? Darn! Some days, you just
can't win....

Maybe I'll just have to burn CD-Rs then.

--
Rhino

Old June 16th 11, 12:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Tony[_3_]

Go to the nearest warez site and get some real software. Burn the cd in disk at
once mode. Never use memorex or imation cd's. Problem solved.

Rhino wrote:

[...]

The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
the job for potty mouth,

Burring, i'll get this one What's your problem jerk?

I hate them both, With useless bogus bull**** you need at least *three* fulltime
jobs to afford either one of them

I'm a fulltime text *only* man on usenet now. The rest of the world downloads
the binary files not me i can't afford thousands of dollars a month

UBB = User based bullFROGGING

realm of understandability

This sig file was compiled via my journeys through usenet