Why does the BIOS setup screen always come up?

Old January 11th 08, 01:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Olcott

Default Why does the BIOS setup screen always come up?

Intel desktop motherboard D865GBF, my bios setup screen now
always comes up, why would this be?

Old January 11th 08, 02:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gerard Bok

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:59:28 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
wrote:

Intel desktop motherboard D865GBF, my bios setup screen now
always comes up, why would this be?

Because you have the option 'logo' deselected :-)

(It's either one of two: logo or technical data. If you insist on
a black screen, you need to save a black screen as 'logo'. I
wouldn't advice that to an end user though.)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
Old January 11th 08, 03:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
PeteOlcott

wrote:
Intel desktop motherboard D865GBF, my bios setup screen now
always comes up, why would this be?

Because you have the option 'logo' deselected :-)

(It's either one of two: logo or technical data. If you insist on
a black screen, you need to save a black screen as 'logo'. I
wouldn't advice that to an end user though.)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Let me rephrase the question, what hardware errors or software
problems (corrupted or virus infected executables) could cause the
BIOS setup screen to always come up?
Old January 11th 08, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken[_5_]

wrote:
Intel desktop motherboard D865GBF, my bios setup screen now
always comes up, why would this be?

Because you have the option 'logo' deselected :-)

(It's either one of two: logo or technical data. If you insist on
a black screen, you need to save a black screen as 'logo'. I
wouldn't advice that to an end user though.)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Let me rephrase the question, what hardware errors or software
problems (corrupted or virus infected executables) could cause the
BIOS setup screen to always come up?

If I understand your problem correctly, the bios setup screen will come
up when any designated hardware item is not correctly set. This could
be the HD parameters, the floppy type, or most any such device. See if
ALL your items are set correctly.
Old January 11th 08, 04:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gerard Bok

wrote:
Intel desktop motherboard D865GBF, my bios setup screen now
always comes up, why would this be?

Because you have the option 'logo' deselected :-)

(It's either one of two: logo or technical data. If you insist on
a black screen, you need to save a black screen as 'logo'. I
wouldn't advice that to an end user though.)

Let me rephrase the question, what hardware errors or software
problems (corrupted or virus infected executables) could cause the
BIOS setup screen to always come up?

Now you make it realy difficult :-)

Basically, switching between logo and text is controlled by a bit
in the cmos configuration data. (Which actually is kept in eeprom
in modern computers.)

That bit can be set or reset via the BIOS settings (almost
always) and by means of a BIOS control program (as used by repair
engineers.)

If you are talking about the INTEL motherbord, I suggest you
enable 'silent boot' under the 'boot' section in the BIOS.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
Old January 11th 08, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:
Intel desktop motherboard D865GBF, my bios setup screen now
always comes up, why would this be?

Because you have the option 'logo' deselected :-)

(It's either one of two: logo or technical data. If you insist on
a black screen, you need to save a black screen as 'logo'. I
wouldn't advice that to an end user though.)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Let me rephrase the question, what hardware errors or software
problems (corrupted or virus infected executables) could cause the
BIOS setup screen to always come up?

Halting on errors depends on what the bios considers an
error. Two of the most common are keyboard or disk related
and you may have a setting in the bios to determine if it
halts on any and/or all errors.

Enter the bios menu and see if it has kept the correct time.
If not, set to the correct time. Either way even if you
made no changes, exit the bios _saving_ changes... then see
if it still stops at that screen.

Perhaps a good question would be what you have changed since
the last time the bios checks finished without stopping and
entering the bios menu?
Old January 11th 08, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
PeteOlcott

wrote:
[...]

entering the bios menu?- Hide quoted text -

I have not intentionally changed anything at all.
Old January 11th 08, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

PeteOlcott wrote:

I have not intentionally changed anything at all.

If you have a PS/2 keyboard failure, the BIOS will halt.
On my oldest computer, setting the BIOS to

"Halt On" [No error]

disables the halting function, so that the BIOS will
not get stuck if the keyboard is missing. If you have
a working keyboard that the BIOS can get input from,
then you'd be able to try that setting. On my BIOS, the
[No error] thing is not the default. If I were to clear the
CMOS, then I'd get stuck on the keyboard check again
(assuming my keyboard was broken/non-functional/missing).

Other halting functions can be based on the hardware
monitor chip. A wrong voltage, temperature, or a fan
operating at low RPMs, may be a reason to halt and
prompt the user to press F1 or whatever. On one of
my machines where that happens all the time, the BIOS
doesn't say what the problem is - it just halts, and
expects the user to use a crystal ball to figure out
what the problem might be. There is no text prompt
on the screen saying "your power supply fan speed is
slightly less than 1800 RPM".

Paul

Old January 12th 08, 10:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Peter Olcott" wrote in message
Intel desktop motherboard D865GBF, my bios setup screen now
always comes up, why would this be?

Normall, the bios screen would always come up prior to the OS loading.
If the machine loads the OS allright and your date and time are OK...
then there is nothing to worry about.

However...if you need to reset the bios each time
and your date and time are lost...
then your CMOS battery is dead