Getting rid of HP services and software on your PC

Old April 17th 19, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Getting rid of HP services and software on your PC

In Windows 10 I no longer use HP printers or scanners, have not for years (last time I think I was running Windows 7 or 8 on this machine, so these HP settings may have migrated over from those OSes, since I did not do a clean install of Windows 10), but under the Task Manager, "Background Processes" I noticed a bunch of HP services running in memory. I tried to uninstall the HP software using the Uninstall feature in Windows but after rebooting the services would not go away. I realized that HP printers were not even showing up in the Printer & Scanners section of Windows, but the HP Uninstall program, which had a bug, kept saying essentially it could not uninstall all features (there were about six different programs by HP the HP Uninstall program was trying to delete, I ran it several times and it took forever to try and uninstall some of them, not sure if any were successfully uninstalled). I tried using CCleaner (free) but I notice that unlike the old free versions and maybe unlike the present pro (paid) version (not sure about this), CCleaner does not use it's own "deep scan" feature which used to scan the registry, but relies on the vendor uninstall program, which in the case of HP sucks and/or is defective as I mention above. What to do? Below is my protocol that worked. What's amazing is the huge number of registry entries, 1152 such entries that were deleted by CCleaner, related to a simple HP printer (an "All-in-One" model) that I used to use. Amazing. Though I think the services had minimal impact in bootup, I do notice that bootup seems faster now, and I have less of these services in memory. The CCleaner did not do anything bad by deleting these registry entries, though I did backup just to be safe.

Why do such simple programs have so many registry entries and hooks? It also seems that "svchost.exe", a Windows systems file which should not be deleted, is used as a helper program to load some of these services into memory.

RL

Protocol:

Using Microsoft Management Console "Service", set to "Manual" (from "Automatic") all HP "automatic" services (*see [1] for partial list, not all of them, there are more, about five to seven in total, all prefixed by "HP"), then, reboot, then use CCleaner (free version) to check registry and clean it, after saving it, rename "HP" folder in folder "\Program Files" to something else (which had sub-folders "Digital Imaging" and "HPSSUPPLY" inside of it, as well as "Temp") note Windows will not let you rename this folder to something else if you still have in memory HP services running, which is a good way to check to see if you stopped and renamed to Manual from Automatic all such services, reboot, then use CCleaner to check registry and clean it, and it found 1152 (!) entries, which it deleted.

Problem fixed!

RL

[1] Partial list of Services by HP printer (many more, like HP Cue* and many similar stuff prefixed by "HP):

HPSSUPPLY, Digital Imaging
hpqddsvc - HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service

C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k HPService = path to executable, HPSLPSVC = service name, HP Network Devices Support = Display name

C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k hpdevmgmt = path to executable, hpqcxs08 = service name
Old April 17th 19, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Filip454[_2_]

W dniu 2019-04-18 oÂ*00:06, RayLopez99 pisze:

[...]

I think that the best solution would be to download the official
Microsoft OS image and do a fresh install of Windows 10.

They have changed something in the latest builds - my Pentium based
laptop was very slow when running on older installation of Windows 10,
despite the fact that it had been updated before.

I do not know what was it but they surely changed a lot in the "core" of
Windows 10. It is not as sluggish as it used to be.

--
Filip454
]
Old April 17th 19, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 6:39:53 PM UTC-4, Filip454 wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I have in my notes the tool in MS-DOS Cmd mode to get the Windows Key (my Windows OS is a non-pirated, licensed version) and I think I can do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 Home 32x ver, as you suggest. Indeed, even with an SSD and a Core2 Duo chip on this machine, with 4 GB RAM, which I know is not the fastest PC, the bootup is slow and the system sometimes freezes up (I think due to the fact the Centrino Wireless chip screws up, so I also have a Cisco USB wireless dongle that I plug in when that happens and I get wireless again until the Centrino chip comes alive again).

I will put this project on my "to do" list, if I can find all the original software like MS-Office 2007 I have stored in various backups to reload them. Not on my priority list at the moment, since this slow laptop I use for accounting purposes and official POP3 emails for business purposes and not for gaming anyway, or for programming, so I don't care that much about the speed. I would not have even fixed the HP driver and services problem I talk about in my OP except I had some time to kill today. I posted here in case somebody searches the net and comes up with this thread. Most of the advice on the net I found rather poor, something along the lines of use Windows Uninstall, which, as I say, for the HP OfficeJet and related software, uninstall did not work.

RL

services.exe gone wild cew Intel 5 May 3rd 08 12:20 AM
atitools and ATI services (what is that) sl Ati Videocards 1 September 9th 07 10:54 PM
XP Services Ray Homebuilt PC's 2 May 18th 05 04:40 PM
Contemporary developments, one relating to hardware, one to software and one relating to services. nicole n General Hardware 1 November 7th 03 04:39 PM
Allow MS services to connect? Steve Dell Computers 7 October 16th 03 07:41 PM