P4 3.6 running at 98C..................

Old November 2nd 06, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Gaz

Default P4 3.6 running at 98C..................

Have a serious problem with a new p5n32-sle se deluxe motherboard. The board
is lga775, and seems compatible with pretty much all the P4s of that socket.

Tried two different processers, with two different stock fans, one processer
is a P4 Extreme 3.73, and the other is a p4 prescott (524) 3.06, getting
the massive temperature of 97 - 98C, it doesnt seem to change under
load. I get that temperature from the bios, and also the asus windows
utility, tried latest bios, no difference in temps.

I have just installed a heatsink/fan that is secured by a bracket underneath
and screws tight, it doesnt make any difference. The heatsink is barely warm
to touch, there is no noticable heat underneath the board.

I have made sure the application of the paste is very sparing, as it should
be. XP seems to load and work fine, it benchmarks ok, it runs 3dmark and
prime95 for as long as i run them... I do get what seems a slight pause
occasionally, the cpu benchmarks within Sandra seem to be in line with
similar processers.

Is there anyway to accurately measure the internal temp of the CPU??

Gaz

(originally posted in uk.comp.homebuilt, but none of the suggestions have
improved the situation)

Old November 3rd 06, 01:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

An obvious question is whether those temps are accurate, because they
are so high that the CPU would probalby be destroyed if they were real.

Try the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT). There was a link in a
posting in this newsgroup about 24 hours ago in a thread very much like
yours (only core 2 duo).

Old November 3rd 06, 06:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Gaz wrote:
[...]

The processor temperature is measured via a diode on the silicon
die. The diode is connected to the hardware monitor. The trick is
to find a program that knows how to read the hardware monitor
properly. Asus Probe is one possible solution (and since there
are a couple of versions on the Asus site, you have to be careful
which one you use). Speedfan (almico.com) is another potential
solution, with the problem there being, figuring out which
temperature readout is which. Speedfan labels the channels
"Temp1", "Temp2", "Temp3", and you have to guess at what
you are reading.

http://www.almico.com/forumsensors.php (check to see if your chip is here)
http://www.almico.com/forummotherboards.php (hmmm. No P5N32...)

I guess that leaves Asus Probe. Some people don't like the
"ProbeII" version, but give it a try just to see what
temperature value it sees. Uninstall any older version
you might be using first.

ftp://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc...obeII10305.zip

In the old days, temperature conversion was done by measuring
the voltage across the diode, and then software converted the
voltage value, to a temperature. Recent hardware monitor
chips, have a table lookup inside them, where they convert
the reading, into a value in degrees C. One problem with
the hardware monitor, is a thermal channel can either be
in thermistor mode, or in diode mode (and the mode changes
the lookup table). If the software program using the Hardware
Monitor does not set the mode correctly, then erroneous
values are the result. Each of the three temperature channels
has to be set in diode or thermistor mode, as is appropriate
for the kind of detector connected to the channel.

You can also read the temperature while sitting in the BIOS.
But you still don't know for certain, whether the BIOS is
doing the temperature reading properly or not.

Paul