CS8416 digital receiver chip [DAC]

Old April 22nd 19, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default CS8416 digital receiver chip [DAC]

Took apart the DAC I like and looked for the chip nomenclatures.

No wonder I kept telling myself the thing was special, either that or
my ears were growing aesthetics.

Tracked it to all over hifi forums and Ebay in kit form.

This one is minor, apart from knowing what the end of a soldering iron
means when going after the Cirrus Logic chip:
http://pavouk.org/hw/modulardac/en_cs8416spdif.html

CS8416 kits on ebay, a couple go similar, but most are totally nuts in
much higher relative build complexity. (And, as a courtesy, offer to
do the surface mounting.)

Messes with me. How in the hell can a little chip like that on a
TOSLINK light-carrier cable make sound so damn good.
Old April 28th 19, 08:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 5:18:06 PM UTC-4, Flasherly wrote:
Took apart the DAC I like and looked for the chip nomenclatures.

No wonder I kept telling myself the thing was special, either that or
my ears were growing aesthetics.

Tracked it to all over hifi forums and Ebay in kit form.

This one is minor, apart from knowing what the end of a soldering iron
means when going after the Cirrus Logic chip:
http://pavouk.org/hw/modulardac/en_cs8416spdif.html

CS8416 kits on ebay, a couple go similar, but most are totally nuts in
much higher relative build complexity. (And, as a courtesy, offer to
do the surface mounting.)

Messes with me. How in the hell can a little chip like that on a
TOSLINK light-carrier cable make sound so damn good.

You a electronics hobbyist? I wish I could have picked your brains when I was trying to construct a linear actuator for my Philippines chicken egg incubator. Long story short, you can construct a 'lost motion' linkage so that the rotational drive shaft of an electric motor drives something back and forth (think of those old Western movie locomotives), but to create, even using Raspberry Pi kits, an arm that goes back and forth, like a piston, is very difficult, and after a couple of weeks of inquiry, pretty much impossible, which led me to believe the entire Raspberry Pi movement was bogus. If they can't even design a linear actuator, how good can they really be?

I ended up getting a boy--labor is cheap in the Philippines, especially out in the countryside--to manually turn the eggs in the incubator (which we built from scratch) twice a day, which is "good enough" to hatch chicks without the physical deformities that occur if eggs are not rotated (in the wild, the brooding hen does that every half hour or so, slightly). But what killed my egg and ultimately chicken business (what comes first? The chicken or the egg? It's the egg. Without cheap eggs you cannot raise cheap chickens, since the cost of chicks--they are only about 75 cents or so, but it's a big factor when chickens are selling for about $2.50 or so a kilogram, and Cornish meat chickens take about 30 days to reach market size of 1 kg) is the fact that if an egg is unheated for between 30 minutes to an hour or more --it varies depending on the outside temperature and the Philippines are a tropical country--the egg will die. So with the frequent every other day power outages, which often last 30 minutes but sometimes more, all my 60 or so eggs died except two. So that was the end of my chicken raising experiment. It was fun while it lasted, and the neighborhood loved it, my prices were about equal to those of the supermarket but my profit margins were zero, and I learned a lot about chickens.

RL
Old April 28th 19, 10:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

RayLopez99 wrote:
[...]

I somehow doubt in 2019, you have to design something like
that from scratch.

https://incubatorwarehouse.com/egg-i...g-turners.html

For power, you could use a couple Tesla Powerwalls or equivalent.

That wouldn't be economical as a heat source, but for keeping
other automation running, could last quite a while. It's basically
a giant-sized UPS.

I don't know what I'd use for heat. We have pellet-stoves here,
which have auger-driven fueling (auger puts pellets into the
stove as required). You still have to fill the bin with
pellets regularly to keep it fueled. Liquid fuels could be
too expensive, and natural gas is only practical if your city
has the plumbing for it. Where I live now has natural gas,
my old city does not.

Paul
Old April 29th 19, 01:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 12:19:49 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

[...]

It's a hybrid thing where computer technology and music meet
traditional vacuum-tube high fidelity systems of old.

Physical vacuum tube pre-amp buffers, along with an AESIS TOSLINK
S/PDIF protocol, streamed out of the computer storage of bit-grade
music, on a laser cable, is then serviced by DAC unit for transforming
into an analogue compatible counterpart for traditional copper amp
input jacks.

What's happening, near as I can figure now, is where the hardcore tube
tradionalists cite a treble notch or two up on their amps. That
clarity in tone, all the "bell chimes or crystal glass ringtones",
along with odd-harmonic tube characteristics, is what a DAC offers in
hybridized form.

Not to mention price. Cheap thrills versus $3000 vintage tube amps. I
see potentials. I also found that why to me it sounds so good, is
that the DAC I bought is a "first generation", when the stress in
using a Cirrus Logic 8614 was accuracy. Notably high-frequency
bandpass. Since then, over a couple years, taste has gone into
different directions on tonality and the Cirrus isn't as prominent an
objective among DACs.

Generally cheap DAC thrills. Hi-Fi isn't entirely a discipline, but a
nuthouse of loose patients when it comes to throwing money into that
well.

(Chickens, huh? I worked chicken ranches for a spell in college: my
grades would plummet between fryer harvests. Brutal stuff.)
Old April 29th 19, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 5:20:04 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

I somehow doubt in 2019, you have to design something like
that from scratch.

https://incubatorwarehouse.com/egg-i...g-turners.html

For power, you could use a couple Tesla Powerwalls or equivalent.

That wouldn't be economical as a heat source, but for keeping
other automation running, could last quite a while. It's basically
a giant-sized UPS.

I don't know what I'd use for heat. We have pellet-stoves here,
which have auger-driven fueling (auger puts pellets into the
stove as required). You still have to fill the bin with
pellets regularly to keep it fueled. Liquid fuels could be
too expensive, and natural gas is only practical if your city
has the plumbing for it. Where I live now has natural gas,
my old city does not.

Paul

I could not find a few years ago this site you reference. As I recall the only thing I found that was suitable was a unit that cost $1000 US, which for my experimental farm was too much (they also had a super cool chicken dressing and and feather plucking machine for about that much or more, which would have been nice if I went into business, as it turns out cleaning the chickens of their tiny feathers is the biggest hassle and bottleneck).

However, in the Philippines they have a duty tax that often nearly doubles the price unless a friend ships it to you, and it takes about a month or longer (two months is not uncommon), unless you use FedEx, which would also increase the price. The other day I sent some small electronics to PH and it cost $80 from the DC area to Manila.

The incubator I built was for several hundred eggs, actually a guy who raises fighting cock told me it was too big. It was just more convenient to buy the chicks, which were fine, though I'm not sure that the inoculated them for poultry disease or not.

As for natural gas, it's sold in bottles. Electricity is expensive in rural PH, about 3x the price in the USA.

Thanks,

RL