ATI Rage 128 Mobility 2X M3 8B

Old April 7th 04, 04:19 AM
Fearless

Default ATI Rage 128 Mobility 2X M3 8B

I've got a C600 laptop with the aforementioned video card. It has a
standard Dell 14.1" flat panel laptop LCD.

For some obscure reason, RedHat 9.0 has no trouble with this combination,
but Fedora Core 1 cannot cope with one or the other of the two.

XFree86 won't run under any of the standard "known" configurations. It
correctly identifies the card, but completely barfs on the LCD.

It insists on using HSync rates of 31.5 - 48.0 and VRefresh of 59.0 - 70.0

I am unable to find the true specs of the LCD in combination with that video
card, but have found that by changing both HSync (31.5 - 90) and VRefresh
(59.0 - 70.0) I can get everything running "correctly". What I don't know
is whether those rates will "harm" anything.

Does anyone have a pointer to the actual specs for the card/LCD combination?

Thanks.

--
Antispam measures in place.
If you want to email me, post here with a real email

Powered by Tyrannochoerus

Old April 7th 04, 04:59 AM
Buck Rogers

Fearless wrote:

I've got a C600 laptop with the aforementioned video card. It has a
standard Dell 14.1" flat panel laptop LCD.

For some obscure reason, RedHat 9.0 has no trouble with this combination,
but Fedora Core 1 cannot cope with one or the other of the two.

XFree86 won't run under any of the standard "known" configurations. It
correctly identifies the card, but completely barfs on the LCD.

It insists on using HSync rates of 31.5 - 48.0 and VRefresh of 59.0 - 70.0

I am unable to find the true specs of the LCD in combination with that video
card, but have found that by changing both HSync (31.5 - 90) and VRefresh
(59.0 - 70.0) I can get everything running "correctly". What I don't know
is whether those rates will "harm" anything.

Does anyone have a pointer to the actual specs for the card/LCD combination?

Thanks.

Try this:

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/syst...n/ug/specs.htm

It doesn't have the specific H&VRefresh specifications, but it's a
start.

It is unlikely XFree86 for RH 9 and Fedora Core( I assume you're using
Core 1 - The community Core 2 was released very recently) are the same,
therefore the default xf86config file might have different settings.

If it works in RH 9, why not record the working configuration and
edit the xf86config file in Fedora?

With respect to changing the HSync to make it work, that is dangerous.
If I was you, I'd rather downgrade to RH9 until I know /exactly/ the
V&HRefresh specifications of the machine rather than risk frying the
display. Try googling for the specifications.

Hope that helps.

Buck.
Old April 7th 04, 03:16 PM
Fearless

"Buck Rogers" wrote in message
Try this:

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/syst...n/ug/specs.htm

It doesn't have the specific H&VRefresh specifications, but it's a
start.

Unfortunately that's what I need to find.

It is unlikely XFree86 for RH 9 and Fedora Core( I assume you're using
Core 1 - The community Core 2 was released very recently) are the same,
therefore the default xf86config file might have different settings.

If it works in RH 9, why not record the working configuration and
edit the xf86config file in Fedora?

Because the working configuration in RH9 is the same as the non-working
configuration in Fedora Core.

With respect to changing the HSync to make it work, that is dangerous.
If I was you, I'd rather downgrade to RH9 until I know /exactly/ the
V&HRefresh specifications of the machine rather than risk frying the
display. Try googling for the specifications.

Believe me I've tried. There are so many different OEM versions of the ATI
card and several different size displays that no one has bothered to post
the H and V refresh rates anywhere that I've seen. This is a commonly
discussed topic that shows up hundreds of time in a google search. The
answers vary ALL over the map. No one seems to know exactly what the magic
settings are.

Hope that helps.

Buck.