Poor photo print quality using 58 photo cartridge on HP6110 All-in-one

Old July 29th 03, 04:38 PM
Marv Wagner

Default Poor photo print quality using 58 photo cartridge on HP6110 All-in-one

I recently purchased a HP 6110 All-in-one. It uses the new HP 6 ink
printing system. You can use the 57 tri-color with a 56 black cartridge,
or, to quote the manual on page 43 "You may want to use an HP photo print
cartridge (#58) for superior print quality when printing photos. With the
color and photo print cartridges installed, you have a six-ink system."

I am NOT seeing a "superior print quality". In fact, the photos printing
with the photo cartridges instead of the black actually look WORSE. The
photo cartridge photos are fuzzy, and almost have a vertical "ghost". I've
tried re-aligning the cartridges after swapping in the 58 photo cartridge.
I've tried copying and printing. And, I've tried using high quality photo
paper. I'm pretty disappointed and frustrated. I haven't braved the HP
help line yet, but I have checked for new drivers and FW on the HP website.
Nothing new for FW or drivers.

I'm wondering if these print cartridges work better in any of the many
printers HP sells these with. Does anyone have experience with these
cartridges in a HP 6110 or any other all-in-one or printer?

Old July 30th 03, 03:49 PM
Marv Wagner

If I do have a problem, it MUST be a bad 58 cartridge. I had to have the
6110 replaced after 6 weeks due to a "carriage jam" issue that wouldn't go
away. Both the first and second 6110 acted the same. I will call the 800
number. Maybe they can just replace the defective cartridge and the problem
will go away (fingers crossed).

Marv

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message

[...]

I have used the 58 cartridge in an officejet 6110. It sounds like you

have a
problem, as what you describe is certainly not normal. You should call HP

for
service. In the US you can call toll free 1-800-HP INVENT

(800-474-6836).

Regards,

Old July 30th 03, 10:27 PM
Marv Wagner

Well, I'm now getting great quality using the 58 photo cartridge. The help
line had me do a "clean printheads" operation, but I think the real
difference was that I had to replace the tri-color cartridge. There is
still something bizarre going on here that I don't understand, but it's not
broken for now!

Marv

Old August 12th 03, 02:27 AM
timeequate

The first 6110 I bought a few weeks ago (via Sam's Club) made the infamous
inkjet printer jammed works "bang" and stripping gears sound right out of
the box. After it did all of that, I couldn't get a paper jam error code to
clear. Exchanged it a few hours later with the second unit working perfect.

Gotta admit that Sam's Club takes very good care of its members with returns
and exchanges.