cheap CD production moving to China?

Old February 17th 04, 04:15 AM
Brendan R. Wehrung

Default cheap CD production moving to China?

The latest OfficeMax free after rebate promo offers Kypermedia blanks (in
the usual cake box, and a differently-branded stick that was just
shrink-wrapped) "Made in China". The Kypermedia tests of as the usual CMC
Magnetics, but it's interesting that they are no longer "Made in Taiwan".

I realize Kypermedia is considered bottom-level quality but will do for
some uses, and the bottom level of Tainwanese product seems to have
leveled out somewhere lately as "not so bad anymore"--but now that
production has moved to the mainland, do we have to go through another
cycle of "beware! lots of junk out there"?

Lots of quality stuff is made in China, including most TVs, many cameras
and the shirt you just bought, but that's because anybody who wants to
maintain their good name insists on good quality. With blank CDs its
"whomever is offereing them cheapest this week".

Brendan

Old February 18th 04, 02:35 PM

On 17 Feb 2004 04:15:44 GMT, (Brendan R.
Wehrung) wrote:

The latest OfficeMax free after rebate promo offers Kypermedia blanks (in
the usual cake box, and a differently-branded stick that was just
shrink-wrapped) "Made in China". The Kypermedia tests of as the usual CMC
Magnetics, but it's interesting that they are no longer "Made in Taiwan".

I realize Kypermedia is considered bottom-level quality but will do for
some uses, and the bottom level of Tainwanese product seems to have
leveled out somewhere lately as "not so bad anymore"--but now that
production has moved to the mainland, do we have to go through another
cycle of "beware! lots of junk out there"?

Lots of quality stuff is made in China, including most TVs, many cameras
and the shirt you just bought, but that's because anybody who wants to
maintain their good name insists on good quality. With blank CDs its
"whomever is offereing them cheapest this week".

Well Ive been seeing some pretty iffy stuff from Omax like the 200 CDR
boxes and some other CDs as well as some iffy vinyl topped COMPUSA DVD
disks - not the silver topped stuff for a while now.

One thing , Ive got to test them on my Liteons but that Ridata stuff
that everyone keeps saying is better than the usual Khyper stuff, well
as long as I get the silver topped Khyper disks they work at least on
the casual level (no real tests for Q just seeing if it burns without
obvious problems like artifacts in SVCDS and failure to burn) it works
fine on my Liteons and noname BenQ I got from Omax.

The Ridata which I got several weeks ago - wow. At least my BenQ does
not seem to like those disks. There are constant failures to burn and
lockups in Direct CD which I dont get at all with Fujis and even other
generics. Others say its good so I assume its going to be better in my
Liteon.