Someone has a "new" Corner Computer

Old November 29th 10, 12:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default Someone has a "new" Corner Computer

Yesterday, someone successfully outbid me ( and others ) ($88.77) for a
Packard Bell Corner Computer on eBay. Congratulations.

Although I was really hoping for my fourth machine, it's good to see it
probably went to a worthy person.
( At least they had to pay for it. :-) )

I hope they participate on this forum......... ?

I need five to create a black hole ... the Fifth Element .

bobwatts
EartH

Old November 30th 10, 04:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 11/29/2010 7:28 AM, Robert E. Watts wrote:
Yesterday, someone successfully outbid me ( and others ) ($88.77) for a
Packard Bell Corner Computer on eBay. Congratulations.

Although I was really hoping for my fourth machine, it's good to see it
probably went to a worthy person.
( At least they had to pay for it. :-) )

I hope they participate on this forum......... ?

I need five to create a black hole ... the Fifth Element .

bobwatts
EartH

Are you saying that PB went to its demise down a black hole? Maybe they
went into a worm hole instead and ended up in an alternate universe...
Ben Myers
Old November 30th 10, 11:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Tom Lake

Are you saying that PB went to its demise down a black hole? Maybe they
went into a worm hole instead and ended up in an alternate universe...

Demise? What demise? PB is in its third incarnation now and doing well
in Europe. You probably don't remember the first Packard Bell. They made
radios and minicomputers (yes!) The second PB made microcomputers and
is the one that most people here in the USA came to know and hate.

Brochure for one of the first PB computers:

http://www.dvq.com/ads/pb_250_dm_11_61.jpg

Tom Lake
Old November 30th 10, 12:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben ( and Tom )

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
On 11/29/2010 7:28 AM, Robert E. Watts wrote:

Are you saying that PB went to its demise down a black hole? Maybe they
went into a worm hole instead and ended up in an alternate universe... Ben
Myers

Nope, it's just a hobby I have.
Creating chaos, carnage, confusion, and other things that start with "C".
( I do "D" next week )

Much like the movie "The Fifth Element", I figure that if I can get five of
these things together in one spot, I can get a lot more done. At least
before the weekend chores anyway.

Not to worry, anyone with a Packard Bell in the basement is protected. I
think.....

bobwatts
EartH

Old December 1st 10, 10:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 11/30/2010 6:11 AM, Tom Lake wrote:

Are you saying that PB went to its demise down a black hole? Maybe they
went into a worm hole instead and ended up in an alternate universe...
Demise? What demise? PB is in its third incarnation now and doing well
in Europe. You probably don't remember the first Packard Bell. They made
radios and minicomputers (yes!) The second PB made microcomputers and is
the one that most people here in the USA came to know and hate.

Brochure for one of the first PB computers:

http://www.dvq.com/ads/pb_250_dm_11_61.jpg

Tom Lake

IIRC, the PB now doing business in Europe has nothing in common with the
2nd US-based PB except the name. Same as the 2nd PB is like the
original in name only. Names can be bought and sold like any other
tangible or intangible goods.

The irony about PB #2 is that some of the computers had high-quality
components inside. The motherboards inside PB systems made by Intel
were very good. LPX form factor, yes. But good.

For the most part, what cemented PB's reputation for selling junk was
its reliance on the worst possible power supplies designed to run
exactly what shipped with a computer and no more. A number of years
ago, I attempted a memory upgrade of a PB system. I installed memory
that met the specs, the computer would run for a half hour and then shut
down with a VERY hot power supply. Why? The wattage drawn by the
additional memory was just enough to push the power supply wattage above
the design limits.

In recent years, eMachines followed the same approach of cheapo Bestec
power supplies and acquired a similarly tarnished reputation until
acquired by Gateway, in turn bought up by Acer. Not sure what goes
inside an eMachines (Acer-eGateMachines?) these days, but I won't
recommend buying one, except to my worst enemies.

To make life even more interesting, HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario
consumer-oriented desktops use power supplies by the same lamentable
Bestec. Yep! Power supply failures that take out the motherboards,
just like eMachines. HPaq BUSINESS desktops often have high grade power
supplies from Delta and other reputable suppliers.

Bottom line here is that consumers often get screwed by computer
manufacturers, but businesses do not. After all, if I order 1000
computers and they don't work, 1000 of them will be on the loading dock
tomorrow to be returned to the mfr. But so what if a consumer's
computer fails? ... Ben Myers