Pentium vs. Itanium

Old July 15th 06, 03:20 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

Default Pentium vs. Itanium

Hi all,

I have noticed that there is little/no posting on
Itanium and this is an Intel group. Now I
know that some/most of you probably think
the Itanium is dead/dying but I would still like
to know what is going on in the Itanium field.
If there is a more appropriate group to which
I should post, please let me know.

thanks,
charles.....

Old July 15th 06, 05:25 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan

***** charles wrote:
Hi all,

I have noticed that there is little/no posting on
Itanium and this is an Intel group. Now I
know that some/most of you probably think
the Itanium is dead/dying but I would still like
to know what is going on in the Itanium field.
If there is a more appropriate group to which
I should post, please let me know.

No, this is the most appropriate group for Itanium I would say, but
hardly anyone cares about it. There have been some recent developments
about Itanium:

Dual-core Itanium finally ready - ZDNet UK News
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39278436,00.htm

It's been largely killed by the Opteron. Not directly, by competing
against it directly, but by taking over pretty much all of the
ecosystems that Itanium was originally aimed at. It's sort of like weeds
killing other plant life by grabbing large tracts of land in which those
other plants could've lived in too.

Yousuf Khan

--
There is no failure, only delayed success
Old July 15th 06, 11:32 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Benjamin Gawert

* ***** charles:

I have noticed that there is little/no posting on Itanium and this is
an Intel group.

Right, but since there currently is very little going on with Itanium
there is no reason to talk about it...

Now I know that some/most of you probably think the Itanium is
dead/dying

It is dead, even HP (the biggest Itanium vendor) knows this....

but I would still like to know what is going on in the Itanium field.
If there is a more appropriate group to which I should post, please
let me know.

Well, Itanium is an intel cpu but as I said there is not much going on.
You will probably find more stuff in manufacturer-specific newsgroups
(i.e. comp.sys.hp.hpux) or manufacturer support forums (itrc.hp.com)...

Benjamin
Old July 16th 06, 03:24 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
daytripper

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:20:48 GMT, "***** charles"
wrote:

Hi all,

I have noticed that there is little/no posting on
Itanium and this is an Intel group. Now I
know that some/most of you probably think
the Itanium is dead/dying but I would still like
to know what is going on in the Itanium field.
If there is a more appropriate group to which
I should post, please let me know.

thanks,
charles.....

comp.sys.intel.itanium.itsdeadjim
Old July 17th 06, 04:18 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
General Schvantzkoph

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:20:48 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

Hi all,

I have noticed that there is little/no posting on
Itanium and this is an Intel group. Now I
know that some/most of you probably think
the Itanium is dead/dying but I would still like
to know what is going on in the Itanium field.
If there is a more appropriate group to which
I should post, please let me know.

thanks,
charles.....

It's the Terry Schiavo of CPUs. Intel doesn't seem to have the heart to
pull the plug on it but it's been brain dead for a long time. HP has 90%
of the Itanium market, which amounts to a few hundred boxes a quarter.
Old July 17th 06, 08:06 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Rick Jones

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
It is dead, even HP (the biggest Itanium vendor) knows this....

We do?

rick jones
Old July 17th 06, 08:22 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

In article ,
says...
Benjamin Gawert wrote:
It is dead, even HP (the biggest Itanium vendor) knows this....

We do?

rick jones

Didn't you get the memo? :-)
- Ken
Old July 18th 06, 03:00 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan

***** charles wrote:
It is too bad about the Itanium. It has "some" good engineering
in it and it was supposed to last for the "next 20 years". If only
Intel could fiture out how to make them CHEAP. The biggest
problem is price that is why AMD64 and EM64T are both
blowing it out of the water.

Not really, Intel had the ability to sell it for very cheap, if it
wanted to. Initially, it could've subsidized the price of the Itaniums,
and then eventually it could've gotten the price down by simply
migrating it to its latest miniaturization process node. However,
neither option would've proved to be fruitful, as a cheap processor that
nobody wants will only sell slightly better than an expensive processor
that nobody wants.

It's major problem was, and is, and will always be it's lack of software
compatibility. If Itanium had the ability to efficiently run 32-bit x86
software like the Opteron did, then it would've been only a matter of
biding time until 64-bit applications start coming in. Opteron simply
ran existing 32-bit apps happily, while people slowly (and sometimes
speedily) ported those apps to 64-bit.

Yousuf Khan