Seagate 300 gig IDE drive seen as unformatted

Old March 21st 10, 03:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Daniel Prince

Default Seagate 300 gig IDE drive seen as unformatted

I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
Old March 21st 10, 04:10 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
za kAT

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:51:10 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Pooh sayz you are in the deep poo.

Yank talk = you're ****ed.
--
- www.zakATsKopterChat.com
Old March 21st 10, 04:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Arno[_3_]

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Daniel Prince wrote:
I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

First, make a sector image to a different drive. Then work on that.
The risk of doing more damage when working on the only copy is
high.

Side note: Data you have only one copy of, you could as well have
no copy of.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----
Old March 21st 10, 04:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
David H. Lipman

From: "Daniel Prince"

| I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
| as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
| unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
| sector 92 is unreadable.

| I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
| suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
| through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
| I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Did you run SeaGate SeaTools on it ?

--
Dave

Old March 21st 10, 04:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Dave Doe

In article , neutrino1
@ca.rr.com says...

I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Ideally, run the testdisk program from the location you want to save
your files (ie a removable drive, or another disk drive) - as that's
where it'll save everything.

From the sounds of it, TestDisk will get all your data back, perhaps
less a file or two from the damaged area.

--
Duncan.
Old March 21st 10, 05:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Rod Speed

Daniel Prince wrote

I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have
been using as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now
says that the drive is unformatted. When I run the Seagate
DiscWizard program it says that sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up.
I suspect that most of the data is still there but just not
accessible through Windows. Is there a good freeware
or shareware program that I can use to access my data?

You dont say how it was formatted. If it was formatted
NTFS, you can find that a Linux live CD can see the data
on the drive when Win claims that its unformatted.

If that doesnt work, I like Easy Recovery Pro
myself, but it isnt free unless you steal it.

Old March 21st 10, 07:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Maurice Helwig

Daniel Prince wrote:
I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Use a Live Linux CD to boot up the Computer and see if you can see the
drive. If you can then you should be able to copy the files to a DVD
using the burner on the live linux CD.

I have done this once for a friend in desparate need of her Tax data,
and was surprised just how easy it was to do.

I used Knopix version 3.6 which I still cary around in my software toolkit.

MAKE BACKUPS IF ALL YOUR DATA - even the data on your Memory stick.

I lost data (a lot of notes) when my Corsair Memory stick failed. I got
a new one under its 3 year warranty but that did not replace the notes I
lost.

Maurice helwig
Old March 21st 10, 10:19 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps)

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Is it still accessible? Back up IMMEDIATELY!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.33.1
Old March 21st 10, 11:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
Daniel Prince

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote

I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have
been using as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now
says that the drive is unformatted. When I run the Seagate
DiscWizard program it says that sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up.
I suspect that most of the data is still there but just not
accessible through Windows. Is there a good freeware
or shareware program that I can use to access my data?

You dont say how it was formatted. If it was formatted
NTFS, you can find that a Linux live CD can see the data
on the drive when Win claims that its unformatted.

It was formatted NTFS. Which version of Linux live CD do you
recommend?

If that doesnt work, I like Easy Recovery Pro
myself, but it isnt free unless you steal it.

--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Old March 21st 10, 12:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.freeware
David H. Lipman

From: "Daniel Prince"

| "Rod Speed" wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote

I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have
been using as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now
says that the drive is unformatted. When I run the Seagate
DiscWizard program it says that sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up.
I suspect that most of the data is still there but just not
accessible through Windows. Is there a good freeware
or shareware program that I can use to access my data?

You dont say how it was formatted. If it was formatted
NTFS, you can find that a Linux live CD can see the data
on the drive when Win claims that its unformatted.

| It was formatted NTFS. Which version of Linux live CD do you
| recommend?

Did you run SeaGate SeaTools like I asked ?

--
Dave