Athlon64 3000 -- Thermal pad or thermal compound?

Old October 8th 04, 05:03 AM
Leon

Default Athlon64 3000 -- Thermal pad or thermal compound?

Hi, I'm new to building systems, and am thinking about eventually
overclocking this thing I'm putting together right now.. but I need a
hint from those who know.

I'm finding conflicting information about whether one is better off
using thermal compound or thermal pad with an Athlon64 3000. I have a
ThermalTake TR2-M6 heatsink that I was planning to use with it, and it
has a thermal pad already on. The other alternative is some Arctic
Silver 5, 3.5 grams of which I also have.

Some people seem to be staunch with the whole "compound is only for
testing CPUs, thermal pad is the permanent way to go" thing, yet
others say that you can't go wrong with AS 5. Let's not talk
overclocking for now, but just in general--should I mount the heatsink
and just go, or should I scrape off the thermal pad and apply AS 5 to
the CPU?

Suggestions appreciated!
Old October 16th 04, 10:38 PM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:49:56 GMT, Ykalon wrote:

wrote:

On 7 Oct 2004 21:03:30 -0700, (Leon) wrote:

[...]

AS and all of the other [ grease types ] are overpriced hype. There
are as many different opinions on this as there are fleas on a dogs
back.

My rule . . . if your not an overclocker, and are not going to be
changing heatsinks regularly, use the supplied TIM.

BoroLad

Be careful when you do want to change heatsink though. When I changed it
on my Athlon64 2800+ it ripped the CPU out of its socket:-) No broken
pins luckily... I will NEVER use Thermal pads again that's for sure.

Fair comment ykalon, I was stating that AS / and all the others are
crap but pointed out to those who don't change H/S often that pads are
as good or better [ long term ] than expensive grease.

BoroLad
Old October 17th 04, 03:24 AM
Leon

Be careful when you do want to change heatsink though. When I changed it
on my Athlon64 2800+ it ripped the CPU out of its socket:-) No broken
pins luckily... I will NEVER use Thermal pads again that's for sure.

Fair comment ykalon, I was stating that AS / and all the others are
crap but pointed out to those who don't change H/S often that pads are
as good or better [ long term ] than expensive grease.

BoroLad

Figured I'd post a follow-up. I asked around and decided to use AS5
purely because more people voiced support of that vs. thermal pad (not
because I think I know what works better, I truly don't!), and CPU
temperature is steady between 26-29C. I figure it's not too shabby in
comparison with other temperatures people report.

People say AS is too expensive, but I'm not sure if it really can be
called that. I paid $7.50 for a 3.5g tube, but with the amount
required for an application, I should be able to handle around 15-20
small die chips or 12-15 heat spreader ones. So is it really so bad?

A new heatsink compound (thermal grease) RMC Overclocking 2 September 27th 04 07:19 PM
Why so very small amount of thermal compound? Navid Overclocking 14 June 22nd 04 10:06 PM
Thermal paste application Howard Homebuilt PC's 40 November 6th 03 12:31 PM
pads or grease? AJ Homebuilt PC's 28 September 5th 03 01:29 AM
Intel thermal pad or Arctic Silver? kony General 3 July 4th 03 12:35 AM