OT Front firewire & audio ports

Old January 16th 05, 01:22 PM
Bruin

Default OT Front firewire & audio ports

Off topic I know, but this is an active group & I got good odds at getting
some good suggestions in this group.

So I built this machine for a friend. He wanted an Asus MB & a P4-3.2 blah
blah blah.....
He selected a nice looking but cheap case with front USB, Audio, & Firewire.
I told him that the
MB he wanted did not have Firewire on-board & he would need an add on card
which we purchased.

So I go to connect it all, the Firewire cables from the case do not have an
standard connector, only the wires that go to Firewire headers on MBs that
have them. No headers like that on the adapter card. I am unable to
locate an adapter to be able to use these loose wires with plastic
connectors on the ends & plug into a standard Firewire port. This can't be
the 1st time this ever happened to someone. Any suggestions?

The audio..... I can connect it up fine & it works, but then the back
ports do not. My friend wants to be able to use his fancy speakers & then
use the front ports for his fancy headset when it gets late. I called
Asus on this one & they told me that the case hookups do not support this
function with this MB as it requires a "loop-back" system to the case (from
the MB audio headers) to the front audio & BACK again to the "b" audio
headers on the MB. Anyone ever see a case that has that?

Thanks in advance!

regards
Joe S.

Old January 16th 05, 04:24 PM
dmac

does the case manufacturer have any firewire adapters? my monarch case had
documentation (lost now) stating that if MB didn't have firewire hookups
they had a link to adapter. does the card/case documentation tell what pin
is what, maybe then just "rig" it to work?
another way to gain firewire is a capture card like my pinnacle av/dv 9 pci
card. has built in firewire but it is in back.
I'm having same audio problem, if you find answer would you let me know?
I had to disable onboard ac97 audio due to conflicts with pinnacle capture
card and had to switch to a pci card. card doesn't have same connectors as
front panel hookups.
thanks

Old January 16th 05, 04:30 PM
dmac

server errored, post send twice w/o my knowing it.
sorry

"Bruin" wrote in message

[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old January 17th 05, 03:29 AM
Noozer

MB he wanted did not have Firewire on-board & he would need an add on card
which we purchased.

Return the card and get one with an internal connector.

The audio..... I can connect it up fine & it works, but then the back
ports do not.

You should be able to hook it up so both the front and rear work, but
plugging into the front won't shut down the back. Just plug a switchbox into
the back jacks and then let him switch between speakers and headset.

Old January 18th 05, 10:43 PM
Bruin

"Noozer" wrote in message
MB he wanted did not have Firewire on-board & he would need an add on
card
which we purchased.

Return the card and get one with an internal connector.

The audio..... I can connect it up fine & it works, but then the back
ports do not.

You should be able to hook it up so both the front and rear work, but
plugging into the front won't shut down the back. Just plug a switchbox
into
the back jacks and then let him switch between speakers and headset.

I ordered a Firewire card that appears to have a internal headers (4 pin) &
an internal female port. Problem is the case has 6 wires with plastic
connectors for the 6 pin MB headers for each of the 2 front Firewire ports.
With the order I included a special cable, one that I can only find at one
vendor, that is specifically for adapting the case wires to a Firewire card.
That will connect one of the 2 front ports, unsure how to connect the 2nd
port, 6 pin to a 4 pin header.... Other than buy another $12.00 cable. Any
ideas?

Old January 18th 05, 11:08 PM
Noozer

&
an internal female port. Problem is the case has 6 wires with plastic
connectors for the 6 pin MB headers for each of the 2 front Firewire

ports.
With the order I included a special cable, one that I can only find at one
vendor, that is specifically for adapting the case wires to a Firewire

card.
That will connect one of the 2 front ports, unsure how to connect the 2nd
port, 6 pin to a 4 pin header.... Other than buy another $12.00 cable.

Any
ideas?

Extra two pins will be for power... Not sure if they'll be 5v or 12v but you
may be able to get away with using USB power pins. Definately something
that will need a bit more research.