Asus SATA Dongle on a A7N8X Deluxe

Old July 1st 03, 01:33 AM
JKay

Default Asus SATA Dongle on a A7N8X Deluxe

I purchased two Asus SATA Dongles for use on a Asus A7N8X even though Asus
specifically states the dongle are for the P4PE, A7V8X, P4SDX and P4S8X
motherboards using the Promise SATA Controller Chip.

One of the dongles worked on the A7N8X and the other seem to be DOA, and was
returned.

Using an older IBM 120GXP 60Gig drive I ran SiSoft 2003 on the single drive
while still connected to the primary IDE port on the A7N8X and received a
score of 25,412. Same drive as a single on the SATA port produced a score
of 23,177

I had originally intended to screw around and do a raid 0 on a pair of old
IBM 120 GXP's, but I think I will wait for the hard drive companies to
produce real SATA drives.

Old July 1st 03, 12:20 PM
Nom

"JKay" wrote in message
Using an older IBM 120GXP 60Gig drive I ran SiSoft 2003 on the single

drive
while still connected to the primary IDE port on the A7N8X and received a
score of 25,412. Same drive as a single on the SATA port produced a score
of 23,177

So ? SATA's advantages are not performance-related.

I had originally intended to screw around and do a raid 0 on a pair of old
IBM 120 GXP's, but I think I will wait for the hard drive companies to
produce real SATA drives.

Why ? SATA is better than IDE in every single possible way.

Old July 1st 03, 03:30 PM
Kenneth A Kauffman

"JKay" wrote in message
I purchased two Asus SATA Dongles for use on a Asus A7N8X even though Asus
specifically states the dongle are for the P4PE, A7V8X, P4SDX and P4S8X
motherboards using the Promise SATA Controller Chip.

One of the dongles worked on the A7N8X and the other seem to be DOA, and

was
returned.

Using an older IBM 120GXP 60Gig drive I ran SiSoft 2003 on the single

drive
while still connected to the primary IDE port on the A7N8X and received a
score of 25,412. Same drive as a single on the SATA port produced a score
of 23,177

I had originally intended to screw around and do a raid 0 on a pair of old
IBM 120 GXP's, but I think I will wait for the hard drive companies to
produce real SATA drives.

This makes sense. The converter is not "native" SATA, so there should be a
performance hit for the conversion. Companies already do have SATA drives
out. Seagate, WD and Maxtor.

ken k

Old July 1st 03, 07:50 PM
JKay

This makes sense. The converter is not "native" SATA, so there should be
performance hit for the conversion. Companies already do have SATA drives
out. Seagate, WD and Maxtor.
ken k

Your right the lack of performance with the dongle conversion unit is
reasonable.
However, the alleged real SATA (UDMA 150) drives do not perform as well as
say a PATA Western Digital 250 Gig UDMA 100 drive.

I say alleged SATA, because it appears these early SATA drives are just
hacked PATA drive, and thus a corresponding performance hit.

Old July 1st 03, 07:53 PM
JKay

So ? SATA's advantages are not performance-related.

I had originally intended to screw around and do a raid 0 on a pair of

old
IBM 120 GXP's, but I think I will wait for the hard drive companies to
produce real SATA drives.

Why ? SATA is better than IDE in every single possible way.

So name a few. Certainly performance at this point in time is not one of
them
if you are not using some type of raid configuration.

Old July 2nd 03, 06:35 PM
JKay

Seconded.
JKay, you need a better DRIVE for better performance. Forget about the
interface used - IDE/SATA/SCSI is not relevent.

Well, you just talked me into it. I order a Raptor. Should be here
tomorrow afternoon. Going to try it as a single for now.

Old July 2nd 03, 08:36 PM
Ben Pope

JKay wrote:
Seconded.
JKay, you need a better DRIVE for better performance. Forget about
the interface used - IDE/SATA/SCSI is not relevent.

Well, you just talked me into it. I order a Raptor. Should be here
tomorrow afternoon. Going to try it as a single for now.

:-)

Let us know what you think of it.

Ben

Old July 3rd 03, 12:50 AM
Dave Sheehy

Nom ) wrote:
: "JKay" wrote in message
: ...
: So name a few.

: Command Queuing.
: Tagged Command Support.

These are not unique to SATA. They are described in the latest ATA spec
and therefore apply to all ATA type drives irrespective of interconnect
technology.

: Greater bus speed.

Don't know exactly what you mean here (i.e. SATA isn't a bus) but ultimately
whatever the interconnect they both terminate at either PCI or somewhere
inside the Northbridge and are bottlenecked there.

Dave

Old July 3rd 03, 05:14 PM
JKay

FYI. looks like the raptor isn't as good as it should be. it does run
cooler though.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1175844,00.asp

ken k

Ken K:

I agree none of the SATA drives are very exciting at this point.
The www.storagereview.com did a preview of this drive using
the Promise and the Silicon Image SATA controllers.
They gave the drive a buy recommendation, using the Promise
controller. Unfortunately, the Asus A7N8X Deluxe m/b uses
the Silicon Image controller chip.

This is going in a game machine and really is just an excuse to
pry the lid off and play down in the engine room.