Drive Image 2002

Old November 17th 03, 08:13 PM
Rosie

Default Drive Image 2002

I went to make an image just now and as soon as I clicked to start the
program I got an Error 1 init failed. 'This operation is not supported.
This may be because this operation does not currently work with the
current file system or partition type'. Has anyone seen this before?
There is nothing about error 1 in the PDF docs.
Thanks.
--
gillie
Old November 17th 03, 10:42 PM
Rosie

In message , Rosie
writes
I went to make an image just now and as soon as I clicked to start the
program I got an Error 1 init failed. 'This operation is not supported.
This may be because this operation does not currently work with the
current file system or partition type'. Has anyone seen this before?
There is nothing about error 1 in the PDF docs.
Thanks.

I should have added I'm running XPHome+SP1. I did about 3 Checkdisk
tests on all drives which did find some errors. I was then able to start
Drive Image and do an image of C: & D. However, when I tried to start DI
again to check the image would restore I got the above message again.
Does anyone know what is going on here? I feel very vulnerable not being
able to keep an image in case of disaster!
Thanks.
--
gillie
Old November 17th 03, 10:48 PM
Lil' Dave

http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id3746.cfm

Solution: Error 1 This operation is not supported. This may be because this
operation does not currently work with the current file system or partition
type

Cause 1: This error can be caused by IBM's SMART Defender software.

Fix 1: If you have IBM's SMART Defender installed on your hard drive,
disable it before running Drive Image.

Cause 2: This error can be caused by removable media, such as Iomega Jaz/Zip
drives, printers with memory cards, digital camera cards, or camcorders.

Fix 2: Disconnect the removable media device while running Drive Image. In
the case of Jaz or Zip drives, you may also need to enter your BIOS Setup
program during bootup and set these devices to "None" in the IDE detection
area.

Cause 3: This error can be caused by antivirus software.

Fix 3: Before running Drive Image, disable any antivirus programs running on
the machine, both in Windows and (if applicable) in the BIOS.

Cause 4: This error is reported if you run Drive Image in Windows and have a
partition on your hard disk that Drive Image is unable to recognize, such as
BSDI's 9F partition type.

Fix 4: Run Drive Image from the rescue diskettes. This only lets you get
past Error 1 so you can run Drive Image and create images of supported
partition types. It does not allow you to create images of unsupported or
unrecognizable partition types.

Cause 5: This error can be caused if the file PQVX.VXD from PartitionMagic
4.0 (or earlier) is present on your machine. This file is stored in the
\Windows\System folder.

Fix 5: Uninstall version 4.0 or earlier of PartitionMagic, uninstall your
current version of Drive Image, and then reinstall your current version of
Drive Image. If you need to use PartitionMagic, run it from the
PartitionMagic rescue diskettes.

Problem Description:
Error 1This operation is not supported. This may be because this operation
does not currently work with the current file system or partition type
Int failed
Error 1

Problem Environment
Drive Image 2002

Twas not difficult to find...
Dave

Old November 18th 03, 10:27 AM
Rosie

In message , Rosie
writes
In message 5nbub.26502$HD3.14132@lakeread06, Lil' Dave
writes
[...]

Hi Dave. I checked Powerquest but it was down at that time but I've
since been there and seen the above. The only possibility on the list
is that I disconnected my zip drive as I thought I may have had psu
problems. I'm just about to re-connect the drive and see what happens.
Thanks for the input, I'll let you know if that worked, although I
don't understand how it did work after the chkdsk stuff and then failed
again.

No good. It makes no difference whether I have the zip drive connected
or disconnected, I still get 'error 1' and Drive Image 2002 won't start.
None of the other reasons listed seem to have any bearing on this
problem. so I'm at a loss at the moment as to what to do.
I've done some more chkdsk tests but no more errors were detected. I've
also removed/installed Drive Image.
Any ideas please?

--
gillie
Old November 18th 03, 02:11 PM
Joep

"Rosie" wrote in message
No good. It makes no difference whether I have the zip drive connected
or disconnected, I still get 'error 1' and Drive Image 2002 won't start.
None of the other reasons listed seem to have any bearing on this
problem. so I'm at a loss at the moment as to what to do.
I've done some more chkdsk tests but no more errors were detected. I've
also removed/installed Drive Image.
Any ideas please?

--
gillie

Make a (DOS) partinfo and post it here. Refer to manual for instructions on
creating a partinfo.

--
Joep

Old November 18th 03, 09:50 PM
Rosie

In message , Joep
writes
"Rosie" wrote in message
No good. It makes no difference whether I have the zip drive connected
or disconnected, I still get 'error 1' and Drive Image 2002 won't start.
None of the other reasons listed seem to have any bearing on this
problem. so I'm at a loss at the moment as to what to do.
I've done some more chkdsk tests but no more errors were detected. I've
also removed/installed Drive Image.
Any ideas please?

--
gillie

Make a (DOS) partinfo and post it here. Refer to manual for instructions on
creating a partinfo.

--
Joep

Hi Joep, here is the partinfo you asked for. Thanks for your help!
I have also run AVG anti-virus(with latest updates).

PowerQuest PartitionInfo 7.0 -- Windows NT/2000 Version
Date Generated: 11/18/03 20:41:17
Copyright (c)1994-2001, PowerQuest Corporation
Permission is granted for this utility to be freely copied so long
as it is not modified in any way. All other rights are reserved.

PowerQuest, makers of PartitionMagic(r), Drive Image(tm), and
DriveCopy(tm), can be reached at:
Voice: 801-437-8900
Fax: 801-226-8941
Web site: http://support.powerquest.com/support.html
E-mail:

General System Information:
Total Physical Memory (bytes): 536,330,240
Used Physical Memory: (bytes): 86,114,304
Maximum Page File Size: (bytes): 1,311,191,040
Current Page File Size: (bytes): 37,941,248

==================================
Disk Geometry Information for Disk 1: 7476 Cylinders, 255 Heads, 63
Sectors/Track
System PartSect # Boot BCyl Head Sect FS ECyl Head
Sect StartSect NumSects
==================================
0 0 80 0 1 1 07 764 254
63 63 12,289,662
0 1 00 765 0 1 0F 1023 254
63 12,289,725 107,812,215
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values a
0 1 00 765 0 1 0F 7475 254 63 12289725
107812215
12,289,725 0 00 765 1 1 07 1023 254
63 12,289,788 12,289,662
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values a
12289725 0 00 765 1 1 07 1529 254 63 12289788
12289662
12,289,725 1 00 1023 0 1 05 1023 254
63 24,579,450 95,522,490
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values a
12289725 1 00 1530 0 1 05 7475 254 63 24579450
95522490
24,579,450 0 00 1023 1 1 07 1023 254
63 24,579,513 95,522,427
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values a
24579450 0 00 1530 1 1 07 7475 254 63 24579513
95522427

==================================
Disk Geometry Information for Disk 2: 9964 Cylinders, 255 Heads, 63
Sectors/Track
System PartSect # Boot BCyl Head Sect FS ECyl Head
Sect StartSect NumSects
==================================
0 0 00 0 1 1 07 193 254
63 63 3,116,547
0 1 00 194 0 1 0F 1023 254
63 3,116,610 156,955,050
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values a
0 1 00 194 0 1 0F 9963 254 63 3116610
156955050
3,116,610 0 00 194 1 1 07 1023 254
63 3,116,673 18,426,492
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values a
3116610 0 00 194 1 1 07 1340 254 63 3116673
18426492
3,116,610 1 00 1023 0 1 05 1023 254
63 21,543,165 138,528,495
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values a
3116610 1 00 1341 0 1 05 9963 254 63 21543165
138528495
21,543,165 0 00 1023 1 1 07 1023 254
63 21,543,228 138,528,432
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values a
21543165 0 00 1341 1 1 07 9963 254 63 21543228
138528432

==================================
Disk Geometry Information for Disk 3: 2498 Cylinders, 255 Heads, 63
Sectors/Track
System PartSect # Boot BCyl Head Sect FS ECyl Head
Sect StartSect NumSects
==================================
0 0 80 0 1 1 07 1023 254
63 63 40,130,307
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Actual values a
0 0 80 0 1 1 07 2497 254 63 63
40130307

==================================
Partition Information for Disk 1: 58,643.5 Megabytes
Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect
TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
==================================
C: NTFS Pri,Boot 6,000.8 0 0 63
12,289,662 12,289,662 0
ExtendedX Pri 52,642.7 0 1 12,289,725
107,812,215 107,812,215 0
EPBR Log 6,000.8 None -- 12,289,725
12,289,725 12,289,725 0
D: NTFS Log 6,000.8 12,289,725 0 12,289,788
12,289,662 12,289,662 0
EPBR Log 46,641.8 12,289,725 1 24,579,450
95,522,490 95,522,490 0
E: NTFS Log 46,641.8 24,579,450 0 24,579,513
95,522,427 95,522,427 0

==================================
Partition Information for Disk 2: 78,159.10 Megabytes
Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect
TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
==================================
F: NTFS Pri 1,521.8 0 0 63
3,116,547 3,116,547 0
ExtendedX Pri 76,638.2 0 1 3,116,610
156,955,050 156,955,050 0
EPBR Log 8,997.3 None -- 3,116,610
18,426,555 18,426,555 0
G: NTFS Log 8,997.3 3,116,610 0 3,116,673
18,426,492 18,426,492 0
EPBR Log 67,640.9 3,116,610 1 21,543,165
138,528,495 138,528,495 0
H: NTFS Log 67,640.8 21,543,165 0 21,543,228
138,528,432 138,528,432 0

==================================
Partition Information for Disk 3: 19,594.9 Megabytes
Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect
TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
==================================
I: NTFS Pri,Boot 19,594.9 0 0 63
40,130,307 40,130,307 0

==================================
Boot Record for drive C: (Drive: 1, Starting sector: 63, Type: NTFS)
==================================
1. Jump: EB 52 90
2. OEM Name: NTFS
3. Bytes per Sector: 512
4. Sectors per Cluster: 4
5. Reserved Sectors: 0
6. Number of FATs: 0
7. Root Dir Entries: 0
8. Total Sectors: 0
9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
10. Sectors per FAT: 0
11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
14. Total Sectors (32MB): 0 (0x0)
15. Unused: 0x80008000
16. Total NTFS Sectors: 12289661
17. MFT Start Cluster: 341376
18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 512063
19. Clusters per FRS: 246
20. Clusters per Index Blk: 2
21. Serial Number: 0xFA0CD00A0CCFBFBD
22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
23. Boot Signatu 0xAA55

==================================
Boot Record for drive D: (Drive: 1, Starting sector: 12,289,788, Type:
NTFS)
==================================
1. Jump: EB 52 90
2. OEM Name: NTFS
3. Bytes per Sector: 512
4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
5. Reserved Sectors: 0
6. Number of FATs: 0
7. Root Dir Entries: 0
8. Total Sectors: 0
9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
10. Sectors per FAT: 0
11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
14. Total Sectors (32MB): 0 (0x0)
15. Unused: 0x80008000
16. Total NTFS Sectors: 12289661
17. MFT Start Cluster: 262144
18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 768103
19. Clusters per FRS: 246
20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
21. Serial Number: 0x4858B17F58B16BF6
22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
23. Boot Signatu 0xAA55

==================================
Boot Record for drive E: (Drive: 1, Starting sector: 24,579,513, Type:
NTFS)
==================================
1. Jump: EB 52 90
2. OEM Name: NTFS
3. Bytes per Sector: 512
4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
5. Reserved Sectors: 0
6. Number of FATs: 0
7. Root Dir Entries: 0
8. Total Sectors: 0
9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
10. Sectors per FAT: 0
11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
13. Hidden Sectors: 24579513 (0x1770DB9)
14. Total Sectors (32MB): 0 (0x0)
15. Unused: 0x80008000
16. Total NTFS Sectors: 95522426
17. MFT Start Cluster: 786432
18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 5970151
19. Clusters per FRS: 246
20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
21. Serial Number: 0x9E68510D6850E595
22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
23. Boot Signatu 0xAA55

==================================
Boot Record for drive F: (Drive: 2, Starting sector: 63, Type: NTFS)
==================================
1. Jump: EB 52 90
2. OEM Name: NTFS
3. Bytes per Sector: 512
4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
5. Reserved Sectors: 0
6. Number of FATs: 0
7. Root Dir Entries: 0
8. Total Sectors: 0
9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
10. Sectors per FAT: 0
11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
14. Total Sectors (32MB): 0 (0x0)
15. Unused: 0x80008000
16. Total NTFS Sectors: 3116546
17. MFT Start Cluster: 262144
18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 191784
19. Clusters per FRS: 246
20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
21. Serial Number: 0x2ADC59EADC59B0B5
22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
23. Boot Signatu 0xAA55

==================================
Boot Record for drive G: (Drive: 2, Starting sector: 3,116,673, Type:
NTFS)
==================================
1. Jump: EB 52 90
2. OEM Name: NTFS
3. Bytes per Sector: 512
4. Sectors per Cluster: 1
5. Reserved Sectors: 0
6. Number of FATs: 0
7. Root Dir Entries: 0
8. Total Sectors: 0
9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
10. Sectors per FAT: 0
11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
14. Total Sectors (32MB): 0 (0x0)
15. Unused: 0x80008000
16. Total NTFS Sectors: 18426491
17. MFT Start Cluster: 2350052
18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 5066511
19. Clusters per FRS: 2
20. Clusters per Index Blk: 8
21. Serial Number: 0x486CD7086CD6EFA4
22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
23. Boot Signatu 0xAA55

==================================
Boot Record for drive H: (Drive: 2, Starting sector: 21,543,228, Type:
NTFS)
==================================
1. Jump: EB 52 90
2. OEM Name: NTFS
3. Bytes per Sector: 512
4. Sectors per Cluster: 1
5. Reserved Sectors: 0
6. Number of FATs: 0
7. Root Dir Entries: 0
8. Total Sectors: 0
9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
10. Sectors per FAT: 0
11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
14. Total Sectors (32MB): 0 (0x0)
15. Unused: 0x80008000
16. Total NTFS Sectors: 138528431
17. MFT Start Cluster: 6291456
18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 16
19. Clusters per FRS: 2
20. Clusters per Index Blk: 8
21. Serial Number: 0x486CD7086CD6EFA4
22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
23. Boot Signatu 0xAA55

==================================
Boot Record for drive I: (Drive: 3, Starting sector: 63, Type: NTFS)
==================================
1. Jump: EB 52 90
2. OEM Name: NTFS
3. Bytes per Sector: 512
4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
5. Reserved Sectors: 0
6. Number of FATs: 0
7. Root Dir Entries: 0
8. Total Sectors: 0
9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
10. Sectors per FAT: 0
11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
14. Total Sectors (32MB): 0 (0x0)
15. Unused: 0x80008000
16. Total NTFS Sectors: 40130306
17. MFT Start Cluster: 300285
18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 705851
19. Clusters per FRS: 246
20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
21. Serial Number: 0x000000003F81E057
22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
23. Boot Signatu 0xAA55

--
gillie
Old November 19th 03, 06:24 PM
Rosie

Hi Joep. That my partitions are OK is very good news indeed! Yes,
booting from floppies starts up DI no trouble although I only did it
once, while starting from XPHome still fails.
However, Last evening it did leap into life from XP and I imaged my C:
drive but when I tried to start DI again this morning I got the error 1
message again and its been failing all day!
I had already done system restores going back for 4 or 5 days without
success and I tried removing programs I added within the timescale of
the fault developing. My guess is a software clash as you say my
partition data is OK, but hey, what do I know?!
Thanks very much for your interest Joep. Have you any other suggestions?

Make a (DOS) partinfo and post it here. Refer to manual for instructions on
creating a partinfo.

--
Joep

Hi Joep, here is the partinfo you asked for. Thanks for your help!
I have also run AVG anti-virus(with latest updates).

PowerQuest PartitionInfo 7.0 -- Windows NT/2000 Version
Date Generated: 11/18/03 20:41:17

================================================= ========================
==================================
[...]

================================================= =======================
==================================
I: NTFS Pri,Boot 19,594.9 0 0 63
40,130,307 40,130,307 0

================================================= ========================
==================================

Old November 20th 03, 02:43 PM
chrisv

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:48:41 +0100, "Folkert Rienstra"
wrote:

CHRISV, ON THE DOUBLE! NOW!!!!

26 lines for that, huh? Sheesh!

8)

Old November 20th 03, 04:25 PM
Rosie

In message , chrisv
writes
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:48:41 +0100, "Folkert Rienstra"
wrote:

CHRISV, ON THE DOUBLE! NOW!!!!

26 lines for that, huh? Sheesh!

8)