"Parameter is incorrect" (continued from another thread)

Old May 28th 04, 10:30 PM
Jeff Heikkinen

Default "Parameter is incorrect" (continued from another thread)

I *WAS* having what seemed to be problems with my burner, but they're
fixed. I think it was a case of crap burning software; I switched to
Nero and now everything's hunky dory as far as the burner goes.

However, I *still* can't read from the hard drive on the same channel.
The error message I now get when I click on it in Explorer is "E:\ is
not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." I have no idea what
parameter it's talking about - that's the entire message.

However, I ONLY have this problem in Windows XP. The same computer
dual-boots with Windows 98, and when I boot into 98 I can see the drive
just fine!

It doesn't seem to matter whether the drive in question is the master or
the slave. I've only tried it on the secondary channel. I've tried it
without the burner at all, jumpered to both Master and Cable Select, and
it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have replaced the IDE cable and
that didn't make a difference either.

Old May 29th 04, 11:44 AM
Bob

On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:30:12 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen wrote:

[...]

Lemme guess - it's a Mitsumi burner.

I had a similar problem with a Mitsumi CD-RW a few years back. I was
told by Mitsumi tech support that I can only have the CD-RW on the
channel. That was with NT4. When I changed to Win2K I could put a ZIP
drive on the channel with the CD-RW as Master.

I think you have found what the problem is - buggy drivers. That's
what it was for my NT4 setup.

Please tell us the make and model of that burner so we can avoid it.

--
Anubis, Supreme Goa'uld War Lord

* Mental Strength Is Essential For Success
* Fatigue Makes Cowards Of Us All
* Control The Ball
* Work On Lombardi Time
* Make That Second Effort
Old May 29th 04, 07:54 PM
Jeff Heikkinen

Bob, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
[...]

No, the brand name is IO Magic. It shows up as a generic in Windows,
though. Nevertheless I might try ditching its drivers and/or updating
its firmware later on.

I had a similar problem with a Mitsumi CD-RW a few years back. I was
told by Mitsumi tech support that I can only have the CD-RW on the
channel.

That would royally suck for me.

The thing is, though, in my case the two peacefully co-existed for a
long time - about half a year; if this were the problem I'd expect them
to have never worked together. So, while I've seen stranger things, I
don't suspect a driver issue.
Old May 29th 04, 08:02 PM
Jeff Heikkinen

Jeff Heikkinen, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
[...]

UPDATE:

I ran chkdsk on the drive in question and it reported that the FAT was
corrupted. That's the sort of thing, as I understand it, that Scandisk
sometimes can fix, so I ran it. Scandisk said it found errors and fixed
them all, but I still can't read from that drive in Windows XP (and
still can in Win 98 and DOS), getting the same error message as before.

What else can I do about a corrupt FAT? Is it time to low-level format?
Old May 29th 04, 08:37 PM
Jeff Heikkinen

Folkert Rienstra, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
See what FindPart thinks of it.

If that's the program at the top of
http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.htm, I found it but I haven't
the faintest idea how to use it, even after reading the readme file.

Old May 29th 04, 08:41 PM
Bob

On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:54:59 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen wrote:

I had a similar problem with a Mitsumi CD-RW a few years back. I was
told by Mitsumi tech support that I can only have the CD-RW on the
channel.

That would royally suck for me.

The thing is, though, in my case the two peacefully co-existed for a
long time - about half a year; if this were the problem I'd expect them
to have never worked together. So, while I've seen stranger things, I
don't suspect a driver issue.

I do.

My situation was the reverse of yours. My older version of Windows NT4
was incompatible with the Mitsumi drivers, whereas the newer version
Win2K was compatible. Your older version of Win98 is compatible
whereas your newer version of XP is not compatible.

Did you check the HCL?

Old May 29th 04, 08:42 PM
Bob

On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:02:10 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen wrote:

What else can I do about a corrupt FAT? Is it time to low-level format?

I would get rid of the drive.

Old May 29th 04, 09:12 PM
Jeff Heikkinen

Folkert Rienstra, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
See what FindPart thinks of it.

Here's the output, but even after a look at the Partition Notes page on
their site I can't make heads or tails of most of it. Any ideas?

Disk: 3 Cylinders: 1240 Heads: 255 Sectors: 63 MB: 9727

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS CHS
0 - 0C 63 19920537 9726 0 1 1 1239 254 63 BU OK

-----FAT CHS -Size Cl --Root -Good -Rep. Maybe --Bad YYMMDD DataMB
0 1 33 9723 8# 2# 9723 0 0 0 001215 3068

Partitions according to partition tables on third harddisk:

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS CHS
0 1*0C 63 19920537 9726 0 1 1 1239*254 63 NB OK

Old May 29th 04, 10:19 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Jeff Heikkinen" wrote in message . ..
Folkert Rienstra, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
See what FindPart thinks of it.

Here's the output, but even after a look at the Partition Notes page on
their site I can't make heads or tails of most of it. Any ideas?

Disk: 3 Cylinders: 1240 Heads: 255 Sectors: 63 MB: 9727

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS CHS
0 - 0C 63 19920537 9726 0 1 1 1239 254 63 BU OK

-----FAT CHS -Size Cl --Root -Good -Rep. Maybe --Bad YYMMDD DataMB
0 1 33 9723 8# 2# 9723 0 0 0 001215 3068

Partitions according to partition tables on third harddisk:

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS CHS
0 1*0C 63 19920537 9726 0 1 1 1239*254 63 NB OK

Findpart reports the backup (BU) bootsector (BS) in the
first paragraph and reports a nota bene (NB) in the third.

Appears like the original bootsector is missing. It's possible that some
OSes make do with the backup bootsector without complaints and that
others play blindman and act like the drive hasn't been formatted at all.

XP apparently reacts with that extremely obvious (not!) "Parameter is incorrect".