New Dell 15" Inspiron M531R-5535 and Windows 8.1

Old February 11th 14, 05:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default New Dell 15" Inspiron M531R-5535 and Windows 8.1

How can I best start to trash this absolutely awful Dell laptop and operating system combination? Well, she bought it from QVC for est. $779, figured out how to install the Office 2013 bundled with the system, could no longer find any Office programs in Metro-land, and called me on advice of her friend. This being her first laptop, she did not realize what she was doing when she hibernated it instead of shutting it down before bringing it to me, along with her ancient Dimension 4300 tower. And she did not make an accurate written record of the password she created when the system first started up. But we have ways of blowing away login passwords under dire circumstances, so the next thing I did after breaking into the system (ethically, of course) was to install ClassicShell to get back an honest start button. Then, it was the usual repeated install-updates-reboot-rinse-and-spin-dry cycles you get with any new Windows install. After that, data, favorites and desktop wallpaper found their way from old Dell tower to new Dell laptop.

So why trash the laptop and Windows 8? Well, the CPU is a quad core AMD something-or-other running at a screaming 1.6GHz. You can watch the wallpaper dry on the screen as it runs. The motherboard has no temperature sensors like most decent laptops (even the AMD-powered Inspiron 1501), so you can never know how hot the system is running. The vry useful Coretemp saw no sensors.

And what can I say about Metro? Even with ClassicShell, woe unto you should you happen to run a Metro-style APP. All the apps want you to create an account for yourself on the Microsoft borg mothership to even run at all. So you run the App and click Cancel (or X), and you want to get back to the ClassicShell Start button, or even the Metro excuse for Start? Well, Ctrl-Alt-Del works perfectly 'cause it lets you kill the offending app. And I do not know any other way to do so. Anybody have an idea? Quick, all you happy Windows 8 users, respond.

The Inspiron M531R-5535 and similar models also get low scores for maintainability and repair. One long panel on the bottom comes off by loosening two screws, exposing the hard drive and memory. But the wifi card is nowhere to be found, hidden away somewhere beneath the plastic. And there is no way to clean the debris around the processor heat sink and fan, should the six cats in your house decide to shed in unison and bed down next to the laptop.

Oh, yeah, avoid QVC. That's obviously the dumping ground for Michael's poorly designed hardware. Some of it, anyway. Windows 8 and such cheap and poorly designed computers do not bode well for Michael's newly privatized company... Ben Myers
Old February 11th 14, 09:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

Must be a custom bargain basement machine to have that slow chip.

And what can I say about Metro? Even with ClassicShell, woe unto you
should you happen to run a Metro-style APP. All the apps want you to
create an account for yourself on the Microsoft borg mothership to
even run at all. So you run the App and click Cancel (or X), and you
want to get back to the ClassicShell Start button, or even the Metro
excuse for Start? Well, Ctrl-Alt-Del works perfectly 'cause it lets
you kill the offending app. And I do not know any other way to do
so. Anybody have an idea? Quick, all you happy Windows 8 users,
respond.

Move cursor to top of screen on app.
Click and drag down to close.
Drag to left/right to drop app to 1/3 screen
To get to metro/start while app in on screen go to lower left corner and
it will pop up, select it and the app screen will come up.

--
Steve W.
Old February 12th 14, 05:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:23:46 AM UTC-5, Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

"a custom bargain basement machine." Right. Only $779. And from QVC!!!! Must be a bargain. Must be a basement. Filene's basement, once of Boston fam, migrates to TV land, and product quality goes to hell. My refurb Dell E6410s and E6400s are way better for a lot less... Ben
Old April 4th 14, 01:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:41:44 PM UTC-6, Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

I just had a friend order a Toshiba with that quad for $300 from Best Buy!
It got here in one day...I have to say 8.1 is almost bearable compared to the original incarnation!
Old April 4th 14, 09:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve

On 11/02/2014 05:23, Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

Good old Alt+F4 will close any metro app on my Inspiron 7520.

Old April 5th 14, 04:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Friday, April 4, 2014 8:26:24 AM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
[...]

"Almost bearable." I guess you could say Windows 8.1 is damned by faint praise. I guess you could also say that 8.1 is forward(?) progress for Microsoft. Springsteen sang "One step up and two steps back." Must have been singing about the Windows waltz. Seriously, ClassicShell does restore some semblance of order to the whole mess, until we all get nimble with the touchscreen computers. When we get them.
Old April 5th 14, 04:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

[...]

People complain about Best Buy prices. Well, they're better than QVC prices, FWIW.