adding video card

Old September 20th 10, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Default adding video card

Bought an MSI nf980-g65 nvidia motherboard for on board hdmi.

After repeated attempts to get sound to travel the cable along with
video, threw in the towel.

Found an EVGA GeForce 210 card to use in place of the on board. The
reviews all say plug and play for sound and video.

Anything beyond disabling the on board video in the BIOS I need to do?
Been many years since I last built a box.

Thanks
Old September 20th 10, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

pheasant16 wrote:
Bought an MSI nf980-g65 nvidia motherboard for on board hdmi.

After repeated attempts to get sound to travel the cable along with
video, threw in the towel.

Found an EVGA GeForce 210 card to use in place of the on board. The
reviews all say plug and play for sound and video.

Anything beyond disabling the on board video in the BIOS I need to do?
Been many years since I last built a box.

Thanks

I blew out my sound chip on the msi motherboard.
(dont ask... )
I just disabled it in the bios, and bought a pci
card(Xear3d).
Everything works(after switching to another pci
slot because the first slot failed).
Dirty slot?? broken slot??
I dont want to know
Old September 20th 10, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

pheasant16 wrote:
Bought an MSI nf980-g65 nvidia motherboard for on board hdmi.

After repeated attempts to get sound to travel the cable along with
video, threw in the towel.

Found an EVGA GeForce 210 card to use in place of the on board. The
reviews all say plug and play for sound and video.

Anything beyond disabling the on board video in the BIOS I need to do?
Been many years since I last built a box.

Thanks

"MSI NF980-G65 - How to disable on-board video? (EVGA says to do this?) GTX260"

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PH...topic=137170.0

*******

Is the RealTek driver supposed to work for both sound sources ? It's possible
the RealTek panel has some kind of selector like this, to select HDMI as
the sound path.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c01335134.jpg

OK, I downloaded both drivers from the MSI site, for a look.

The thing is, both the RealTek audio driver package, and the
Nvidia video package, have HDAudio drivers included for HDMI. The
RealTek should refuse to install its HDMI component, as RealTek should be triggered
by AMD chipsets (and not Nvidia). But, it's possible, that RealTek control
panel, *might* list the Nvidia entry. I can see the potential for a
conflict, if one of the two companies makes mistakes.

If I had the install to do over again, I'd start with just the
Nvidia video driver, and then look in the Sound control panel,
to see if I had HDMI sound.

For WinXP, my order would be:

1) WinXP CD.
2) WinXP SP3 standalone (to bring install to SP3 level).
This gives a working Microsoft UAA audio driver.
(If the original CD was SP3, like mine is, you'd skip this step.
This step is if your CD is an older one.)
3) Nvidia video driver (includes HDMI audio via HDaudio driver component)

If everything works, leave it alone. Or

4) Install RealTek, end up with a couple more audio options.
Sound will either be by RealTek analog or Nvidia HDMI, at your
choosing. (At least, as long as the RealTek doesn't try to
control everything.) If this step screws up, uninstall RealTek.

If, after step (3), there was no Nvidia audio option, it could be
that there was a problem installing UAA. There shouldn't be, if
SP3 was installed, as SP3 includes the UAA hotfix. Previous
versions would be missing UAA, and then the audio driver package
installs UAA via its own hotfix folder. The Nvidia package doesn't
have that folder, but the ReakTek one has "MSHDQFE".

So things are complicated, by the UAA issue. RealTek tries to solve it,
by having UAA included for older OSes. And occasionally, there are problems
when the RealTek deals with UAA. With the Nvidia video package,
I don't see a QFE type folder, so I don't know how they resolve the
"do we have UAA" issue. UAA is the part of the stack, that the
device specific driver interfaces to. And UAA is a Microsoft driver.

If you drill down in the RealTek package, you can see files like this:

kb888111xpsp1.exe
kb888111xpsp2.exe

and those would cover WinXP installs that aren't at SP3 level already.
That is how RealTek handles pre-SP3 systems. I don't see those files
in the Nvidia package, but they may have some other way to do it.

The initial Microsoft release for KB888111, had those installers
in 25 different langauges. When bundled, as in that example, only
the English one is included.

On my system, Device Manager has UAA in the System Devices section:

"Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio"

Your situation isn't going to be appreciably simplified, by the addition
of the 210. You'll still be using a hybrid Nvidia video (+audio) driver
package, with potentially the same UAA issue. If RealTek is causing this
problem, installing the 210 won't change things. You'll have to sort out
whatever issues those two packages have, on your system. If you want
HDMI bad enough (and don't plan on using analog audio), then simply
avoiding RealTek might be enough to fix it.

HTH,
Paul
Old September 20th 10, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jan Alter

"Paul" wrote in message
pheasant16 wrote:
[...]

Adding an HDMI graphics card gave no particular problems to a GIGABYTE
GA-G31M-ES2L mb that has onboard VGA. When installing the graphics card the
mb disabled video itself without going into the bios. What came with the
graphics card (ASUS EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) was a SPDIF cable which
got plugged into the mb and the graphics card. From what I understand (or
perhaps misunderstand) this small 2 wire braided cable is supposed to enable
HDMI sound between the mb and the graphics card to output to the HDMI
cable.

--
Jan Alter

Old September 20th 10, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Paul wrote:
pheasant16 wrote:
[...]

Hi Paul

Think you tried to help me when I was still struggling with the on board
audio mentioned above. At that time I found the driver disk that came
with the mobo, and installed the nvidia drivers. I have Win XP SP3 as
OS, and under sound all I show is the analog realtek device. SIGH :\

That's why I was kind of hoping that when I put in the video card I'd
remove all reference to realtek audio in device manager and let the box
see if it can make me happy without my intervention.

Like I said, I'm rusty and reading the MSI forums has gotten me no where.

Hey what the heck, winter will be here in a couple months, I can devote
some real time to this then if I can't stumble onto something
haphazardly before then. (wish I was 20 something and a real techie)

Mark
Old September 21st 10, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

pheasant16 wrote:
Bought an MSI nf980-g65 nvidia motherboard for on board hdmi.

After repeated attempts to get sound to travel the cable along with
video, threw in the towel.

How's this for pure luck.................

Reading the manual for the EVGA card, says to be sure the hdmi output is
set to spdif for audio.

Figured since the card isn't here yet; I'll see what that would do for
the motherboard audio. Changed the BOIS default for HDMI audio output to
SPDIF from the default HDMI. Now the nvidia HD audio shows up in the
sound devices, set it as the default device, and all of a sudden the TV
speakers came to life.

OK. Now I can return the video card once it gets here.

Gotta love the documentation that comes with the hardware.

Paul; thanks again for telling me to add the nvidia
drivers.................a month ago!

Mark

Old September 21st 10, 04:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

pheasant16 wrote:
pheasant16 wrote:
[...]

So, that suggests the Nvidia design, is still an S/PDIF passthru type ?

I wasn't expecting that.

Maybe there is some way to figure this out, using Lavalys Everest, as then
you might get some hint as to whether there is an actual Nvidia audio device
or not.

Paul
Old September 21st 10, 01:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Paul wrote:

So, that suggests the Nvidia design, is still an S/PDIF passthru type ?

I wasn't expecting that.

Maybe there is some way to figure this out, using Lavalys Everest, as then
you might get some hint as to whether there is an actual Nvidia audio
device
or not.

Paul

LOL!!!! That will remain a mystery. It's workin.........I ain't
touchin.