Has anyone had a problem with their LCD monitor waking up from itsmonitor sleep?

Old October 11th 09, 06:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

Default Has anyone had a problem with their LCD monitor waking up from itsmonitor sleep?

Hello!

This morning (computer was not used for over 11 hours; screen saver came
up after 75 minutes; monitor went to sleep after two hours), my 19"
Samsung 931BF LCD monitor (VGA connection due to an old KVM switch)
wouldn't wake up for the first time with this 10-11 months old ATI
Radeon HD 4870 video card (512 MB) and system (did a major upgrade end
of December 2008. My other computer with its EVGA GeForce 8800 GT, again
on KVM and VGA connection, detected the monitor's wakeup just fine.

I checked my updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 (IE6)'s event logs and nothing
odd about this. I was able to connect to my computer remotely with SSH
connection and it wasn't frozen. I just couldn't wake up the monitor. I
tried killing ccc.exe too, but that didn't help. Is there a way to
restart the video driver's signal or something? I checked thc video
cables too and nothing helped. I did a psshutdown -r -f with via SSH and
was able to see my screen after the computer reboot.

I recall my five years old office machine (onboard ATI Radeon X300?) did
it a few times, rarely, and could not figure out why (even driver
upgrades). So I disabled its monitor sleep and turned off the monitor
manually (I rarely forget, but if I did then my employer's boring screen
saver runs). If I still can't fix it on my home PC, I might have to do
the same trick.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I have never seen this sleep and
wakeup problem on non-ATI video cards with various NVIDIA video cards
(GeForce 4200, 5200, 6800 AGP, and 7950 GT KO) and formerly 3Dfx
(Monsters 3D 1-Voodoo 1 and Creative 3D Blaster-Voodoo 2) and 2D cards
(before 3D cards like Diamond Stealth).

Thank you in advance.
--
"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old October 12th 09, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

On 10/11/2009 2:27 PM PT, Beckett typed:

This morning (computer was not used for over 11 hours; screen saver came
up after 75 minutes; monitor went to sleep after two hours), my 19"
Samsung 931BF LCD monitor (VGA connection due to an old KVM switch)
wouldn't wake up for the first time with this 10-11 months old ATI
Radeon HD 4870 video card (512 MB) and system (did a major upgrade end
of December 2008. My other computer with its EVGA GeForce 8800 GT, again
on KVM and VGA connection, detected the monitor's wakeup just fine.

I put in a 5870 using their 5870 recommended drivers on Win7 and I got
a BSOD when the PC woke. Never had that issue with 4870 on sam,e OS
and drivers up to 9.9. I turned off the sleep option for now and only
allow it to turne off the Samsung LCD which causes no issue.

Interesting. I am still using v9.7 and had it installed since July 2009.
I don't know if driver upgrades will fix it.
--
o/~ All the little ants are marching, red and black antennae waving...
they all do it the same... they all do it the same... way... o/~ --Ants

Old October 17th 09, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

On 10/17/2009 12:12 PM PT, Tom typed:

I've had that problem before, but it has only happened three times and
the most likely cause here was the F@H GPU client crashing the card.

Interesting. I don't use that client but do have basic 2D (doesn't use
OpenGL, Direct3D, etc.) screen savers.

When I returned and couldn't wake the computer up with the mouse and
realized that the computer itself hadn't crashed, I did the memorized 6
keystrokes that reboot a Windows XP computer. Once a restart had begun,
the GPU once again displayed the normal booting sequence.

Yep, sounds like mine with ssh method.

Lately the problem I've been having is that, while the Display
properties have both the "Blank" screen saver and the monitor shut-off
enabled, the computer fails to start the screen saver or shut-off the
monitor in their allotted time.

You know what. I am having this problem too sometimes. I thought it was
because of my Mozilla's SeaMonkey v1.1.18 Web browser interferring with
them. Were you running anything?

I'm using WinXP Pro (SP2) with a ATI HD3850 and v9.1 of the ATI drivers,
with no CCC installed. The monitor is a Samsung 971p.

Sorry, not much to go on.

At least we're not alone!
--
"God is a mean kid sitting on an ant-hill with a magnifying glass, and
I'm the ant." --Bruce Nolan (Bruce Almighty movie)
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Problem after waking from S3 standby GTS Ati Videocards 0 July 15th 08 09:29 PM
monitor is not waking up Chuck General 3 October 25th 07 06:47 AM
waking laptop from sleep Paul Nvidia Videocards 0 January 15th 07 10:10 PM
Monitor not waking up Michael Ray Brown Nvidia Videocards 2 December 2nd 06 11:59 PM
New MSI GF4 MX440, Monitor won't go into sleep mode. Anyone have same problem? Bill Nvidia Videocards 0 January 22nd 04 09:32 PM