Attn: Bob Headrick

Old June 5th 09, 04:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

Default Question to Bob Headrick

"Mary" wrote in message
"(snip)
I am not asking about Canon IP4000. I am asking about an HP 4345 and that
was what my original post was about.
I want another printer and will probably keep the IP4000 for now at least.

(snip)

Mary - if you are keeping the ip4000 as a backup you will need to print
something in color fairly frequently or the printhead will get clogged. A
friend of mine has an ip5000 which he let sit too long while using another
printer he had purchased. The printhead became fatally clogged! I took a
printhead from one of my ip5000 printers and checked his printer and it
functioned perfectly. If he buys a new printhead for it for about $45 - $50
he will have an excellent functioning printer. If he lets it sit unused for
a long period of time he will have the same problem again.

TJ mentioned the same issue with an HP with the printhead integrated into
each cart. The good news there, however, is that if a cart/printhead
becomes clogged you just buy another cart. A low volume user with two
inkjet printers has to stay on top of this issue to keep both functioning
well.

Old June 5th 09, 05:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mary[_4_]

"Burt" wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Burt - I think you are right about not letting the printer sit too long.
Doesn't Canon and Epson tend to do the same thing to their printhead if you
don't use them fairly frequently. When you say fairly frequently do you mean
once a week and print a few sheets of paper in color and black? And yes, I
will likely keep the IP4000 as a backup.

TJ mentioned the same issue with an HP with the printhead integrated into
each cart. The good news there, however, is that if a cart/printhead
becomes clogged you just buy another cart. A low volume user with two
inkjet printers has to stay on top of this issue to keep both functioning
well.

Thats what I had in mind but wasn't sure if it was a good idea but I think
it could work out OK. The IP4000 is a good printer, but the HP I am
considering, may be ok for what I want it to do. It has a photocopier which
would be handy, and a scanner and a fax, though I wouldn't use the fax or at
least very rarely. It just happened to have one. Its one of the more compact
printers as I don't have a lot of room. Thanks Burt.

Mary

Old June 5th 09, 06:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
IntergalacticExpandingPanda

On Jun 4, 10:06 am, "Mary" wrote:

You have already given me your opinion on this several times. I want another
printer as well. Is anything wrong with that?
Thanks for your comments and opinion. You have given me a lot of
information.

There is nothing wrong with wanting another printer. But another
printer isn't going to be as cheap to maintain as the ip4000.
Refilling yourself, buying bulk ink from Precision colors, works out
to be CDN $2.11 per big black, and $1.20 per color tank. Prefilled
cartridges start at double this.

Keep in mind that newer printers tend to have higher costs.

-----Now there is the Kodak Easyshare AIO printer-----

http://www.ca.buy.com/prod/COMBO_COL...211083147.html

You'll have to check out Canadian prices but if buy.ca is accurate you
can get a black for about CDN$9. The yield is about 400p putting it
on par with the ip4000 in terms of raw cost. The color cartridge is
around USD$15 but buy.ca claims you can get a par for $18.

Staples.ca says $10 for the black, $15 for the color, $23 for the
combo set.

Black 400p @ $10 =2.5c/page CDN

http://www.ca.buy.com/prod/Kodak_Eas...210479353.html

The 5300 is technically an older model, but the price is right at
$110. http://printers.kodak.com/

I know nothing about these printers. I thought about them, I even
went so far as to ask for samples from Kodak. They don't offer
samples.

I don't expect getting the color tank for much less than $15
aftermarket. Maybe $9.00, perhaps as low as $5. This is just a
guess. The color tank uses pigment ink which costs more than dye.

I've not used the printer, and there have been "some" complaints about
photos being over saturated.

For a Canadian, the price of ink is even MORE attractive since they
don't mark it up 20% higher. But I've not seen the printer in
action.
Old June 6th 09, 06:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 20:35:12 -0700, Burt wrote:

"Mary" wrote in message
"(snip)
I am not asking about Canon IP4000. I am asking about an HP 4345 and that
was what my original post was about.
I want another printer and will probably keep the IP4000 for now at least.

(snip)

Mary - if you are keeping the ip4000 as a backup you will need to print
something in color fairly frequently or the printhead will get clogged.

That is a total fabrication and untrue. When using the Canon recommended
ink you can let the printer sit for at least up to a month and then print
something in color without a problem of issue. I have done this many
times and I do not consider that frequently.

Now if you use crap no name pseudo ink and are dumb enough to risk your
printer and waste your money than maybe you need to take these extreme
measures.

Many people who can afford to use good Canon ink can afford to take a
vacation for a month and they do not ruin their printers.

A friend of mine has an ip5000 which he let sit too long while using
another printer he had purchased. The printhead became fatally clogged!
I took a printhead from one of my ip5000 printers and checked his
printer and it functioned perfectly. If he buys a new printhead for it
for about $45 - $50 he will have an excellent functioning printer. If
he lets it sit unused for a long period of time he will have the same
problem again.

More proof of what noname inferior ink can do.

TJ mentioned the same issue with an HP with the printhead integrated
into each cart. The good news there, however, is that if a
cart/printhead becomes clogged you just buy another cart. A low volume
user with two inkjet printers has to stay on top of this issue to keep
both functioning well.

TJ also uses inferior ink. I also have an hp and use hp ink and have let
it sit for over a month and have not problems.
Old June 6th 09, 06:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 00:19:30 -0400, Mary wrote:

"Burt" wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

I am not sure he really knows what he means since he does not use a real
Canon printer as designed by Canon.

A real Canon printer uses a Canon branded cartridge with Canon branded
ink. I use this all of the time and have not problem after the printer
sits for a week.

Some Epson printer models have an issue and other models like the R series
do not and again we are talking about real Epson printers with factory
ink.

Most of the time you get what you pay for.

Old June 6th 09, 06:11 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 21:49:07 -0400, TJ wrote:

Mary wrote:

I am not asking about Canon IP4000. I am asking about an HP 4345 and that
was what my original post was about.
I want another printer and will probably keep the IP4000 for now at least.

AH-HA! I, for one, misunderstood the intent of your original post. Could

Me too. Over about 20 posts it seems one time it is vanilla and the next
time it is chocolate and the next time everything seems encrypted.

be others did as well. I thought you were looking to replace the IP4000,
not back it up. That makes a difference in the way one looks at
things.

Why would anybody want to back up a printer with one that has the same
functionality on anything that is not mission critical.

I have two working HP printers, a Deskjet 5650, and an Officejet 6110.
Both use the #56 and #57 carts. I picked up the 5650 at a church sale
for free as a backup for my then main printer, a PSC 2110 that was
showing signs of potential failure. I did have to buy a $15 power supply
for the 5650 before I could use it, but that was all. It made a nice
backup because it used the same cartridges as the PSC.

A few months later the PSC did fail. (The scanner bulb failed to
initialize. Come to think of it, that's the problem with using an AIO.
Scanner bulbs don't last forever, and if the bulb goes out or gets too
dim to initialize your printer is gone, too.) The 5650 was able to step
right in and take over all printing tasks, except those related to the
scanner. That was the reason I bought the Officejet 6110 - on eBay. I
had become used to being able to make copies at the touch of a button,
and my Visioneer scanner won't work with Linux. The 6110 scanner works
perfectly with Linux, and if I use the sheet feeder I can make
legal-size copies and scans, too. As I said before, I refill my own
carts, so the cost per page is nearly negligible.

So now the 5650 is my "main" printer, and the 6110 is my backup...
except that I use the 6110 now and again to make a copy or scan
something. One piece of advice, if you're going to use the HP as a
backup, ready to step in if the Canon fails... Based on my experience
with my HPs, you'll want to print a page with that printer at least once
a month to keep the printhead clear - more often if the humidity is low.
And it doesn't matter if you're using OEM or aftermarket ink. Both take
about the same amount of idle time to dry up.

TJ

Old June 6th 09, 06:11 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

measher-****-head, the lying oem ink drinking loser wrote:
---deleted this assholes diatribe
lies, as a public service--

STFU you lying POS of useless ****!
Old June 6th 09, 06:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

measher-****-head, the lying oem ink drinking fool wrote:

Mary - if you are keeping the ip4000 as a backup you will need to print
something in color fairly frequently or the printhead will get clogged.

That is a total fabrication and untrue.

Liar!

When using the Canon recommended
ink you can let the printer sit for at least up to a month and then print
something in color without a problem of issue.

Liar!

I have done this many
times and I do not consider that frequently.

More of your lies!

Now if you use crap no name pseudo ink and are dumb enough to risk your
printer and waste your money than maybe you need to take these extreme
measures.

Even more of your lies!

Many people who can afford to use good Canon ink can afford to take a
vacation for a month and they do not ruin their printers.

You are a pathological liar. Get some help measher-****-head!
Oh and STFU!

Bob Headrick; ? on 7960 ET Printers 7 February 26th 05 04:53 PM
Bob Headrick, a ? on 7960 ET Printers 4 December 29th 04 01:21 AM
Bob Headrick urgent !!!! geo Printers 2 October 12th 04 08:35 AM
ATTN: BOB HEADRICK Larry Ort Printers 2 September 27th 03 12:24 AM
Ping...Bob Headrick warren weber Printers 2 August 28th 03 05:39 AM