Laptop, 1st sign of life, WHEN?

Old August 5th 20, 12:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bad sector

Default Laptop, 1st sign of life, WHEN?

Aging Asus g73sw-xt1 Laptop:

After having disassembled the unit, I made many repairs including
resoldering the AC-Adapter pin. Then I reinstalled the mobo and fans in
the bottom tray. Connected the power and pressed the ON button: nothing.
I had expected the fans to start moving. There isn't a single LED on
this board to show anything. For now the question is still relatively
simple, when should I see something that says the board is 'working'?

TIA

Old August 5th 20, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

bad sector wrote:

Aging Asus g73sw-xt1 Laptop:

After having disassembled the unit, I made many repairs including
resoldering the AC-Adapter pin. Then I reinstalled the mobo and fans in
the bottom tray. Connected the power and pressed the ON button: nothing.
I had expected the fans to start moving. There isn't a single LED on
this board to show anything. For now the question is still relatively
simple, when should I see something that says the board is 'working'?

TIA

I'd start by verifying the battery pack is connected.

Is there cabling for that ?

Then review whether the AC Adapter input path is wired up.
Some of those use a separate PCB for the connector, and the
separate PCB has to be wired up.

The power button, depending on design, also has to be
connected. It could be on its own subassembly and using
a cable.

Just do the usual things.

If you took digital camera photos during the disassembly, you
can use those for comparing the before and after.

Paul
Old August 5th 20, 05:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bad sector

On 2020-08-05 10:17, Paul wrote:
bad sector wrote:

[...]

Â*Â* Paul

Thanks

There's no battery, chucked it ages ago and have been on the AC-adaptor
since. I just finished the reassembly and it don't work. Gonnna test for
AC-adapter output this evening, then if that's OK I'm taking it apart
again while also trying to soak up one of them u-tube videos about
Laptop-TS. Never done no laptop before.

Old August 5th 20, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bad sector

On 2020-08-05 10:17, Paul wrote:
bad sector wrote:

[...]

Â*Â*Â* Paul

Thanks

There's no battery, chucked it ages ago and have been on the AC-adaptor
since. I just finished the reassembly and it don't work. Gonnna test for
AC-adapter output this evening, then if that's OK I'm taking it apart
again while also trying to soak up one of them u-tube videos about
Laptop-TS. Never done no laptop before.

19.2 volts out of PS, 18.5-19.2 on the mobo pin I had just resoldered.
When I pulled the unit off line it was because it had just 'died' for
unknown reasons. So I'll be dismantling it again, hopefully find the
cause somewhere along the line. Right off the bat I pulled the speaker
connector right out of the mobo as the the connector halves just
wouldn't undo. Could've been worse, the speakers I don't need anyway.

Old August 6th 20, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bad sector

On 2020-08-05 10:17, Paul wrote:
bad sector wrote:

[...]

just found a pro willing to give it a try but he warned me that it may
not be fixable for a reasonable price (i.e. possibility of big ticket parts)

Old August 25th 20, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bad sector

Default Re [solved]: Laptop, 1st sign of life, WHEN?

On 2020-08-05 10:17, Paul wrote:
bad sector wrote:

[...]

I had sent it to TWO pros, the first one sat on it for a month and did
NOTHING, then I went and picked it up. Then I tried to fix it myself,
resoldered 1 power connector mobo pin and put it all together but it
would not light up. Then I sent it to another pro who declared the same
power adapter connector dead and changed it, total cost $190cdn. IF I
had just persevered another hour on the connector...maybe. I was set to
buy a new Lenovo, I guess that'll be for another day

Battery life of Vista vs XP on laptop ? Skybuck Flying[_2_] Nvidia Videocards 17 July 30th 08 12:43 AM
Battery life of Vista vs XP on laptop ? Skybuck Flying[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 17 July 30th 08 12:43 AM
With restored image on new Laptop HD - Sign in then auto log offthen sign in and ditto ditto Rock Storage (alternative) 9 April 14th 08 12:57 AM
Laptop battery life dying. OM General 6 January 24th 07 02:03 AM
looking for used laptop with long battery life Phil Schuman Compaq Computers 0 August 7th 03 03:45 PM