Guiding a 14 year old nephew on building his own computer

Old August 27th 20, 05:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Guiding a 14 year old nephew on building his own computer

My nephew is 14 and living in another state who wants to build his own
computer.

I sent following YouTube videos for him to watch and learn how to do it.

Build a PC - Step-by-step
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q

Beginners Guide - Build a PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVmcD8v3vR4

How To Build a $500 Gaming PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFyhn6seoow

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he can do homework, learn
new topics etc.

Would the following parts be compatible to buy, assemble?

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...dp/B0785GRMPG/

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-C...dp/B014W3EM2W/

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barra...dp/B07D99KFPK/

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-360...dp/B07STGGQ18/

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...dp/B07RM39V5F/

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-13...dp/B06Y66K3XD/

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-X570...dp/B07SXF8GY3/

I would appreciate any suggestions

Thanks
Old August 27th 20, 07:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Anssi Saari

s writes:

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he can do homework,
learn new topics etc.

Would the following parts be compatible to buy, assemble?

I don't see any issues but I didn't check it closely. One thing is, I'd
definitely go with an SSD instead of a hard drive. Or one of each but
that might be confusing for a first build.
Old August 27th 20, 12:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 8/27/2020 2:29 AM, Anssi Saari wrote:
s writes:

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he can do homework,
learn new topics etc.

Would the following parts be compatible to buy, assemble?

I don't see any issues but I didn't check it closely. One thing is, I'd
definitely go with an SSD instead of a hard drive. Or one of each but
that might be confusing for a first build.

I was going to give the same suggestion. In 2020 a new build with a
spinning primary drive would be like going back to 2016. I have no
objection to spinners in a secondary data-only role but never for the
system disk in a modern system. Although I don't find it best a
SATA-connected SSD rather than an M.2 type might be easier to understand
for a beginner.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.
Old August 30th 20, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

s writes:

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he can do homework,
learn new topics etc.

Would the following parts be compatible to buy, assemble?

I don't see any issues but I didn't check it closely. One thing is, I'd
definitely go with an SSD instead of a hard drive. Or one of each but
that might be confusing for a first build.

I was going to give the same suggestion. In 2020 a new build with a
spinning primary drive would be like going back to 2016. I have no
objection to spinners in a secondary data-only role but never for the
system disk in a modern system. Although I don't find it best a
SATA-connected SSD rather than an M.2 type might be easier to understand
for a beginner.

Thanks, I will advise him to use a M.2 SSD.
Old August 30th 20, 02:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

s writes:

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he can do homework,
learn new topics etc.

Would the following parts be compatible to buy, assemble?

I don't see any issues but I didn't check it closely. One thing is, I'd
definitely go with an SSD instead of a hard drive. Or one of each but
that might be confusing for a first build.

I was going to give the same suggestion. In 2020 a new build with a
spinning primary drive would be like going back to 2016. I have no
objection to spinners in a secondary data-only role but never for the
system disk in a modern system. Although I don't find it best a
SATA-connected SSD rather than an M.2 type might be easier to understand
for a beginner.

Thanks, I will advise him to use a M.2 SSD.

Actually, my suggestion was than a standard SATA interface would be easier
to understand. There is a matter with an M.2 SSD which requires a driver to
be loaded during the OS installation process -- without the required driver
the M.2 is effectively unavailable -- and some find that to be tricky. Up
to you of course. The M.2 will give much better performance but you should
study up on how to provide the requisite driver during the OS install so
there are no slip ups.

Old August 30th 20, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 8/27/2020 12:29 AM, Anssi Saari wrote:
s writes:

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he can do homework,
learn new topics etc.

Would the following parts be compatible to buy, assemble?

I don't see any issues but I didn't check it closely. One thing is, I'd
definitely go with an SSD instead of a hard drive. Or one of each but
that might be confusing for a first build.

Thanks, I will advise him to use a SSD.
Old August 27th 20, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bad sector

On 2020-08-27 00:37, s wrote:

My nephew is 14 and living in another state who wants to build his own
computer.

I sent following YouTube videos for him to watch and learn how to do it.

Build a PC - Step-by-step
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q

Beginners Guide - Build a PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVmcD8v3vR4

How To Build a $500 Gaming PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFyhn6seoow

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he can do homework, learn
new topics etc.

Would the following parts be compatible to buy, assemble?

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...dp/B0785GRMPG/

I like that case, made me one ten years ago that draws filtered air in
via the raised bottom and 3 4" silent fans with all other fans reversed
if required. Has been working very well with cpu never above 47c. I
have another idea now but before that I might just get me one of those
cases from amazon!

--
Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive

Old August 30th 20, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 2020-08-27 00:37, s wrote:

My nephew is 14 and living in another state who wants to build his own
computer.

I sent following YouTube videos for him to watch and learn how to do it.

Build a PC - Step-by-step
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q

Beginners Guide - Build a PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVmcD8v3vR4

How To Build a $500 Gaming PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFyhn6seoow

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he can do homework,
learn new topics etc.

Would the following parts be compatible to buy, assemble?

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...dp/B0785GRMPG/

I like that case, made me one ten years ago that draws filtered air in
via the raised bottom and 3 4" silent fans with all other fans reversed
if required. Has been working very well with cpu never above 47c.Â* I
have another idea now but before that I might just get me one of those
cases from amazon!

Would the single fan in this
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...dp/B0785GRMPG/
be enough for cooling?
Old August 30th 20, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bad sector

On 2020-08-27 00:37, s wrote:

My nephew is 14 and living in another state who wants to build his
own computer.

I sent following YouTube videos for him to watch and learn how to do it.

Build a PC - Step-by-step
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q

Beginners Guide - Build a PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVmcD8v3vR4

How To Build a $500 Gaming PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFyhn6seoow

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he can do homework,
learn new topics etc.

Would the following parts be compatible to buy, assemble?

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...dp/B0785GRMPG/

I like that case, made me one ten years ago that draws filtered air in
via the raised bottom and 3 4" silent fans with all other fans
reversed if required. Has been working very well with cpu never above
47c.Â* I have another idea now but before that I might just get me one
of those cases from amazon!

Would the single fan in this
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...dp/B0785GRMPG/
be enough for cooling?

Cooling always depends on ambient conditions and cpu and cards and such.
The fact that it's a best seller on amazon would I think speak well for
it under average or better conditions, power supplies, CPU's, some video
cards and drive racks have their own fans in addition. I would have no
problem ordering it. For a beginner who isn't going to jump right into
hacking and cannibalising hardware it's plenty good enough

--
War, is the school of peace

Old August 30th 20, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 2020-08-27 00:37, s wrote:

[...]

Thank you! I appreciate the prompt clarification.