AIW 9600 - Sound Problem

Old December 8th 04, 10:07 PM
Doug Miannay

Default AIW 9600 - Sound Problem

A friend has been struggling to understand why he doesn't get the sound when
trying to capture video from an analog video camera. I went by last night
to help him troubleshoot and discovered there's not a cable from the AIW
card's "audio out" connector (I believe it's labeled JP3) to the
motherboard. I would think a cable is needed here to conduct the audio
signal coming in from the video camera to the PC motherboard during capture.
If this is a correct assumption on my part then why didn't ATI include a
cable in the box? The JP3 connector is also an odd size and doesn't take
the "standard" type CD audio connector either.

The questions... does this cable need to be installed to get the audio
coming in through the AIW card during capture? Also, if the cable is
needed, where do I find one?

Thanks!

Doug
Woodstock, GA

Old December 8th 04, 11:09 PM
T Shadow

"Doug Miannay" wrote in message
[...]

You can run the external line out on the 9600 to the external line in on the
sound card. Just plug it in. The initialization wizzard asks if its
connected. I don't think I got the internal cable with my AIW9600XT. One
came with my AIW128PRO. The local Staples didn't have one. Now that you've
reminded me I'll check at CompUSA tommorow. I like leaving the line in on
the sound card open.

Make sure you have the sound card recording from the port the audio is
coming in on. Usually line in or aux.
HTH

Old December 9th 04, 12:25 AM
Doug Miannay

Thanks, T Shadow, for the response!

The PC has on-board sound (no PCI card) so I'd have to run a cable from the
9600 to the "Aux In" connector on the motherboard. Problem is the male
"Audio Out" connector on the 9600 is an odd size and clearly different from
the femaile connector that plugs into the motherboard. I'll obviously need
a cable with two different connectors to make this work.

I look forward to hearing back from you after your visit to CompUSA on
Thursday!

Thanks again!

Doug

Old December 9th 04, 10:16 AM
Matt Ion

Doug Miannay wrote:

A friend has been struggling to understand why he doesn't get the sound when
trying to capture video from an analog video camera. I went by last night
to help him troubleshoot and discovered there's not a cable from the AIW
card's "audio out" connector (I believe it's labeled JP3) to the
motherboard. I would think a cable is needed here to conduct the audio
signal coming in from the video camera to the PC motherboard during capture.
If this is a correct assumption on my part then why didn't ATI include a
cable in the box? The JP3 connector is also an odd size and doesn't take
the "standard" type CD audio connector either.

The questions... does this cable need to be installed to get the audio
coming in through the AIW card during capture? Also, if the cable is
needed, where do I find one?

Doesn't the onboard sound have rear-panel connectors (typically at the
very bottom of the ATX connector panel)? Run the camera audio directly
into the line input.

ATI supplies a cable to let you plug into a standard audio-in jack that
99.999% of PCs with either onboard sound or internal sound card will
have - anything more esoteric than that and you're typically on your
own. They can't be expected to forsee every possible hardware variation
and provide for all of them.
Old December 9th 04, 11:27 AM
Doug Miannay

Matt,

Thanks for your comments. I understand and agree with your statement about
ATI not being able to forsee all possible combinations but the odd connector
that we don't have a cable for is the on on their card. It would seem
logical that they would supply a cable with their card that has the proper
connector to fit into their card's "audio out" connector.

What am I missing here?

Doug

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
newsCVtd.469201$%k.194955@pd7tw2no...

Old December 9th 04, 03:32 PM
Jack

I've got an AIW 9600, and onboard sound. No cable is necessary from JP3 to
the motherboard.
Is he using the "input adapter" with the audio cables connected to it?
Does he have the jack from the "output adapter" plugged into the "line in"
on the computer?
Jack

Old December 11th 04, 03:44 AM
T Shadow

"T Shadow" wrote in message
[...]

The only ready made cable I could find is on the ATI website. $10+shipping.
Ridiculess. CompUSA didn't have the cable but they do have a CD-ROM audio
kit that has the connector for $4. Just a matter of cut and splicing the
proper connectors together. I found that I already have the connector on a
cable I'm not using. Forgot, CompUSA also had an MPC-II cable ready made
with several connectors( including the correct ones) but its $30. Ouch!
Good Luck

Old December 11th 04, 05:28 PM
Doug Miannay

Thanks for your efforts T Shadow!

You will see a response by "Jack" in this thread that implies you don't need
to attach a cable to JP3. Instead he just connects the video camera audio
out cable to the sound card audio in jack and it works fine for him.

Problem here is that the camera has one of those single cable connector
plugs the attaches to the camera's single output port and then divides into
a single video RCA jack and a single audio RCA jack. When both RCA jacks
are connected to the ATI adapter cable we get no sound. Maybe if I connect
the camera video out RCA jack to the ATI adapter and the camera audio out
RCA jack to the sound card audio in connector it will work. I'll have to
give it a try.

Doug

Old December 11th 04, 06:29 PM
T Shadow

"T Shadow" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe you missed this on my first post.
You can run the external line out on the 9600 to the external line in on

the
sound card. Just plug it in.

Look in the bundle of wires that comes out with the VGA(monitor) connectors
You will find a black phone plug. You can plug this into the sound cards
line-in. Nothing to buy. I assumed you didn't want to use it.

All you need to do it Jacks way is a phono to phone converter or cable.

Old December 15th 04, 06:16 PM
Matt Ion

Doug Miannay wrote:

Matt,

Thanks for your comments. I understand and agree with your statement about
ATI not being able to forsee all possible combinations but the odd connector
that we don't have a cable for is the on on their card. It would seem
logical that they would supply a cable with their card that has the proper
connector to fit into their card's "audio out" connector.

What am I missing here?

Two possible reasons: one, the other end of that wire could be one of at
least three or four different connectors (although it's 98% likely to be
a standard internal CD-ROM audio connector); two, 98% of people are just
going to use the external 1/8" TRS cable loopback-to-audio-in-jack
anyway, preferring not to mess with their machine's internals.

Radeon 9600 XT problem with DVI output Mehmet Boyaci Asus Motherboards 10 May 19th 04 06:50 PM
Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
A7N8X sound problem Beemer Biker Asus Motherboards 1 November 12th 03 08:47 PM
sound card problem Andrew Asus Motherboards 1 October 28th 03 02:39 PM
Direct 3D Problem: ATI Radeon 9600 / Aopen ax4spe motherboard M.D. Ati Videocards 3 October 20th 03 03:19 PM