Canon iP4820 Printer Scuff Marks CDRs

Old November 12th 12, 02:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Vanity F

Default Canon iP4820 Printer Scuff Marks CDRs

My Canon iP4820 printer leaves 5 distinctive roller scuff mark lines on
CDRs that I print. This is the first time I've used this printer for CDs.
My previous printer, an iP4500, never left any marks. How can this be with
a newer model printer like this???
Old November 12th 12, 07:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_3_]

Vanity F writes:

My Canon iP4820 printer leaves 5 distinctive roller scuff mark lines on
CDRs that I print. This is the first time I've used this printer for CDs.
My previous printer, an iP4500, never left any marks. How can this be with
a newer model printer like this???

There is always the chance that it is a problem with the printer, so
contacting Canon would be a good idea I think.

However, depending on the use you have already put the printer
through, there are some things to consider:

1) are the rollers clean? Try some roller cleaning (you can buy sticky
paper [one side] and use that with the roller cleaning function to
try and remove excess ink or other gunk from the rollers).

2) is the CD media you are using intended for inkjets? If it is not
strictly compatible with inkjets, or not the Canon-recommended
type, that may be an issue.

3) is the ink you are using Canon or Canon-compatible ink. Drying time
and adhesion might be an issue.

4) is there a chance to set the drying time of the ink, or the density
of the printing, in the functions of the printer? You could try to
adjust to less coverage, or longer drying time.

--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Old November 15th 12, 10:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Vanity F

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote in
:

Vanity F writes:

My Canon iP4820 printer leaves 5 distinctive roller scuff mark lines
on CDRs that I print. This is the first time I've used this printer
for CDs. My previous printer, an iP4500, never left any marks. How
can this be with a newer model printer like this???

There is always the chance that it is a problem with the printer, so
contacting Canon would be a good idea I think.

However, depending on the use you have already put the printer
through, there are some things to consider:

1) are the rollers clean? Try some roller cleaning (you can buy sticky
paper [one side] and use that with the roller cleaning function to
try and remove excess ink or other gunk from the rollers).

Rollers must be clean, it's the first time I've used this printer to
print on blank CD-Rs.

2) is the CD media you are using intended for inkjets? If it is not
strictly compatible with inkjets, or not the Canon-recommended
type, that may be an issue.

Oh, yes, it's the good stuff - blank Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, used on my
previous model Canon 4500 with super results.

3) is the ink you are using Canon or Canon-compatible ink. Drying time
and adhesion might be an issue.

It's genuine Canon ink right now since it's the original cartridge set
in the printer. But normally I use compatibles because of the ridiculous
(unaffordable) price difference.

4) is there a chance to set the drying time of the ink, or the density
of the printing, in the functions of the printer? You could try to
adjust to less coverage, or longer drying time.

Shouldn't have to as I've successfully used Canon printers with default
settings. The scuff marks I mentioned are even on the unprinted glossy
surface of the CD-Rs. They look like someone ran an eraser in like 5
places over the disc. I've never seen this on any previous Canon printer.
I will see what happens the next time I print a CD-R.

Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated.

Old November 16th 12, 02:27 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_3_]

Vanity F writes:

My Canon iP4820 printer leaves 5 distinctive roller scuff mark lines
on CDRs that I print. This is the first time I've used this printer
for CDs. My previous printer, an iP4500, never left any marks. How
can this be with a newer model printer like this???

/../

Thanks for going to the trouble of answering the checklist!

I really think you should report this to Canon---it could be they set
something incorrectly in the mechanism. I also have a iP4500 and I
agree, with that I get super results also (I only use it for stuff
that needs to be super). For the rest, I use the MP450 which has
outlasted a host of other newer Canon devices.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug