Win 8 Driver for HP M1005

Old October 29th 12, 06:39 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
hel

Default Win 8 Driver for HP M1005

I am upgrading to Win 8 but until now I could not find a suitable
drive for HP M1005.

Anyone has had the same problem and found a solution.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Helmut
Old October 29th 12, 12:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "hel"

I am upgrading to Win 8 but until now I could not find a suitable
drive for HP M1005.

Anyone has had the same problem and found a solution.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Helmut

Have you tried Win7 drivers ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
Old October 30th 12, 01:45 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
hel

Thank you David and Frank for your reply!

I have tried the WIN 7 driver but without a result..

Helmut

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:33:07 -0400, "David H. Lipman"

Old October 30th 12, 09:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
hel

Thank you Charlie for your reply.

What you suggested is exactly what I was thinking after running in to
more and never ending problems.

Helmut

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 07:08:51 +0000, Charlie+ wrote:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 17:39:16 +1100, hel wrote
as underneath:

I am upgrading to Win 8 but until now I could not find a suitable
drive for HP M1005.

Anyone has had the same problem and found a solution.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

No full depth upgrade drivers will be available from HP, Canon or anyone
else - it is the policy of mfg of cheap hardware not to provide them -
upgrading OS is the easy and cheap bit, dont do it if you dont have to.
Getting new software and hardware to get everything working as before is
the expensive and time consuming part. Here still using XP until
something breaks and forces change.

Old October 31st 12, 01:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_3_]

hel writes:

Thank you Charlie for your reply.

What you suggested is exactly what I was thinking after running in to
more and never ending problems.

Helmut

Ongoing hardware support is never an easy step :-(

One solution you might try to look into is to use a different, older,
computer as a print server. For linux, HP generally has something
approaching good support for many printers (whether the HP software
has desirable consequences as far as intrusiveness is concerned is
a separate issue), and the same goes for many other brands:

Setting up a CUPS (common UNIX printing system) server on an older
machine running some version of linux should be enough to keep
printers supported which no longer have drivers for Windows versions
you might be running.

The printers can then be network-shared (by CUPS) and seen from the
Windows machine(s).

I should add that older devices will be supported on linux forever,
and drivers continually improved as development continues.

Old October 31st 12, 07:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_3_]

Gernot Hassenpflug writes:

hel writes:

[...]

I forgot to add:

There is the little complication that HP makes several printers that
do not actually meet the USB specification, and only work with HP's
own software (which nevertheless should be available for linux).

Canon also has a series of photo-printers (SELPHY ES and CP series)
which do not meet the USB specifications, and which need an
intelligent spooler to work properly. This spooler is under
development (I posted in this group earlier this week soliciting USB
information about these devices to help support them---since they need
to be identified by their USB PID).
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Old October 31st 12, 09:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
hel

Thank you Gernot for your help and I have some old Pentium 3 and 4 in
my store which I could use as per your advice.

Should be fun to do it and I will inform you about the outcome.

Helmut

P.S. At my need me some time as, like everyone else, I am too busy
before Christmas and my holiday is coming up as well.

On 31 Oct 2012 16:06:59 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug