PowerSupply

Old August 11th 05, 06:30 PM
Martin Racette

Default PowerSupply

Hi,

Can anyone tell what is the difference between a 20 pin and a 24 pin connector,
I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and my current powersupply is a 20, and
when I plug it the motherboard does boot and work

So why should I get a 24 pin powersupply ?
--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin

Old August 11th 05, 07:50 PM
Bob Day

"Martin Racette" wrote in message .. .
Hi,

Can anyone tell what is the difference between a 20 pin and a 24 pin connector,
I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and my current powersupply is a 20, and
when I plug it the motherboard does boot and work

So why should I get a 24 pin powersupply ?

Because that's what your motherboard is spec'ed for.
You could get an adapter cable. For example:

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com
Old August 11th 05, 08:26 PM
ric

.. .

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/support/docs/T51ATX.htm
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/support/docs/T51SLI.htm

I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and my current powersupply is a 20,
and when I plug it the motherboard does boot and work

So why should I get a 24 pin powersupply ?

Because it provides the correct amount of current carrying wires
for your MB?

Old August 11th 05, 10:00 PM
kony

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:30:56 -0400, "Martin Racette"
wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell what is the difference between a 20 pin and a 24 pin connector,
I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and my current powersupply is a 20, and
when I plug it the motherboard does boot and work

So why should I get a 24 pin powersupply ?

The motherboards are deliberately set up to be able to still
use 20 pin supply, since many parts combinations do not
require enough current to need the additional 4 wires.

The main issue is then how good the power supply is
(entirely separate issue than whether 20 or 24 pin) and what
the expected system load is. Various online power
calculators (Google for them) should provide an estimate of
amperage per each voltage rail.

You can also take voltage readings at the board connector
(while plugged in, running at full load) to determine if
there is a problem, as well as feeling the wires for
overheating.
Old August 13th 05, 06:20 AM
jim dorey

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:30:56 -0300, Martin Racette
wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell what is the difference between a 20 pin and a 24 pin
connector,
I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and my current powersupply is a
20, and
when I plug it the motherboard does boot and work

So why should I get a 24 pin powersupply ?

some supplies come with a connector that just has the extras snap off, but
then you get that dangling useless 4 pin connector that wastes so much
space.

PowerSupply Martin Racette General 4 August 13th 05 06:20 AM
powersupply size for AMD 3500+ ? Wayne Fulton General 31 December 9th 04 04:37 AM
Dell PC Powersupply nonstandard problems S.Lewis Dell Computers 2 April 24th 04 11:38 PM
hard disk apparently stops powersupply working -keevill- Homebuilt PC's 7 November 11th 03 02:45 AM
Powersupply for Powercolor Radeon 9800 pro 256mb. How big ? Pendragon Ati Videocards 8 September 2nd 03 05:36 PM