Tutorial for how to wirelessly print from Linux (Centos6) to aWindows XP USB printer

Old November 8th 12, 06:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless
Ann R.

Default Tutorial for how to wirelessly print from Linux (Centos6) to aWindows XP USB printer

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 15:59:51 -0200, Shadow replied:

This will probably help:
OpenPrinting
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...s/openprinting

That is a nice reference, along with this other suggested reference:

Connecting CentOS to a Windows Printer
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/conne...ter-40725.html

I'm reading them as we speak.
Old November 8th 12, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,alt.internet.wireless,comp.periphs.printers
Spamblk

"Ann R." wrote in
:

I wonder: Since what I want appears to be the most basic home network
printing need, is there a good step-by-step tutorial already out there
that you may know of that goes from Linux to Windows using cups & samba?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUPS
http://ubuntu.paslah.com/remote-printers/
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-print-to-prin
ter-on-remote-xp-box-on-network-337505/

Old November 10th 12, 05:44 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,comp.periphs.printers,alt.internet.wireless
Ann R.

I was able to print!

In the end, it was easy - once I knew how!

1. On Windows XP HOME, you have to set up file & printer sharing & share
the printer making note of the machine name, the workgroup (whatever that
is), and the printer name.

2. On Centos 6, you must open up the firewall to Samba traffic.
System Administration Firewall & open up [x]Samba & [x]Samba Client

3. On Centos 6, you then create a new printer.
System Administration Printing and selected Server New Printer

4. Then you select your Windows printer on the network:
Devices Network Printer Windows Printer via SAMBA Browse...
(at this point you select the printer which fills out the URL below)
smb://workgroupname/winxppcname/printername

5. Now add the driver on Centos for that type of printer:
Choose Driver printer_brand printer_model driver_type

6. Print a test page and make the new printer the default printer by
right clicking on the printer in the Samba SMB browser.

Voila!

Old November 10th 12, 12:53 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,comp.periphs.printers
Shadow[_2_]

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 05:44:26 +0000 (UTC), "Ann R."
wrote:

[...]

Gratz, and thanks for the feedback. I had trouble with my
printer model, it was unlisted, but I found it on that site I posted
earlier, um, lemme see

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...s/openprinting
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old November 11th 12, 06:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ann R.

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 09:55:03 -0500, Mark Warner replied:

Just like with Windows, doing things in Linux is easy and intuitive once
you've been through it once.

The thing I had not expected was that I didn't ever mess with CUPS or
with SAMBA per se.

I mean, all I did with CUPS was verify that it was installed.
Likewise, I didn't overtly touch any of the SAMBA configuration files.

On Centos, all I did with Samba was open up the default firewall to it:
System Administration Firewall
[x]Samba
[x]Samba Client

And, the only other thing I did was run these commands:
1. System Administration Printing
a. Up came "Printer configuration - localhost", showing local printers.
2. Server New Printer
b. Up came the "New Printer" "Select Device" "Enter Device URI" GUI.
3. Devices Network Printer Windows Printer via SAMBA Browse...
c. Up came the "SMB Browser" where I could see all the Windows printers
4. Clicking on the desired Windows printer filled out this URI
d. smb://Workgroup/Windows_PC_name/Printer_connected_to_Windows_PC
5. Up came the "Change Driver" form where it asked to "Choose Driver"
e. Choose Driver printer_brand printer_model driver_type
6. The option I chose was "(o) Select Printer From Database"
7. And then I searched for my manufacturer, make, and model in the list.
f. There were 9 (confusing) choices, so I simply took the first one
8. And then I printed a test page over the network - which worked fine!

If that Linux network-printer setup process actually edited the smb.conf
file or the cups.conf file, it was transparent to me, the user.