Is there such a thing as a PCMCIA RAM card?

Old August 16th 03, 07:47 PM
Me

Default Is there such a thing as a PCMCIA RAM card?

I believe PCMCIA is a memory bus that has been hacked to do other things.
One big problem, though.
Back in 1992, when the slot came out, the memory bus was 16 bits wide, just
like PCMCIA. Now it's more like 64 bits wide.

--
I believe in having an open mind,
but not so open that my brains fall out.

Old August 17th 03, 01:10 AM
MrFlash

I've seen 5G HDrives on a pcmicia card, believe it or not, but havent really
seen RAM yet (which makes much more sense to have in a card than HD's, come
to think of it).

wrote in message
Is there such a thing as a PCMCIA RAM card? I know once upon a time, back
in Apple II days, you could put RAM on a card and get more that way.
Granted, the PCMCIA thing would be half system bus speed, but it would
likely be much faster than the damn swap file on the HDD, no?

Old August 19th 03, 12:46 AM
Me

It would me much less than half the speed. Try a hundred times slower then
you get the idea why no one makes them anymore.

Old August 19th 03, 04:44 AM
Barry Watzman

Yes, they used to exist, but they no longer do, at least not commonly.
Toshiba and IBM both used them in 386/486 days. But the problem is that
a PC Card (the correct term, you should stop using "PCMCIA") is either
an ISA card, or if it's a "Cardbus" card, it's a PCI card. And both are
too slow for main memory in a modern computer.

lid wrote:

Is there such a thing as a PCMCIA RAM card? I know once upon a time, back
in Apple II days, you could put RAM on a card and get more that way.
Granted, the PCMCIA thing would be half system bus speed, but it would
likely be much faster than the damn swap file on the HDD, no?
For email response, or CC, please .
Yeah, it's really a real address
.................................................. ............................
!!! POSTED @ News Paladin !!!
Private and Anonymous!
VERY FAST- NO DOWNLOAD LIMITS
Try us for FREE at
www.newspaladin.com
.................................................. ............................

Old August 21st 03, 07:19 PM
Barry Watzman

The correct terminology is "PC Card", for ALL "PC Cards", both 16-bit
(which have no special name) and 32-Bit (which are "Cardbus" cards).

PCMCIA is the name of the organization that originally developed the
standard back in the 1990's. They begain trying to get people to stop
using the name "PCMCIA" to refer to the cards (EITHER the 16-bit or the
32-bit cards) back around 1995. You can verify at their website
(www.pcmcia.org) that in their veiw, "PCMCIA" should no longer be used
to refer to any "PC Cards", regardless of bus width. It's the name of
the organization, not the cards.

Crispin Bishop wrote:

ER, No it isnt!!

A PC Cardbus card (formerly called PCMCIA) is NOT a PCI Card or ISA Card.

the PC card originally refered to is a Type I or Type II CardBus card which
are usually found on Notebook PC's.
Normally with two slots, on the left of the notebook, and are used for
things like NIC's, wireless network cards, Bluetooth, USB2 & firewire cards
etc etc

A Cardbus card is DEFINATELY not a PCI card

PCMCIA actually stands for Personal Computer Memory Card International
Association and at first they were used for memory expansion. Back in the
day, my brand new amiga 600 had one and 1MB & 2MB memory expasions were
available.

Sadly though they are not used for memory expansion anymore due to Bus
speeds and the fact that memory is very cheap at the moment so it would not
be cost effective to use for memory expansion as replacing the notebooks
system ram with larger "sticks" is so cheap. (And don't tell me that you
can't do this, I build & repair notebooks as part of my job!!)
. ..

_______________________________________________ ______
For email response, or CC, please .
Yeah, it's really a real address

.................................................. ..........................
..

Try us for FREE at www.newspaladin.com

.................................................. ..........................
..

Old November 10th 03, 04:03 AM
Phrederik

snip
The question is, how do I ad more RAM than the laptop originally supported
as max.?

snip

You buy a new laptop.

USB 1.1 card for old Laptop and W95? Cari General 0 August 11th 03 06:49 PM
Replacing AGP card prevents boot Vanguard General 0 August 10th 03 01:52 AM
newbie: TV card Groove General 3 July 29th 03 10:58 PM
pcmcia card not being recognized ChrisJ9876 General 1 July 3rd 03 03:00 PM
Help with WinFast TV 2000 XP Tuner Card Joshua Klehm General 1 June 24th 03 10:52 PM