On thing about home network

Old July 29th 03, 05:03 PM
SleeperMan

Default On thing about home network

I finally came to the point when i'll need to connect two computers and ADSL
modem together. I'll drag the cable this week - about 20 meters. Now,
correct me if i'm wrong: if i unerstand correct, i must have a hub or router
(which is better?) and NORMAL cables, not crossed! Now i just connect two
computers AND ADSL modem to this hub or router (so i need hub with 3 ports).
All with normal cables. Then i just do software stuff, like IP's etc... and
of course set internet. Can anyone tell me, to get internet, i set up new
connection, what do i choose then? normally now i choose PPPoE type . Do i
choose LAN now? i guess i can set up network by clicking set up home network
in Network connections window?

And i guess if i set up sharing, i'm more vulnerable to Internet, right? I
do have firewall( Norton), i guess i must have it on both machines?

I have Win XP Pro.

Oh...thanks!

Old July 29th 03, 05:57 PM
Art Leonard

Lo, IMO the easiest way to go is to use a router and let it assign your
ip addresses for your lan. It can also do the PPOE connection for you so you
would not require the software to be resident on you machines. (Depending on
what kind of modem you have it might be the device to handle the PPOE
connection for you.)

The router will have the built in switches for your LAN connections.
Switches are faster than hubs. You would use straight through patch cables
not cross overs. If you connect all computers to the router your connections
will all be selected as LAN. If you are going to use sharing it is advised
that you use NetBEUI protocol with strong passwords for your lan. I
understand that using NetBEUI with XP is somewhat tricky and will take some
research on your part to get it going. One bit of advice I can offer from
experience is to turn off the firewalls while getting your lan working.

Regarding your second post: You can go with 2 nics to gain
connectivity..... but it is tricky and frustrating to set up, and the
machine with 2 nics must be on all the time to provide the internet services
to the others on the lan. With a router that is not the case.

Here's a couple of links that might help:

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/HomeNet-start.asp

http://forums.speedguide.net/forumdi...?s=&forumid=48

http://grc.com/su-explain.htm

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sharing

Old July 29th 03, 06:16 PM
SleeperMan

[...]

Thank you for this detailed info. I did some research and as i see there are
(among others) two devices from LEvel one: a switch and a hub. A hub is much
cheaper, though. Now, since i have ADSL with 1Mbit speed (i might go to
2Mbit, but this is max) and i probably don't intend to use file sharing, do
you still suggest switch? And if i want to use gaming and let's say printer
through this local LAN, i guess i must enable file sharing ?
I'll look into those links you gave me, too.

Old July 29th 03, 07:29 PM
SleeperMan

I kind of read those links and i must say i'm a bit confused, so if you
don't mind a few questions:

You said use strong password. Where do i enter this password?

IN properties of my LAN card i have among others File and printer sharing
for MS networks, then Client for MS networks, Qos Packer scheduler, then Net
BEUI nad Intertnet protocol TCP/IP. Should i UNcheck first two if i'm to use
NEtBEUI file sharing? Will i be aable to share printer in that case?

Old July 29th 03, 09:40 PM
SleeperMan

you can use a Router or a SWITCH HUB for your ADSL. A Switch Hub
will let both computers go online at the same-time just by plugging
it in to the adsl box and setting up the user name and passwork on
both winxp computers. A Router, all you have to do is plug you dsl
to you router and program it. It remembers the IP address from your
dsl. Once all other computers r plugged up to the router, setup you
ie using lan settings, auto detect ip address and finish, OR just use
the setup wizard.

To see both computers, make sure your on the same workgroup, and r
using standard network cable, patch cable, cat5...not Xover cable
(cross-over)

Thats it.....

I did some reading now and all are saying about danger of shared files,
supposely they are visible to anyone ...if i decide to share only printer
and not any files, i bet this changes all? OR not?

I do understand the difference between switch and hub( i hope), but can you
briefly explain the difference in router?

Old July 30th 03, 12:01 AM
Art Leonard

Hello,

SleeperMan" wrote in message

Thank you for this detailed info. I did some research and as I see there

are
(among others) two devices from LEvel one: a switch and a hub. A hub is

much
cheaper, though. Now, since i have ADSL with 1Mbit speed (i might go to
2Mbit, but this is max) and i probably don't intend to use file sharing,

do
you still suggest switch?

Yes, I think a router with switches will make your life much easier. I
see new routers in the $20 range in the weekly ads. Maybe you could get a
used one cheaper.

and if i want to use gaming and let's say printer
through this local LAN, i guess i must enable file sharing ?

yes, the printer is handled under the file sharing client.

I'll look into those links you gave me, too.

Good Luck
Art Leonard

" wrote:
Lo, IMO the easiest way to go is to use a router

snip

Old July 30th 03, 12:09 AM
Art Leonard

Hello,

"SleeperMan" wrote in message
news
I kind of read those links and i must say i'm a bit confused, so if you
don't mind a few questions:

You said use strong password. Where do i enter this password?

When you share a resource on a computer you will get the opportunity to
input a password. Pick a good one with alpha and numeric characters that
can't be guessed.

IN properties of my LAN card i have among others File and printer sharing
for MS networks, then Client for MS networks, Qos Packer scheduler, then

Net
BEUI nad Intertnet protocol TCP/IP. Should i UNcheck first two if i'm to

use
NEtBEUI file sharing? Will i be aable to share printer in that case?

You will need to unbind tcpip from your sharing and use netbui only for
sharing. Here's the link for directions.

http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm

Good Luck
Art Leonard

Power problems on Dell thing Zilog Jones General 8 July 23rd 03 06:16 PM
3COM Home Ethernet Gateway 3C510 help needed EudoraUser1996 General 0 July 21st 03 03:43 AM
Wireless network ={ Advocated }= General 1 July 9th 03 04:32 PM
Network PC & Mac Nick General 1 July 8th 03 11:38 PM
Extra Connector on Network Adapter Roby General 3 June 28th 03 11:57 PM