Installing Win 10 on old iron

Old May 21st 17, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter Köhlmann[_3_]

Default Installing Win 10 on old iron

Good Guy wrote:

On 21/05/2017 18:08, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
IQ in windows groups would soar about 10% immediately

The easiest way to increase the IQ in Windows 10 NG is by moving all
nutters to Linux newsgroup. That is what I am doing.

Is it OK with you?

Is it OK by you when linux uses simply retaliate and flood windows groups
with hundreds of messages every hour? How about telling them it is because
of you and your idiocy? alt.os.linux is *not* a advocacy group where your
inexcuseable behaviour /might/ be tolerated. You are aware that it is easy
to hide behind a anonymous news service like you do and then start scripts
which run fully automated? Would you like to be shown what kind of cretin
you are hundreds of times every day to your windows using pals? Just tell
us. And then leave forever.
Old May 21st 17, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.linux
Good Guy

On 21/05/2017 18:27, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Is it OK by you when linux uses simply retaliate and flood windows groups
with hundreds of messages every hour?

It is always OK we us in Windows NG because we have what is called
Kill-Switch. I guess Linux users don't have this so the best thing is
to shut up or don't bother to come to these newsgroups.

Do let us know if you need 101 lessons in how to implement the
kill-switch on your crappy system.

--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Old May 21st 17, 07:30 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.linux
Peter Köhlmann[_3_]

Good Guy wrote:

On 21/05/2017 18:27, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Is it OK by you when linux uses simply retaliate and flood windows groups
with hundreds of messages every hour?

It is always OK we us in Windows NG because we have what is called
Kill-Switch. I guess Linux users don't have this so the best thing is
to shut up or don't bother to come to these newsgroups.

Do let us know if you need 101 lessons in how to implement the
kill-switch on your crappy system.

Idiot. You would have to use your bull**** "kill-switch" (as if that is
something special to windows) the same amount of posts, because the "poster"
would be different each time. Your group of imbeciles would be unuseable in
very short time

Would you like that, you idiot? Just ask, you might be given

Old May 21st 17, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
J.O. Aho

On 05/21/17 18:42, Good Guy wrote:
On 21/05/2017 15:45, Jerry Phillips wrote:
Will Windows 10 install on a LGA775 / Core2 Quad Q6600 w/8GB
ram platform?

Is there a list of Windows 10 supported (legacy) CPUs
anyplace on the web?

thank you...

just try it. It is silly to ask such questions here when Google has all
the answers for people like you.

Good point to ask, as microsoft do not provide good information and not
all hardware combination has been tested, you never know as microsoft do
not support as much hardware as Linux does.
Old May 21st 17, 07:59 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

On 05/21/2017 11:12 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Will Windows 10 install on a [...] Q6600

Seems to have NX, SSE2 and PAE, so it should pass the processor
requirements

I've recently upgraded quite a few older machines to Win10 with no problems.

Some of the machines were as old as 2005 or so
Old May 21st 17, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Good Guy

On 21/05/2017 19:30, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

Would you like that, you idiot? Just ask, you might be given

You are a very angry man. Are you also suffering from serious heart
problems? Let me know so that we can relieve your suffering by making
sure you are no longer on this planet!!

Kill-Switch is there for people to use it as many times as needed.
Don't worry if people are changing their nyms because if you have any
intelligence as you seem to suggest, you would make sure it is used if
it is still available in LinJunk.

GO USE IT AND LET US KNOW. There is no need to be angry because your
heart defect might give you an attack and you won't know a thing about
how wonderful Windows 10 is.

--

With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Old May 21st 17, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Jerry Phillips wrote:

Will Windows 10 install on a LGA775 / Core2 Quad Q6600 w/8GB
ram platform?

Is there a list of Windows 10 supported (legacy) CPUs
anyplace on the web?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications

The GWX (Get Windows 10) "update" that everyone under Windows 7/8
despised in trying to push them to upgrade (and even tools were made to
block it) would detect if your hardware was Windows 10 compatible. Be
damn sure to save an image backup before using GWX. Don't rely on it
uninstalling itself. One of its nasty behaviors is to download Windows
10 in preparation for installation. That's not likely erased upon an
uninstall of GWX.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-yo...r-to-find-out/
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/che...ns-windows-10/

So what does your mobo's firmware support? Is is old MBR (Master Boot
Record) or the new UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)? You
cannot install Win 10 on UEFI firmware with secured boot enabled and CSM
disabled
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifie..._Interface#CSM)
if the disk is MBR. The disk has to be GPT which is supported by UEFI,
not MBR. Without CSM, you cannot use UEFI to boot into emulated MBR
mode. With UEFI firmware, you'll either want to disable secured boot
and enable CSM or you'll want to convert your MBR drive to a GPT one.
Normally conversion from MBR to GPT incurs data loss because the old MBR
partitions have to be deleted before creating new GPT partitions. I've
heard some 3rd party tools can do the conversion without data loss
(e.g., Easeus Partition Master Free) but you should still do a file
backup. UEFI secure boot was a protection mechanism to ensure only
signed drivers or operating systems got loaded, not some rogueware or
malware on boot; however, there is firmware in UEFI that has been shown
vulnerable.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29480...einstalls.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/31872...ansomware.html
http://media.kaspersky.com/en/busine...ts_to_UEFI.pdf

For Windows 10, the CPU must support PAE, NX, and SSE2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physic...ress_Extension
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2
While hyperthreading support within the CPU is desirable, it is not
required (Microsoft removed that requirement during preview testing).
You can run tools, like Piriform's Speccy, to determine if your CPU has
the required functions. Microsoft has their own CPU ID tool at
http://tinyurl.com/m3q7ayq. I have the *Intel Core 2 Quad Q9440*, same
as yours but with a higher clock (fastest the mobo will support, and I
do not overclock) and all the above functions are listed as supported
except hyperthreading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

Speccy also says my CPU supports hardware-assisted virtualization (VT
mode) but it is disabled. For verification, I went to:

http://ark.intel.com/products/family...essor#@Desktop

and clicked on the link for the specs on my CPU. Yep, it has VT mode
available. Alas, my ancient MBR BIOS won't let me use it (but I'm not
sure that I would want to).

Some info on VT mode in the Intel CPUs:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/every...on-technology/

The BIOS/mobo/CPU setup that I have won't let me enable VT mode in the
CPU. While this was considered a gamer's box back in its heyday, it is
a pre-built Acer with few user-configurable settings in the BIOS (and I
have the latest BIOS version that they offer). There is no setting to
enable VT mode. Apparently the mobo was older than the CPU. It was a
non-working box that I salvaged for free and repaired. Although I
cannot use VT mode in the hardware, I thought VMWare Player and
Virtualbox could assign or set affinity to a physical core in the CPU to
a virtual machine (not the number of virtualized processors in the
virtual machine); that is, a virtual CPU (vCPU) maps to a physical core
(not to a CPU which can be multiple cores). I haven't yet looked at the
open source Xen project for VMs but that looks to be a hypervisor that
is the host OS, like Microsoft's Hyper-V, instead of a VMM (Virtual
Machine Monitor), like VMware Player and Virtualbox, that runs under a
host OS (e.g., Windows, Linux). VT mode is only usable if you have
programs that can actually use it; else, you don't lose anything with it
available but disabled. Also, CPUs with I/O MMU Virtualization allows
DMA (Direct Memory Access). An infected VM could attack other VMs,
memory in the host OS, and run code on the physical CPU. PCI
passthrough makes VMs less secure. In the past, some malware would
remain quiescent when they detected they were running inside a VM. By
looking benign, users might install the infected software in their host
OS. Now the malware can attack from inside a VM instead of waiting to
get out of the VM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_vi..._Intel_VT-d.29

Hardware-assisted virtualization is supposed to speed up the performance
of VMs (because of emulation the programs run slower on virtualized
hardware inside a VM) but at the expense of a [potentially] less secure
VM. VT mode doesn't always speed up performance; e.g., Virtualbox says
[or used to say] that enabling VT mode would slow performance in their
VMs.

Oh, and lastly but more pertinent to your inquiry, I grabbed a copy of
Windows 10 (did the upgrade) before the giveaway expired. That was so I
could get the license recorded in a Microsoft account to let me later
use it if I wanted to. I first saved a backup image of Windows 7. Then
I did a fresh install of Windows 7 (no updates) so the Windows 10
upgrade would be as close to a fresh install as possible. I saved a
backup image of the new Windows 10 install then restored back to the
image for my Windows 7 setup. I got no errors during the Windows 10
upgrade telling me there were problems with my hardware.
Old May 22nd 17, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris Ahlstrom[_2_]

Good Guy wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

Hasta la vista.

--
You attempt things that you do not even plan because of your extreme stupidity.
Old May 23rd 17, 09:29 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lucifer Morningstar

On Sun, 21 May 2017 14:45:19 +0000, Jerry Phillips
wrote:

Will Windows 10 install on a LGA775 / Core2 Quad Q6600 w/8GB
ram platform?

Windows 10 runs nicely on a 1.6 Ghz duel core Pentium with
only 1.0 GB RAM.

Is there a list of Windows 10 supported (legacy) CPUs
anyplace on the web?

On the Microsoft site.
Min 1 Ghz CPU.
Min 1 gig RAM.

thank you...

---

Old May 23rd 17, 09:42 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lucifer Morningstar

Mark Lloyd wrote:

Will Windows 10 install on a [...] Q6600

Seems to have NX, SSE2 and PAE, so it should pass the processor
requirements

I've recently upgraded quite a few older machines to Win10 with no problems.

Some of the machines were as old as 2005 or so

So my Acer One netbook which has an Atom CPU is unlikely to
run Windows 10?

---