HELP I need to delete Windows 7 64bit

Old August 16th 13, 09:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond[_3_]

Default HELP I need to delete Windows 7 64bit

Hi Guys. This might sound silly but I am a bit of a geek and have built and repared computers. I have a hard disl and windows is screwing up. It is the only parttion on it. I like to partiton a hard disk with a windows only partition but in this case I am stuffed.

I re-booted the PC with another disk and installed windows. This works fine..

I plugged in the SATA cable to the internal disk. Using MS DOS diskpart I made it inactive. As I am not booting of this internal disk, I tried to delete the windows partiton. It apears I need permission to perform this operation. This is a stand alone PC. I am the sole owner of it. Why do I need permission to delete a folder of another hard disk that is not active and I am not booting from it? HELP ME PLEASE (Desperate)

TIA

Desmond.
Old August 16th 13, 09:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Desmond wrote:
Hi Guys. This might sound silly but I am a bit of a geek and have built and repared computers. I have a hard disl and windows is screwing up. It is the only parttion on it. I like to partiton a hard disk with a windows only partition but in this case I am stuffed.

I re-booted the PC with another disk and installed windows. This works fine.

I plugged in the SATA cable to the internal disk. Using MS DOS diskpart I made it inactive. As I am not booting of this internal disk, I tried to delete the windows partiton. It apears I need permission to perform this operation. This is a stand alone PC. I am the sole owner of it. Why do I need permission to delete a folder of another hard disk that is not active and I am not booting from it? HELP ME PLEASE (Desperate)

TIA

Desmond.

Diskpart "clean", seems to remove MBR contents (no partition
table any more). So that would be a quick way to remove the
*entire* contents of a disk. Rather drastic though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...t-command.html

And that's not a "secure delete", merely the fastest way to
hide what was previously on there. Wouldn't take much in the
way of forensics to bring it all back (TestDisk).

*******

People first experience the problem with the Windows folder,
when deleting "Windows.old" on an repair/upgrade install. The
OS usually resists this, and it would be a permission problem.
(Disk Cleanup actually handles that case quite nicely. I was
just using that example as an illustration of a "pit full of
snakes" that you'd find inside a Windows folder. I think I tried
that once, manually, and met instant resistance :-) )

A solution for that is Take Ownership. Followed by "Full Control".

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-shortcut.html

(Ref: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...ownership.html )

But being a lazy guy, I just boot a Linux LiveCD or pen drive,
and permissions mean nothing from there. You can delete what
you want :-) You don't learn anything doing it that way though.

I guess you can see why I don't really need a Take Ownership
context menu entry :-) I'm that lazy.

Actually, there is some science to deleting, but it only becomes
necessary to use brain power, when deleting a lot of stuff. For
example, if you attempt to use the trash bin on WinXP, and throw
a million files in there, it'll lock up for sure. If you use
command prompt, and say "del filename", that seems to execute
pretty fast (compared to any Trash bin shenanigans). So there
will be occasions, when you need to know the absolutely best
way to delete something, that runs as fast as possible. On WinXP,
I'd be just as likely to "format" a partition, as to try to erase
a major folder, due to how crappy the Explorer implementation is.
And that's still going to be true of the other OSes. Typically,
an OS is not allowed to "optimize" file operations - even though
as users, we could say ("just rewrite the entire $MFT and remove
all the references to those million files in one shot"), such a
jumping to conclusions is not allowed in the file system business.
It's "one at a time, for safety". And that sucks.

Paul
Old August 16th 13, 02:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond[_3_]

Actualy no. Ibuilt my first computer Nascom in 1974. I do know about Diskpart. It does not remove every thing. The contents are still there and readable. As for

Windows.old I have not made that silly mistake.

/*
And that's not a "secure delete", merely the fastest way to
hide what was previously on there. Wouldn't take much in the
way of forensics to bring it all back (TestDisk).
*/

I am not interested in forensics just the ability to remove the replacment HDD (I will switch of the PC first unless sombody coments on this) and with the aid of a windows DVD or bootable USB be able to install Windows 7 fresh.

Old August 16th 13, 07:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Desmond wrote:
Actualy no. Ibuilt my first computer Nascom in 1974. I do know about Diskpart. It does not remove every thing. The contents are still there and readable. As for

Windows.old I have not made that silly mistake.

/*
And that's not a "secure delete", merely the fastest way to
hide what was previously on there. Wouldn't take much in the
way of forensics to bring it all back (TestDisk).
*/

I am not interested in forensics just the ability to remove the replacment HDD (I will switch of the PC first unless sombody coments on this) and with the aid of a windows DVD or bootable USB be able to install Windows 7 fresh.

Let's review the options again.

Two disks. Booted from Disk 1, dealing with C: on Disk 0.

+-----+-----------------------------------+
+-----+-----------------------------------+

+-----+-----------------------------------+
| MBR | C: you are booted from | Disk 1
+-----+-----------------------------------+

To delete *all partitions* of Disk 0, use the DiskPart
command and the "clean" option, after selecting Disk 0
for the treatment. Don't use "clean" on Disk 1, as you're
booted from it.

To remove the Windows folder contained in C: on Disk 0,
you use Take Ownership and Full Control as options. Since
we're booted from the C: on Disk 1, the partition on Disk 0
is likely labeled with the letter D: or the like.

The article Brinks wrote, says "do not navigate to the top
of the C: you're booted from, and Take Ownership of C:".
That would screw up the permissions on the active boot
drive. If you use Take Ownership in the above scenario,
it would be "booting from Disk 1" and TakeOwn of Disk 0
C: partition. Then try deleting, being careful you've
got the correct partition letter.

*******

If you boot from a Recovery CD, and had only one hard
drive present, you may be able to do your deleting
or DiskPart clean from there. So that's another way to
do it. But since there is no GUI in the command prompt
window of the Recovery CD, your TakeOwn will have to be
done with the appropriate command line invocation.

Paul
Old August 17th 13, 09:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Friday, August 16, 2013 1:12:56 AM UTC-7, Desmond wrote:
Hi Guys. This might sound silly but I am a bit of a geek and have built and repared computers. I have a hard disl and windows is screwing up. It is the only parttion on it. I like to partiton a hard disk with a windows only partition but in this case I am stuffed.

I re-booted the PC with another disk and installed windows. This works fine.

I plugged in the SATA cable to the internal disk. Using MS DOS diskpart I made it inactive. As I am not booting of this internal disk, I tried to delete the windows partiton. It apears I need permission to perform this operation. This is a stand alone PC. I am the sole owner of it. Why do I need permission to delete a folder of another hard disk that is not active and I am not booting from it? HELP ME PLEASE (Desperate)

TIA

Desmond.

why needs Windows 7? Prefers 64 bits, use Windows XP 64bits.
Old August 17th 13, 10:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 16/08/2013 4:12 PM, Desmond wrote:
I plugged in the SATA cable to the internal disk. Using MS DOS diskpart I made it inactive. As I am not booting of this internal disk, I tried to delete the windows partiton. It apears I need permission to perform this operation. This is a stand alone PC. I am the sole owner of it. Why do I need permission to delete a folder of another hard disk that is not active and I am not booting from it? HELP ME PLEASE (Desperate)

Disk operations in Vi$ta/Win 7/Win 8 always requests admin permission
via User Account Control.

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old August 17th 13, 11:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond[_3_]

On Friday, 16 August 2013 09:12:56 UTC+1, Desmond wrote:
Hi Guys. This might sound silly but I am a bit of a geek and have built and repared computers. I have a hard disl and windows is screwing up. It is the only parttion on it. I like to partiton a hard disk with a windows only partition but in this case I am stuffed.

I re-booted the PC with another disk and installed windows. This works fine.

I plugged in the SATA cable to the internal disk. Using MS DOS diskpart I made it inactive. As I am not booting of this internal disk, I tried to delete the windows partiton. It apears I need permission to perform this operation. This is a stand alone PC. I am the sole owner of it. Why do I need permission to delete a folder of another hard disk that is not active and I am not booting from it? HELP ME PLEASE (Desperate)

TIA

Desmond.

Hi I do know how drive lettering works and if I plug the internal drive in after boot up it will go from C to D. My computer does show all of this. How do I take ownership of the internal drive which I already own as a single stand alone PC in my own house (Not a big business company).

How do I take ownership???

TIA

Desmond.
Old August 17th 13, 11:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond[_3_]

[...]

PS. I do not want to wipe the contents of the internal drive or delete the partition. If I had partitioned the internal drive with only windows on one partition I would not have this problem.
Old August 17th 13, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 17/08/2013 6:08 PM, Desmond wrote:
Hi I do know how drive lettering works and if I plug the internal drive in after boot up it will go from C to D. My computer does show all of this. How do I take ownership of the internal drive which I already own as a single stand alone PC in my own house (Not a big business company).
How do I take ownership???

Right click the drive, Security!

DO NOT take ownership if you would return that drive back to its mother
PC. Sign in as Administrator instead, and do the file operations.

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 19 i686) Linux 3.10.6-200.fc19.i686
^ ^ 21:33:02 up 2 days 2:18 0 users load average: 0.08 0.03 0.05
Old August 17th 13, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond[_3_]

[...]

Ok I will use another language English. I do not sign in as anyone including Bill Gates. So why are you asking me to sign in as someone else when I never sign in. This is as stated previously a stand alone home computer with me being the only person using it. There is absolutely no signing in process. I switch the PC on. Wait a few minutes and start working on it. NO SIGNING ON. Is this clearer?