A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Old ASUS CUV4X

Old August 8th 13, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul
external usenet poster

Default Old ASUS CUV4X

wrote:
wrote:
I'm assuming that getting a video card may help?
I really don't have money to spend on this, but if worse
comes to worse I was thinking about searching on Craiglist:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/3932929739.html
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

I made an error. the monitor is actually plugged into a
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 video card in the first PCI slot.
(I've been bouncing around several non-working system that I get confused).

Nevertheless, I'm sure it doesn't change anything you've said.
I just don't see why none of the other PCs I've had which simular
powered processors exhibited these problems.

Thanks.

Darren

There are some cards here, and it mentions only 2MB or 4MB of video RAM.
That's barely enough for a frame buffer. I'm surprised there'd
even be a driver for WinXP. That would be more like a Win98 card.

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/...th-3d-2000-pro

Does it actually have "24 or 32 bit color" ? Without a
high color mode, that may make extra work for the
CPU decoding process (map colors to 16 bit or 8 bit color).
You'd check the Display control panel, and the settings area.

It's possible the card is old enough, it doesn't have IDCT.
(Which is part of helping with decoding MPEG or the like.)

And I don't know of a way to check that.

Paul
Old August 8th 13, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul
external usenet poster

Default Old ASUS CUV4X

wrote:
On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:11:01 AM UTC-4, Flasherly wrote:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 16:00:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote: I used Belarc to confirm the processor speed. These same DVDs, FLV and MP4 files played ok on my 1Ghz mini-ITX that had 1G ram. (Or my previous system which had less than a 1Ghz processor and 512mb of ram). I have several codec packs, but try to stay away from them because they tend to create more problems than solve, requiring me to uninstall them. GOM is the player that will crash when I attempt to play a DVD. - Yea, GOM and some of those older ones are rough to get working nowadays. The best IMO is the Chinese PotPlayer, but different people use different stuff. Media packs, true, are a pain but nice to have when getting a curve ball encode;- better of course is to locate the individual codecs for Curve Ball. Hey, you know what Darren -- that MB you got is the Kitchen Sink. Really, those things used to be a blast. Hell it's even got a IDE slot on it, for gods sake. In their day, I thought they w
ere great. I know EXACTLY what it is from this review...
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...eid=314&page=2 Memory: Pull ONE memory stick first, one at a time, to determine if it's a memory mismatch or bad stick;- see if either will run stable. Research their nomenclatures to find out their speed/setting specs, and underclock them when possible or allow the MB auto-ID if allowable. UNDERCLOCK everything when possible with an aim to first establish stability. Yea, the boot to CMOS MISMATCH & setup screen happens with ASUS. Been there & done that. (Hope like hell you don't have bad capacitors and a deteriorating board. It's well past old enough to qualify, hate to say.) Reboot on that setup screen and either it returns immediately (bad/mis-set CMOS values), or not (BIOS defaults are successfully taken.) Video. It's intensive and is sending a marginal condition into immediate fault. Do not pass GO do not collect $200. I should think if you run Prime95 you get the same e
ffect in short enough order. It's a handheld board, like I was saying -- Those sorts of boards want to be held and cuddled, Finely Tweaked. What's probably happening is between the video and the CPU - they can't do video replay either/or but only in an and/both condition. UnderClock that CPU for stability first. Your onboard videochip should be the way to go. Simplest, actually. (Yea, I've got a SwEEt AGP Radeon 9800 series. As well as a dual-head Matrox PCI. Tough. Can't have 'em. -) ). Know Thine Settings. And play, play, play with them. Eventually it should settle in. Check your temperatures, to include a fingertip on support heatsinks. (I've got an InFraRed temperature gun. No, damnit, you can't have that, either. ). Play and pray it'll work. It may be beyond hope. The nice thing about it is, in a sense, it's just a precursor to the same 'ol. I still drive 4- and 5-speeds, and it just ****es a world full of bull**** people off. Right. So, I stick to the middle lane and
let them vent their big PIG SUV Spleen, on either side lanes, WOOSH!! w/ Finger/Nose High UpInAirand Never, Ever deviate into 2-lane streets late at night -- when the gun-carriers in their pieces of **** are out just looking for a chip that fell off their shoulder. Sorry, I can't offer more. What seems help, for some I notice, in case it's not enough, is to **** up a puddle and proceed to stomp, then cry, and finally whine into it. (Owning a board like that is a badge of distinction in my book - it's exactly what's sent PCs into heldheld subscription-only devices, i.e. - requires study and forethought on the part of the Operator.)

I did try each memory stick by itself and also swapped between their slots with no changes to my video playing issues.

The board was actually under-clocked before at 133 x 5.5. I don't think there is anything else I can do.

Thanks.

Darren

I would think another video card would be worth a try.

This one is $43 + $3 shipping, and has a $10 rebate. So $36 final cost.

(Nvidia 6200, doesn't have all the latest decoding options)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130452

But I still like this one, in terms of buzzword compliance.
If you still have a lot of AGP slot computers around, I'd get
this one.

(ATI HD 4350 with AGP bridge chip $60)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161318

If all you've got in the way of AGP based systems, is the CUV4X,
then the 6200 will be better than your current Diamond card. It will have
32 bit color. And if you look under the "AGP Geforce 6200" column,
it has "High Quality Scaler", which means no computing penalty
for going full screen. It doesn't have much else to offer.
That's why I was looking at the HD 4350 instead, because it
has a "real" video decoder inside, and not just a little IDCT assist.

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/...Comparison.pdf

A look on Craigslist, shows a "vacuum" in terms of appropriate cards.
The TNT AGP card wouldn't be worth your time.

And considering the vintage of your hardware, WinXP is probably
the best compromise OS. Later OSes are just getting too picky
about hardware. I only have one computer here that can run Win8.
A second computer, the CPU is OK for Win8, but I need to change
the video card for it (no Win8 driver for FX5200 AGP).

Paul