TV tuner card

Old July 22nd 13, 05:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default TV tuner card

Metspitzer wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 21:52:14 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 22:24:27 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

Anyone have one they recommend? How about what not to buy?

The cheapest card that is listed with a Google search is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FWZk7Aod22YAmg
It comes with a remote control, but I can't imagine needing to use it.
It looks like it comes with an external antenna. I don't see me even
plugging that thing up.

It also says it is PCI-Express x1 Interface. While I do have a slot
for PCI-Express x1 Interface, that kind of limits it's use. Why would
it not just use PCI?

20 bucks after a 15$ rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...dia-_-15306023

I ordered this card, but I canceled it because it looks like the
connector for the antenna is not a standard CATV.

A side view of the top connector, makes me think it is an RCA (Cinch)
connector. You need an adapter to get F-series on the other end. I
have some odds and ends like that.

I call these "bullets", or at least one in a series of bullet-like
adapters.

"Gold Series "F" Connector to Phono Plug Adapter"

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103580

So you can still order your card, assuming it's going to get
something unencrypted from the cable (like local broadcast
stations - some cable systems, mirror the local broadcast
stations, and the card you've selected should be able to get
those ones).

Paul
Old August 10th 13, 06:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

wrote:

Anyone have one they recommend? How about what not to buy?

The cheapest card that is listed with a Google search is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FWZk7Aod22YAmg
It comes with a remote control, but I can't imagine needing to use it.
It looks like it comes with an external antenna. I don't see me even
plugging that thing up.

It also says it is PCI-Express x1 Interface. While I do have a slot
for PCI-Express x1 Interface, that kind of limits it's use. Why would
it not just use PCI?

20 bucks after a 15$ rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...dia-_-15306023

This card still seems to be working fine. I just discovered that you
can use it with Media Player and that seems to even make the card
better. The biggest advantage of Media Player over the included
software is that Media Player will let you keep it on top of other
windows. All programs should give you that option.

Old August 10th 13, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:

[...]

The silicon on that thing, should be pretty good.

The Theater chip family used to have a pretty good rating.

And the price has come down a lot on those. At one time,
that card might have been $100 or so.

Paul

TV tuner card jeffc Ati Videocards 3 May 11th 05 02:05 AM
TV Tuner Card Mark Homebuilt PC's 3 January 28th 05 11:45 PM
Does WinTV-GO PCI TV Tuner Card work with integrated sound card? Tuanjie Liu General 1 September 8th 04 08:33 AM
TV tuner card for LCD Stacey General 15 April 4th 04 03:06 AM
video card and tv tuner card questions John General 2 December 15th 03 12:08 PM