At what point is it overkill for the particular game I'm using?

Old July 22nd 05, 04:34 AM
Doc

Default At what point is it overkill for the particular game I'm using?

I asked earlier about suggestions for cards. I'll ask a different question
along the same lines, for the particular game I'm using - Novalogic's
F-16/F-22/MiG 29 games, which I believe are several years old, is there a
particular point at which I'm not gaining anything?

I'm not a tech, and not greatly knowledgeable about various issues regarding
video cards, so it's not clear to me if you'll always gain better graphics
with the latest card no matter what you're playing or is there a point at
which it's not going to make a difference with an older game like this?

It's not likely I'm going to get heavily into games, I got these Novalogic
games on a whim. I have a few others that I've never even tried that came
bundled with Creative Live and Audigy2 sound cards - Soldier of Fortune II
double helix, Hitman II, Unreal, Alien vs Predator, Myth II, Half Life Day
One. Not sure how old these games are and how sophisticated the graphics on
them are.

Old July 22nd 05, 05:51 AM
Phil Weldon

'Doc' wrote, in part:
| I asked earlier about suggestions for cards. I'll ask a different question
| along the same lines, for the particular game I'm using - Novalogic's
| F-16/F-22/MiG 29 games, which I believe are several years old, is there a
| particular point at which I'm not gaining anything?

_____

A good starting point is to establish the publication date of the game, then
find a review of the best performing card at that date. For a three or four
year old game, a card with performance equivalent to a three or four year
old top-of-the-line display adapter would be on target. Keep in mind that
the performance of the rest of your computer is also important. Also keep
in mind that you may find a lot of games not worth playing and/or not to
your taste.

Phil Weldon

nk.net...

Old July 22nd 05, 03:28 PM
Wookie

It looks like you to play flight suimulator games mostly.
I think that SOF 2 was one of the best FPS games made and Half Life is a
classic too. THose games will demand the most out of your older video card,
but you don't know how it will play until you try it. The new ATI Cat 5.7's
are really supposed to help the ATI cards with less RAM out wuite a bit.
Shoot .. just install the game and play it for 10- 20 minutes and see if you
like it .. if you don't then un-install it. I played those games on a 9800
PRO and the graphics were good enough to have to have fun and be enjoyable.
I played some of those on a NVidia 4400 and they were OK too. You don't
know until you try it. Video games push video technology to the edge and
each year it seems as though the games become more demanding. I really
don't play FLight simulator games very much so I can't give you a compariosn
of SOF 2 to F-16 .. but I think you should try installing your new games and
see if they pplay well .. and you may really like the new games too.

nk.net...

Old July 22nd 05, 11:22 PM
Larry Roberts

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 03:34:57 GMT, "Doc"
wrote:

[...]

As for F16, and Mig29... They are either DirectDraw 2D, or
3DFX Glide 3D only. The only F-22 game that is 3D accelerated is F-22
Lightning 3, and it ues Direct 3D which works with new cards. I'd say
that for the games you list, an Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti, or an ATI Radeon
8500/9100, or newer GPU would max these games out.
Old July 23rd 05, 03:48 AM
Philburg

I'd have to agree, I think you can max those games out with a Geforce 4 TI
and you certainly won't have to break the bank to do it. They run for
almost nothing ever since BF2 came out. Damn that game.
-Phil

nk.net...