Glyph Antialiasing vs. Clear Type

Old August 21st 04, 07:36 AM
AJ

Default Glyph Antialiasing vs. Clear Type

Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software? Is
hardware antialiasing better? Should I turn off
Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

AJ

Old August 21st 04, 10:17 PM
Richard Hopkins

"AJ" wrote in message...
Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software?

Yes, although seeing as we're talking about non-graphics intensive usage,
whether it's done in the GPU or by the CPU is a slightly moot point.

Is hardware antialiasing better?

At end of day whether it's hardware or software is irrelevant, which looks
better to *your* eyes? Personally I prefer Microsoft's take to Matrox's.

Should I turn off Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

Try it both ways and see which your eyes prefer. That's all that really
matters.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old August 22nd 04, 12:25 AM
Arthur Hagen

AJ wrote:
Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software? Is
hardware antialiasing better? Should I turn off
Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

ClearType is a subpixel anti-aliasing method that really only works well if
you have a TFT display with horisontally arranged subpixels. If you do, it
allows for much smoother anti-aliasing. Matrox' glyph anti-aliasing is far
better for CRT displays, both because it allows you to adjust the amount of
aliasing, and because it uses the graphics card anti-aliasing routines,
meaning better results with less CPU use.

arranged like below, go for ClearType. If not, go with Matrox Glyph
anti-aliasing.

ClearType compatible subpixel setup -- look *real* close, or use a
magnifying glass to see if it matches:

R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B

ClearType *incompatible* subpixel setup -- if you have this, ClearType will
make things worse, with distinct coloured edges on letters:

R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B
R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B

Regards,
--
*Art

Old August 22nd 04, 12:33 AM
AJ

"Richard Hopkins" wrote in message ...
"AJ" wrote in message...
Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software?

Yes, although seeing as we're talking about non-graphics intensive usage, whether it's done in the GPU or by the CPU is a
slightly moot point.

Is hardware antialiasing better?

At end of day whether it's hardware or software is irrelevant, which looks better to *your* eyes? Personally I prefer
Microsoft's take to Matrox's.

Should I turn off Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

Try it both ways and see which your eyes prefer. That's all that really matters.

Antialiasing was the reason I was considering the P650 over the G450.
I'd rather have a PCI card than an AGP at this technology transitionary time.
Since ClearType is basically the same as Matrox's hardware antialiasing,
I don't think then the P650 is worth $80 more than the G450 (even if it is
twice as fast). Thanks for your comments.

AJ

Old August 22nd 04, 01:09 AM
AJ

"Arthur Hagen" wrote in message ...
AJ wrote:
Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software? Is
hardware antialiasing better? Should I turn off
Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

ClearType is a subpixel anti-aliasing method that really only works well if
you have a TFT display with horisontally arranged subpixels.

It works VERY well on my CRT thanks to the ClearType tuner on the web. Text
at 1600x1200 on my 19" G90fb Viewsonic is very clear. Much more readable
than without it or with "standard smoothing".

If you do, it
allows for much smoother anti-aliasing. Matrox' glyph anti-aliasing is far
better for CRT displays, both because it allows you to adjust the amount of
aliasing, and because it uses the graphics card anti-aliasing routines,
meaning better results with less CPU use.

That would be nice on my current CPU, I don't think it'll be a problem on
my new one though.

arranged like below, go for ClearType. If not, go with Matrox Glyph
anti-aliasing.

Are you speaking from experience or just theory? Have you tested both
scenarios on the same monitor/OS?

ClearType compatible subpixel setup -- look *real* close, or use a
magnifying glass to see if it matches:

R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B

ClearType *incompatible* subpixel setup -- if you have this, ClearType will
make things worse, with distinct coloured edges on letters:

R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B
R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B

I don't get any colored edges on letters thanks to the ClearType Tuner. Without
the tuner, I've seen what you're talking about though. My fonts are fat and dark
black. I run 1600x1200 with font sizes scaled up to around 135%. Text on my
screen is very close if not exactly the size of 10 pt font printed. (My G90fb is a
shadow mask monitor and not an aperature grill type).

AJ

Old August 22nd 04, 12:10 PM
Doug Ramage

"AJ" wrote in message...
Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software?

Yes, although seeing as we're talking about non-graphics intensive usage,
whether it's done in the GPU or by the CPU is a slightly moot point.

Is hardware antialiasing better?

At end of day whether it's hardware or software is irrelevant, which looks
better to *your* eyes? Personally I prefer Microsoft's take to Matrox's.

Should I turn off Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

Try it both ways and see which your eyes prefer. That's all that really
matters.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

I would agree - I prefer MS ClearType to Matrox on my P650 and 19" TFT.

However, the Matrox option is good for Windows 2000 - I have a multiple OS
system.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]