new machine (maybe)

Old June 16th 17, 01:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tumppiw[_2_]

Default new machine (maybe)

I'm looking to upgrade my 6 years old machine as it feels a little long
in the tooth when doing things like video re-encoding from x.264 to
x.265 (w/ Handbrake, most is only 720p but a few are 1080p and it takes
like 19h to do ONE 2.3GB 1080p movie)(the example is Space Battleship
Yamato ep01, that I got pirated from somewhere)
Most other uses is internet browsing, WoW and the like

(Currently it's:
MB: ASUS F1A75-M pro m/b (BIOS 2203) , AMD Llano A6-3650 boxed, 4*4096MB
(16GB) KHX1600C9D3/4GX,
GPU: Asus Radeon HD7790 DirectCU II OC 1GB,
HDs: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB,Samsung HD154UI,Seagate
ST300DM001,Toshiba(Verbatim)DT01ACA300
Opticals: ASUS DRW-24B3ST
Case: CM N400, Antec Basiq430W)

And wondering if something like this would be feasible??

AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Asus PRIME X370-PRO
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB kit (2*8GB)
WD Blue 500GB SSD (can't afford a M.2 NVMe drive for the moment)
(can't afford a new GPU either, even if this HD7790 is no monster)
I'd need a few things besides (like a new PSU and a few case fans)

The total would be somewhere around the 1000 euro mark

Would this speed up the re-encoding ??

Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland
Translation to/from FI/SWE not always accurate
Old June 16th 17, 02:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

tumppiw wrote:
[...]

The thread here discusses some of the possibilities.

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comme...700k_question/

4:4:4 versus 4:2:0
CPU versus QuickSync versus GPU

And it's possible the referenced benchmark site, would be using
CPU-only. Amazingly, it looks like more cores are helping. I
thought some of these video formats, they didn't benefit all
that much from the extra cores. But the 8 core processor is
still getting an advantage. So maybe the Ryzen 7 1700 isn't
such a bad choice after all.

http://x265.ru/en/x265-hd-benchmark/

And the tests they did here, the 1700 gives you most of the
speed, at a good price.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/...0x-and-1700/20

I expect you're going to find some pretty weird results
researching this stuff - when one site shows perfect scaling,
and another... doesn't.

I don't think the video project is going to benefit from
the SSD, so you could save some money by using your
old hard drive if you want.

Paul
Old June 16th 17, 03:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tumppiw[_2_]

Paul kirjoitti 16.06.2017 klo 16.52:
tumppiw wrote:
[...]

I might, save on the SSD, that should save me about 180 euro..
(Been looking at youtube- bitwit, paul's hardware and others)

The PSU, fans etc are about 100 euro

I hope my Win10CreatorsEdition doesn't take it too badly up it's nose.
It's an Win7 home Premium (don't know if OEM or retail) upgraded to
Win10 may/2016 and all upgrades/updates since. Here Win10 costs 135 euro

Old June 16th 17, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Anybody upgrading today definitely does want an SSD.

Even if you do not by an SSD at the same time, you absolutely
positively should get the current technology interface AT NO
EXTRA CHARGE. Be sure to include it on your next inexpensive
motherboard. On my $70 USD Gigabyte motherboard, that
interface is called this...

"1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA
and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support)"

PCIe is faster than SATA. M key is the one. The four digit
numbers refer to the size, 80 being the longest.

Blazing fast nonvolatile (like an HDD, but fast as RAM)
storage with the socket built into the motherboard. ANY BUYER
WOULD BE FOOLISH NOT TO INCLUDE THAT IN A NEW MOTHERBOARD
PURCHASE. Then you shop for the specific NVMe SSD card to
plug into that slot. The NVMe add-in card competition is
quickly increasing. Even if not right away, it would make a
GREAT upgrade a few months later.
Old June 16th 17, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

Here are some of my own personal benchmark results. The NVMe
makes a HUGE difference even for just copying large files. It
would help TREMENDOUSLY with video editing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos_user.g...e=&de tails=1

Old June 16th 17, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

tumppiw wrote:
[...]

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/...rformance.html

"HandBrake can scale well up to 6 CPU cores with diminishing returns thereafter."

In which case, if you have enough cores, perhaps it's better
to run two instances, and split the video into two pieces ?
And join on GOP boundaries later ?

There's an article here, and the comments section is interesting
in terms of what users seem to like. I guess bitrate, if you
really need it as low as possible, is a reason to do this.

http://www.techspot.com/article/1131...ack/page8.html

Paul

Old June 16th 17, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:56:08 +0300, tumppiw wrote:

Would this speed up the re-encoding ??

There's appears to be a lot of processors that would do that.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A6-3650+APU

Downside being doubled for that particular CPU, as it doesn't score
well in performance for its value. Something you'll have to account
for yourself -- discrepancies in encoding, if any, between
applicability to CPU models, unique features, notably with a Ryzen --
or, if to place the emphasize purely on encoding, for how much value
that is worth. A potentially significant sum if solely factored for a
faster encode to complete, or so done by a CPU, one other than a
Ryzen, that's reasonably well adapted to that distinct task.
Old June 27th 17, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe[_9_]

HUGE DIFFERENCE in file copying

As in between 50 MB per second and 500+ MB per second.