HELP I need to delete Windows 7 64bit

Old August 17th 13, 10:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default HELP I need to delete Windows 7 64bit

Desmond wrote:
On Friday, 16 August 2013 09:12:56 UTC+1, Desmond wrote:
Hi Guys. This might sound silly but I am a bit of a geek and have built and repared computers. I have a hard disl and windows is screwing up. It is the only parttion on it. I like to partiton a hard disk with a windows only partition but in this case I am stuffed.

I re-booted the PC with another disk and installed windows. This works fine.

I plugged in the SATA cable to the internal disk. Using MS DOS diskpart I made it inactive. As I am not booting of this internal disk, I tried to delete the windows partiton. It apears I need permission to perform this operation. This is a stand alone PC. I am the sole owner of it. Why do I need permission to delete a folder of another hard disk that is not active and I am not booting from it? HELP ME PLEASE (Desperate)

TIA

Desmond.

Ok I will use another language English. I do not sign in as anyone including Bill Gates. So why are you asking me to sign in as someone else when I never sign in. This is as stated previously a stand alone home computer with me being the only person using it. There is absolutely no signing in process. I switch the PC on. Wait a few minutes and start working on it. NO SIGNING ON. Is this clearer?

You are being perfectly clear.

However, you don't understand the complicated permissions
problem.

Operating systems use *multiple* account names, to store
information. This forms "compartments". For example, an
account called "TrustedInstaller", owns some of the folders
involved. You cannot log in as TrustedInstaller. Neither
will a typical piece of malware, be running as TrustedInstaller.

That's the theory of how multiple accounts, help in an OS design.
They *prevent* immediate access to things. They must be
circumvented, with lots of silly commands.

To fix that, "Take Ownership" makes sufficient changes to ownership
for some purposes. "Full Control" permission, then finishes the job,
by allowing the actual owner of the computer to delete the files
in question.

It's got nothing to do with your notion of signing in, and
everything to do with understanding how the OS is
compartmentalized. These ideas were imported from Unix
(and Linux). For example, in some Linux setups, you
can't log in as "root" (administrator), but you can
use the command "sudo" to be a "fake administrator". The
Windows "permission dialog" popups, do some similar ideas,
they're the "mother may I" notion of running a computer.

Whether this stops any malware, is debatable. But, it's
all part of the game, of computer maintenance.

As for my computer maintenance skills, I understand the
concepts (from my exposure to other OSes), but not all
the details of the Windows implementation. My brain
refuses to form a detailed model of accounts, ACLs,
and the like. So about all I can do, to help you,
is look up "specific recipes" in the hope the
incantation will be enough to make the problem
go away.

Paul
Old August 18th 13, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Glasgock

"Desmond" wrote in message
[...]

You sign in as someone, whether you know it or not. It's just done
automatically.

In your new version of windows, right click windows explorer, click run as
administrator (you have an administrator account). If it won't let you, the
account has been disabled (default) and you haven't enabled it. If it will
let you, right click the folder, click properties, click security, find the
Advanced button and click it, click the Owner tab and change the owner to
whatever your user name is. Then go back to the security dialog, add your
username to the folder, give yourself full control, make sure you include
all subdirectories, click apply, close it, and delete the folder. (P.s.,
your user name will not be youinyourhouse.) If you can't do that, it all
becomes too much typing....

- So what you do, search for then download Hiren's Boot CD. Burn it to a
CD. Boot from it. When it boots, there will be some options. Pick MiniXP.
Up will come MiniXP. (No messing with Linux.) Run Windows Explorer.
Navigate to the folder you want to delete. Delete it. Ba-bing.

Old August 18th 13, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 17/08/2013 4:53 PM, Desmond wrote:
Ok I will use another language English. I do not sign in as anyone
including Bill Gates. So why are you asking me to sign in as someone
else when I never sign in. This is as stated previously a stand alone
home computer with me being the only person using it. There is
absolutely no signing in process. I switch the PC on. Wait a few
minutes and start working on it. NO SIGNING ON. Is this clearer?

You actually do sign in as someone, whether you know it or not. Even if
you don't type a password into the computer at the start, you are
running in an user account that simply doesn't have a password. Now,
this user account may be assigned a name like "Computer Owner" or
"Default User", or even be your own name! Did it ask you your name when
you first setup the computer? If so, then it used that name to setup the
default user name.

When people say you need to sign in as administrator, there is a hidden
user account called Administrator that every Windows computer has. You
will be asked from time to time to "Give Administrative Privileges" when
doing certain activities. That simply means that you're temporarily
leaving your default account and logging in as Administrator.

Yousuf Khan
Old August 18th 13, 01:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond[_3_]

[...]

When I right click on WE there is no run as administrator
If I go to control panel User Accounts I have one Icon Des_X1 (this i not the name of an account but the volume ID of the hard drive. It states Administrator.

Confused.

Old August 18th 13, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond[_3_]

[...]

Right click WE and select properties - Security gives me

SYSTEM
Des_X1(DesX1\Des_X1)
Administrator(Desx1\Administrators)

Control Panel Users gives me one account
Des_X1 Administrator

Old August 18th 13, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 18/08/2013 9:06 AM, Desmond wrote:
Right click WE and select properties - Security gives me

SYSTEM
Des_X1(DesX1\Des_X1)
Administrator(Desx1\Administrators)

Control Panel Users gives me one account
Des_X1 Administrator

Yes, assuming that you're Des_X1, then that's an administrator account.
However, you don't have full access to administrative privileges until
you raise your administrator hand (so to speak). You have to go to
Control Panel item, such as Disk Partitioning and right click on it, and
one of the options will be "Run as Administrator".

Yousuf Khan
Old August 21st 13, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Glasgock

"Desmond" wrote in message
[...]

Desmond, DesX1 is you. Click advanced button, Owner, and make sure Des Xl
is the owner. Then try deleting. If it doesn't work, boot into safe mode.
The administrator account should appear on the login screen. Log in. If
you can't or it doesn't appear, go here and do what it says:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html

Also: get a file unlocking program (eg unlocker) and run it against the
folder. That may or may not work.

Or just get a boot disk, boot with it, delete the folder.