"Speaker For PC Interanal BIOS Computer Motherboard Mini Onboard Case Buzzer Board Beep Alarm NEW."

Old December 16th 19, 04:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

Default "Speaker For PC Interanal BIOS Computer Motherboard Mini Onboard Case Buzzer Board Beep Alarm NEW."

"Speaker For PC Interanal BIOS Computer Motherboard Mini Onboard Case Buzzer
Board Beep Alarm NEW."

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Speake...ep+Alarm+NE W.

This is a cheap option that can be added post hoc. Is it worth it? Maybe.

Old December 16th 19, 04:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

"Norm Why" wrote in message
"Speaker For PC Interanal BIOS Computer Motherboard Mini Onboard Case
Buzzer Board Beep Alarm NEW."

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Speake...ep+Alarm+NE W.

This is a cheap option that can be added post hoc. Is it worth it? Maybe.

Oh ****. Restored POWER LED connectors+/- to original position. Now POWER
LED does not work. I thought these were protected by some 'magic' circuit.

Is cheap option above worth it, pre hoc? I guess.

Old December 16th 19, 06:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm Why wrote:
"Norm Why" wrote in message
"Speaker For PC Interanal BIOS Computer Motherboard Mini Onboard Case
Buzzer Board Beep Alarm NEW."

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Speake...ep+Alarm+NE W.

This is a cheap option that can be added post hoc. Is it worth it? Maybe.

Oh ****. Restored POWER LED connectors+/- to original position. Now POWER
LED does not work. I thought these were protected by some 'magic' circuit.

Is cheap option above worth it, pre hoc? I guess.

Indicator LEDs have a 5V Peak Inverse Volts rating.
Indicator LEDs are red,yellow,green and T13/4 size.
And $0.20 a piece, leaves some profit for the seller
(even though back in the day, RadioShack might want $3.00).

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ngle/285/1212/

Continuous Forward Current 30 mA
Reverse Voltage 5V === perfect for computer cases :-)

There are some LEDs, particularly power LEDs that'll
knock an eyeball out, that those are *not* rated for
reversal. If you reverse them, sometimes they reward
you later with reduced light output, or they blow
out completely.

And some power LEDs, you can see an element next to the
substrate with the LED, and that appears to be a
reverse polarity and/or ESD protector.

1) When around PC cases and computer motherboards,
the usage of LEDs here is "carefree". No worries
that I've ever seen, due to the 5V PIV rating of
these LED types. The motherboard always has a series
resistor, so the computer case side doesn't need a
resistor to be present.

Sometimes the wire bond fails, and this can be
caused by stress on a leg, pulling on the anvil
and maybe the wire bond wasn't properly formed.
A little chip of GaAs material is mounted on an
anvil, and a wire bond to the surface provides the
second connection to the LED.

2) When dealing with $20 LEDs from Newark, I'm a lot
more careful. I check check and recheck the polarity.

Examples of running power LEDs off a constant current source.
Sometimes the "star" hexagonal substrate, has polarity
markings. You buy them mounted this way, to avoid damaging
them by applying too much soldering iron heat directly
to the LED. Two of these light my kitchen right now :-)
You point them at the ceiling for "bounce" lighting.

http://lednique.com/wp/wp-content/up...wer-supply.png

https://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/F...O9FDYPTCX6.jpg

Paul

Old December 18th 19, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

"Speaker For PC Interanal BIOS Computer Motherboard Mini Onboard Case
Buzzer Board Beep Alarm NEW."

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Speake...ep+Alarm+NE W.

This is a cheap option that can be added post hoc. Is it worth it?
Maybe.

Oh ****. Restored POWER LED connectors+/- to original position. Now POWER
LED does not work. I thought these were protected by some 'magic'
circuit.

Is cheap option above worth it, pre hoc? I guess.

Indicator LEDs have a 5V Peak Inverse Volts rating.
Indicator LEDs are red,yellow,green and T13/4 size.
And $0.20 a piece, leaves some profit for the seller
(even though back in the day, RadioShack might want $3.00).

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ngle/285/1212/

Continuous Forward Current 30 mA
Reverse Voltage 5V === perfect for computer cases
:-)

[...]

Thanks Paul, I acquired a beep speaker with solid connector that connected
to pins 20, 14. Beep code "Continuous short beeps: Power error". I am
surprised. I have a NEW 400W PSU. Maybe old is better. I tested +5V which
peaks then falls perhaps due to Smart Power management Catch 22 coming from
the BIOS. I have a 5V power pack for my cell. Do you think it would be a
good idea to plug it into a USB port and see if it can power the MOBO + one
notch PCI VGA + one 500 MB DDR2-533 RAM module?

I hate suicide.

Old December 18th 19, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

Paul

Thanks Paul, I acquired a beep speaker with solid connector that connected
to pins 20, 14. Beep code "Continuous short beeps: Power error". I am
surprised. I have a NEW 400W PSU. Maybe old is better. I tested +5V which
peaks then falls perhaps due to Smart Power management Catch 22 coming
from the BIOS. I have a 5V power pack for my cell. Do you think it would
be a good idea to plug it into a USB port and see if it can power the MOBO
+ one notch PCI VGA + one 500 MB DDR2-533 RAM module?

I hate suicide.

I forgot fans. I can disconnect Fans. Q9650 CPU stays.

Old December 18th 19, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

[snippage]
Thanks Paul, I acquired a beep speaker with solid connector that
connected to pins 20, 14. Beep code "Continuous short beeps: Power
error". I am surprised. I have a NEW 400W PSU. Maybe old is better. I
tested +5V which peaks then falls perhaps due to Smart Power management
Catch 22 coming from the BIOS. I have a 5V power pack for my cell. Do you
think it would be a good idea to plug it into a USB port and see if it
can power the MOBO + one notch PCI VGA + one 500 MB DDR2-533 RAM module?

I hate suicide.

I forgot fans. I can disconnect Fans. Q9650 CPU stays.

I have confirmed isolation between frame ground and MOBO. SATA power cables
are remove. Ditto 500 MB DDR2-533 RAM module. Still Beep code "Continuous
short beeps: Power error". Either I need an ~2008 PSU or advice on 5V USB
power pack. Don't want to burn more circuits. The USB power pack is 12Wh.
Output is 2.4 A Max. 5V x 2.4A = 12W. not at all comparable to 400W. Maybe
lab power would work?

I don't think I have any need or desire to test USB power pack.

From manual "(Note 5) Dynamic Energy Saver Meter will automatically reset
when the total power saving reaches
99999999 Watts."

Even engineers get confused with units. Watts is power watt-hour is Energy
.. This was reset and should be zero. The manual is not helpful with PSU.
Maybe should swap out for dumb PSU?

Old December 18th 19, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

[snippage]

I hate suicide.

I forgot fans. I can disconnect Fans. Q9650 CPU stays.

I have confirmed isolation between frame ground and MOBO. SATA power
cables are remove. Ditto 500 MB DDR2-533 RAM module. Still Beep code
"Continuous short beeps: Power error". Either I need an ~2008 PSU or
advice on 5V USB power pack. Don't want to burn more circuits. The USB
power pack is 12Wh. Output is 2.4 A Max. 5V x 2.4A = 12W. not at all
comparable to 400W. Maybe lab power would work?

I don't think I have any need or desire to test USB power pack.

From manual "(Note 5) Dynamic Energy Saver Meter will automatically reset
when the total power saving reaches
99999999 Watts."

Even engineers get confused with units. Watts is power, watt-hour is
Energy. This was reset and should be zero. The manual is not helpful with
PSU. Maybe should swap out for dumb PSU?

Cheap crapy power supplies are better. But I sold my cheap crapy power
supply to my friend Jerry now in Colorado. He has not complained. Cheaper =
better.

Old December 19th 19, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

[snippage]

I hate suicide.

I forgot fans. I can disconnect Fans. Q9650 CPU stays.

I have confirmed isolation between frame ground and MOBO. SATA power
cables are remove. Ditto 500 MB DDR2-533 RAM module. Still Beep code
"Continuous short beeps: Power error". Either I need an ~2008 PSU or
advice on 5V USB power pack. Don't want to burn more circuits. The USB
power pack is 12Wh. Output is 2.4 A Max. 5V x 2.4A = 12W. not at all
comparable to 400W. Maybe lab power would work?

I don't think I have any need or desire to test USB power pack.

From manual "(Note 5) Dynamic Energy Saver Meter will automatically reset
when the total power saving reaches
99999999 Watts."

Even engineers get confused with units. Watts is power, watt-hour is
Energy. This was reset and should be zero. The manual is not helpful with
PSU. Maybe should swap out for dumb PSU?

Cheap crapy power supplies are better. But I sold my cheap crapy power
supply to my friend Jerry now in Colorado. He has not complained. Cheaper
= better.

This table gives the Power consumption for a GA-EP45-DS3L. This is not with
all the PCI and PCIe slots loaded with goodies:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2717/11

Idle: 138 or 142 Watts.

Load: 236 or 242 Watts.

Maybe a 400W PSU is a good choice for a fully occupied MOBO?

Old December 19th 19, 03:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm Why wrote:
Paul

Thanks Paul, I acquired a beep speaker with solid connector that connected
to pins 20, 14. Beep code "Continuous short beeps: Power error". I am
surprised. I have a NEW 400W PSU. Maybe old is better. I tested +5V which
peaks then falls perhaps due to Smart Power management Catch 22 coming
from the BIOS. I have a 5V power pack for my cell. Do you think it would
be a good idea to plug it into a USB port and see if it can power the MOBO
+ one notch PCI VGA + one 500 MB DDR2-533 RAM module?

I hate suicide.

I forgot fans. I can disconnect Fans. Q9650 CPU stays.

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you
identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)

1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error ===

Your board doesn't monitor +5V or +5VSB or +12V.
This is what the picture in the manual shows.

Vcore 1.332V === this rail generated by onboard regulator
DDR 1.840V === this rail generated by onboard regulator
+3.3V 3.296V
+12V 12.048V

A 9650 is equivalent to two E8400 processor dies,
packaged inside the same MCM LGA775. I have an E8400
here for reference, to give reasonable (but not
exactly same) values as compared to your 9650.

My E8400 idles at 1.080V. peaks at 1.224V (measured values).

Now, if a processor VID pins were for some reason, to
ask for the wrong voltage, the measured value could be
out of the expected range. And *that* could be the error,
instead of your poor PSU being to blame.

The RAM voltage standards are similar to values like this.

SDRAM 3.3V
DDR 2.5V
DDR2 1.8V === Each supply can be offset a bit, to guarantee speed
DDR3 1.5V
DDR4 1.2V

Whereas the VCore voltage is defined by VID pins plus
using probed knowledge of the CPU itself, in cases
where a socket supports two VRM standards at the
same time. Notice in the references list here,
LGA775 supports VRD 10.1 and VRD 11.0.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=yQ0...lga775&f=false

VRD11.1 same VID table as VRD11.0
1.6V to 0.5V using 8 bit VID bus

VRD10 7 bit VID bus
1.6V to 0.83125 using 7 bit VID bus

VRD10.1 6 bit VID bus
1.6V to 0.8375V

9650 VID range
VID Voltage Range 0.8500V-1.3625V

*******

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...DS3L-rev-10#ov

"(Note) This motherboard is designed with VRD11.1 power phase,
and cannot be compatible with VRD10 designed CPU.

Please refer to "CPU Support List" for details.
"

The BIOS version needed is F8 minimum. Verify I've got the correct mobo model number.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/Suppor...uct&Value=2844

Towards the lower part of the table, you can see some older
processors won't run in the board. The BIOS version is "N/A"
for Not Applicable.

Note carefully the donkey processors that can be used for
flashing up the board. Like, if the BIOS isn't recent enough,
the board may fail to start with the 9650 in it.

*******

You can use a multimeter to verify the PSU voltages as
measured on the main 24 pin connector. This will give some
idea whether the PSU is a problem, or will cover the situation
if the board actually does monitor the other rails, but refuses
to show the results.

When looking at the PSU cable as it remains plugged into the
motherboard, the metal pins crimped onto each wire is exposed.
The multimeter tip can reach into each connector shroud hole and
allow measurement of the voltage. Even without a pinout table,
you should be able to get some idea whether "canonical" voltages
are present on the connector, while the system is powered
(without the video card).

*******

One other thing you were supposed to do, was a visual inspection
of the LGA775 with the PNP cap removed. If the board was
used by a modder, there might have been a socket mod applied
to the board. There's some kind of socket mod for Xeon usage
(that's assuming the CPU Support table includes Xeon). On a few
boards in the past, the motherboard maker retrofitted Xeon
entries into the compatibility table, where they worked
without a problem. On some generations of processors,
this simply isn't possible (formfactor of CPU is too different,
pins don't match up).

I'm not convinced it's your power supply, it could be
the daft BIOS needs an update before the 9650 will run.
This is a common problem with a lot of motherboards,
causing the user to buy the "cheapest donkey processor"
to get the board flashed up. Again, in some cases a good
mom&pop computer store should be consulted for a
flashing-up service. They may have enough CPUs in their
collection, to have an appropriate donkey.

The Celerons used to be the best for this, but the Celerons
in the support table say N/A so they're no good for this.

Paul
Old December 20th 19, 09:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

Thanks Paul, I acquired a beep speaker with solid connector that
connected to pins 20, 14. Beep code "Continuous short beeps: Power
error". I am surprised. I have a NEW 400W PSU. Maybe old is better. I
tested +5V which peaks then falls perhaps due to Smart Power management
Catch 22 coming from the BIOS. I have a 5V power pack for my cell. Do
you think it would be a good idea to plug it into a USB port and see if
it can power the MOBO + one notch PCI VGA + one 500 MB DDR2-533 RAM
module?

I hate suicide.

I forgot fans. I can disconnect Fans. Q9650 CPU stays.

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you
[...]

I acquired a couple of other PSUs for experiment. I made some progress in
hypotheses. Here is my latest experiment.

"From my last experiment, I tied removing 12V and using my installed PSU.
Same result as last. Fans spin, LEDs glow, no boot recycle, no beep codes.
12V = beep codes." No PCI VGA boot to BIOS screen. 500MB DDR2-533
installed.
WTF?

My friend Jerry interpreted manual different he says default PCI VGA is
first. I say different. Maybe I should move format jumper on PCI VGA
graphics card?