Ideas (Asus A7N8X De Luxe)

Old August 22nd 03, 07:23 PM
Agron

Default Ideas (Asus A7N8X De Luxe)

Got the above motherboard as replacement for 2 faulty boards from Komplett.
The problems I am having are pretty much the same as Abit NF7-S.
I installed all the hardware (Barton 2500, ATI radeon 8500, HD Seagate
Barracuda 80 Gig's, Twin Mos 2 x 256 memory, PSU Q Technology 300W)) and all
the fans rock and roll. Everything looks fine but actually NOTHING else
happens. It will not post to bios. I don't get any beep warnings and I have
noticed the HD does not start up. All the components work fine in the old
system and in friends PC but I think I am missing something.
I have tried clearing the CMOS but it wasn't helpful.
Any good ideas out there would be appreciated.

Old August 22nd 03, 07:40 PM
matt

is the graphics card 1.5v type??. it wont boot unless it is. there may be a
warning light come on the motherboard to let you know.

you could try disconnecting the components and plugging them in 1 at a time.
turning it on each time.

Old August 22nd 03, 09:28 PM
Lig

Check your SMPS. I had a very similar problem last sunday in my friend's PC
..

It ultimately boiled down to a faulty power leads(Mother board leads were
dead!!) . Becos the power was okay in the leads to the drives, I could eject
the CD Tray etc.Changed the SMPS and that did the trick.

Cheers
Lig

Old August 23rd 03, 12:35 AM
Civilian_Target

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:23:54 +0100, "Agron" aragorn @ iol.ie wrote:

Got the above motherboard as replacement for 2 faulty boards from Komplett.
The problems I am having are pretty much the same as Abit NF7-S.
I installed all the hardware (Barton 2500, ATI radeon 8500, HD Seagate
Barracuda 80 Gig's, Twin Mos 2 x 256 memory, PSU Q Technology 300W)) and all
the fans rock and roll. Everything looks fine but actually NOTHING else
happens. It will not post to bios. I don't get any beep warnings and I have
noticed the HD does not start up. All the components work fine in the old
system and in friends PC but I think I am missing something.
I have tried clearing the CMOS but it wasn't helpful.
Any good ideas out there would be appreciated.

Ensure that the RAM is seated correctly. For dual DDR you must put the
RAM in the 2 blue slots, and the clips should be fully closed.

Civilian Target
"Build a man a fire and you'll keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire and you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life" - Northern-Irish proverb
Old August 23rd 03, 01:16 AM
Arnie Berger

If the hard disk doesn't spin up, then its the power supply. One of
three possibilities:

1- There is a short circuit in the system. This may be due to one of
the screws that fasten then motherboard to the case shorting power to
ground. You can test this one by turning your system on outside of the
case on an insulated table-top.

2- Your power supply is dead.

3- The power supply may not be able to supply enough power on one of
the voltages, causing the entire supply to collapse. You may have
300W, but distribution of current at one of the voltages may not be
sufficient. If its the 3.3V supply, which is used to feed the
processor, then none of the other voltages would come up, and you'd
get the kind of behavior that you are seeing.

Try this. Just plug in the disk drive and nothing else. Turn on the
power. If the drive starts to spin up then it is either 1 or 3.

Arnie

"Agron" aragorn @ iol.ie wrote in message ...
"matt" wrote
| is the graphics card 1.5v type??. it wont boot unless it is. there may be
| warning light come on the motherboard to let you know.
|
| you could try disconnecting the components and plugging them in 1 at a
time.
| turning it on each time.

The MoBo is a pretty new one and for my standards good one (got it last
year).
The red light does not come on.
I tried installing the components one at a time but the same happened.

Old August 23rd 03, 10:03 PM
Agron

"DoD" wrote

| Doesnt matter where you put them, and also the two blue slots are slots
1&2
| i believe... you must be using the black slot for Dual DDR (the blue and
| the black make the 2 sets of memory for the dual)

I tried every bloody option.
I am more and more inclined to believing that QTech is to blame for my
misery!
It looks great, but it could be that it is not capable of "giving" as much
power as it should.
The only doubt is the fact that when I put this PSU (QTech) into my old
system (Athlon T Bird 1.4, Epox 8KTA3+Pro, Seagate 80 Gig, CD Rom, CDR, ATI
radeon 8500) it works and when I try my codegen PSU from the above mentioned
system) it doesn't work in my newly built system.

BTW, can anyone suggest a good (400W) and quiet PSU, not very expensive.

Old August 23rd 03, 11:49 PM
Ben Pope

tHatDudeUK wrote:
Get rid of that PSU, get an Antec or Enermax of at least 350watts 400
preferable.

I even read somewhere that Qtec admit their PSU's are s**t. Obviously
not in those words but what I read was they say their PSU's are over
rated by 100watts or something and the rating is the absolute peak it
will go to, (sounds like BS to me.)

I've got a Q-Tec 550W and a 450W Dual Fan gold. The ratings appear to be
the sum of peak values on each line.

Ben
--
I'm not just a number. To many, I;m known as a String...

Old August 24th 03, 11:12 AM
matt

i am running my a7n8x dlx with 2500+xp 2x hard drives and 2x dvd etc. etc.
on a 250W supply. if you check out the amd website there are examples on
there that show you how to calculate your power requirements. so i will have
to agree with alan on that point.

Old August 24th 03, 02:37 PM
Aussie

OK.Same sort of an problem that i had not long ago..It is your PSU.Believe
it or not....Wattage numbers doesnt matter.What matters is the total Amp.'s
on the 5v rail...It is got to be 18 or over.
Friend of mine (TV repairer) converted my old 300W No-Name PSU (300W 15A) to
(300W 25A)...Now i had to chain my box to the table :-)))))))