AM2 vs. Socket 939

Old May 27th 06, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default AM2 vs. Socket 939

Have been taking a look at the AM2 processors. What's the big deal? Is
there a major performance jump for AM2 chips? Clock speeds are roughly
the same. Architecture isn't that much different. DDR2 is no
advantage, is it?

Old May 27th 06, 06:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

From what I can tell it was AMD's way of say we have new chips too - pay no
attention to the man behind the curtain. AMD makes great chips but they
haven't developed anything lately so they had to have you pay attention to
the hand shaking the shiny keys so you wouldn't notice what the other camp
was doing.

I can't say that either company has a significantly better chip. AMD
currently has the better chip in my opinion. Intel may have the better chip
with the Core 2 - only time will tell. I think AMD is going to have to do
some major work to impress me at this point though. They've been "tweaking"
their chips for the past 1 1/2 years, in my opinion not evolving them. I
don't consider the AM2 evolution but more of a tweak. Hopefully the new
core2 will prompt AMD to drop prices again and make some significant
improvements to their chips. Maybe both companies have hit a ceiling but I
doubt it. Just my thoughts.

Old May 27th 06, 01:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Fri, 26 May 2006 23:27:14 -0500, Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:

Have been taking a look at the AM2 processors. What's the big deal? Is
there a major performance jump for AM2 chips? Clock speeds are roughly
the same. Architecture isn't that much different. DDR2 is no
advantage, is it?

There is essentially no performance difference between the 939s and the
AM2s. The difference is in the type of DRAM supported. The AM2s use DDR2.
The advantage of DDR2 is that it's possible to buy a 2G DDR2 DIMM, the
biggest DDR DIMM is 1G. So if you want more than 4G on a system you'll
need an AM2 system. If you don't think you'll ever need more than 4G then
you could go either way.

Intel has the first Core2 chips coming out in a few weeks. The first ones
out will be server chips in June, Woodcrest, followed my desktop chips,
Conroe, in July. Early reports are looking good for Intel, we'll know
better in a couple of weeks. Anyone thinking about a new systems should
wait a few weeks before buying.

Old May 27th 06, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Boe" wrote in message
. ..
From what I can tell it was AMD's way of say we have new chips too - pay
no attention to the man behind the curtain. AMD makes great chips but
they haven't developed anything lately so they had to have you pay
attention to the hand shaking the shiny keys so you wouldn't notice what
the other camp was doing.

I can't say that either company has a significantly better chip. AMD
currently has the better chip in my opinion. Intel may have the better
chip with the Core 2 - only time will tell. I think AMD is going to have
to do some major work to impress me at this point though. They've been
"tweaking" their chips for the past 1 1/2 years, in my opinion not
evolving them. I don't consider the AM2 evolution but more of a tweak.
Hopefully the new core2 will prompt AMD to drop prices again and make some
significant improvements to their chips. Maybe both companies have hit a
ceiling but I doubt it. Just my thoughts.

No, this is AMD's way of moving to DDR2 so they are ready to take advantage
of it for upcomming chips. Basically they want to give Enthusiests and such
people time to switch over to DDR2 before they really *need* to. That way
when more memory hungry chips come along every one will already have DDR2 on
hand.

Carlo

Old May 27th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

As I said this is just my opinion but it seems quite "coincidental" they
pushed up the date so they could get it out before Intel released their new
chips. Going to DDR2 doesn't help unless you are using more than 4 GIGs -
not a very large percentage do this or will in the next two years. Since
AMD hasn't improved the speed of their processors in quite a while and I
don't consider the 62 or x2 5000 a quantum leap so their won't be any
noticeable performance improvement by going to DDR2. DDR memory is MUCH
cheaper so a 939 saves a ton of money between the motherboard and memory.

JUST my opinions of course. Since I don't work for AMD and even if I did
unless I was the VP of sales or marketting I doubt most people there even
have the skinny on the real reason for this change. I'm not saying that
standard chip design or DDR2 are bad things, I just think it is a shame that
AM2 doesn't really benefit us on its initial release. But hey, I'm not
thrilled that Intel's 3 GHz extreme core2 chip is around $1000 when it comes
out. Things will of course change and then we might see the prices drop
and perfmance improve. I just doubt that we'll see a faster processor than
an x2 5400 using the current core - when they change the core who knows if
they will change the 940 socket as well.

"Carlo Razzeto" wrote in message
.. .
"Boe" wrote in message
. ..
From what I can tell it was AMD's way of say we have new chips too - pay

Old May 28th 06, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Carlo Razzeto" wrote in message
.. .
"Boe" wrote in message
. ..
From what I can tell it was AMD's way of say we have new chips too - pay
[...]

That's pretty much the case,DDR will eventually be phased out.From the
reviews I've read,there's a very slight performance increase,but only in the
the higher end models.If Intels new chips do prove better,AMD will
undoubtedly come up with an answer,that's the nature of the competition
between the two companies.I think in the end price and quality will
determine the winner,whoever can come up with a dependable,competitive chip
for less.AMD had the edge in that,but they're starting to catch up to Intel
in price.

Old May 28th 06, 05:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

AMD now has a FX-62 coming out that blows the doors off anything Intel can
come up with. AM2 will also see AMD's X4 core designs sitting on 65nm wafers
which they plan to release next year 1st quater.

--
Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner

3DMark05Free-Overall-3134 1024X768, 4XAA/8XAF 6.4Drivers
Cpu -4405
3Dmark2001 - 8702 4XAA/8XAF 1280X1024

Games I'm Playing- Battlezone II, IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
Civ IV

Old May 28th 06, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"VanShania" wrote...
AMD now has a FX-62 coming out that blows the doors off anything Intel can
come up with. AM2 will also see AMD's X4 core designs sitting on 65nm wafers
which they plan to release next year 1st quater.

The review/comparison I read in ExtremeTech
(http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1966027,00.asp) DOES give the nod to
the FX-62 over the latest Intel offerings, but it does NOT "blow the doors off"
the EE975 in all environments/applications.

The Intel/AMD see-saw will continue, and IMO AMD will continue to eat into
Intel's market share as they offer equally- or more-powerful CPUs and systems at
lower cost and lower power consumption (read: heat output).

Old May 29th 06, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

I stand corrected, kicks intel ass is what I meant to say, check out those
temps and power supply requirements

--
Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner
Thermaltake LanFire Midtower(4X80mm fans),Antec 550 Watt PSU
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5
Viewsonic A91f 19in Moniter
2XSATA WD 320gb Raid Edition, PATA WD 120Gb HD
Pioneer 110D Dual Layer burner
Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick
Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
Cheap computer speakers with Sennheiser HD 477 Headphones

3DMark05Free-Overall-3134 1024X768, 4XAA/8XAF 6.4Drivers
Cpu - 4405
3Dmark2001 - 8702 4XAA/8XAF 1280X1024

Games I'm Playing- IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
Civ IV, Warhammer 40,000 Gold

"John Weiss" jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote in
message ...
"VanShania" wrote...

Old May 29th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Sat, 27 May 2006 23:46:23 -0500, "VanShania"
wrote:

AMD now has a FX-62 coming out that blows the doors off anything Intel can
come up with. AM2 will also see AMD's X4 core designs sitting on 65nm wafers
which they plan to release next year 1st quater.

Yep, they haven't improved speed much since the lowly socket 754
2.4Ghz cpu. What they've been doing is adding cores. That was the
plan from the beginning with the opteron bus design. Dual channel
memory doesn't do much for 939 vs 754 but it comes in handy for dual
core. DDR2's bandwidth will be used by quad core cpus after the
next die shrink. You need DDR2 if you want 8 Gigs of memory so the
government will be able to fully exploit your multiple cores while
you're not looking. Pacifica is such a pretty name.