Is this safe?

Old January 25th 08, 09:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

Default Is this safe?

I tried an OC which resulted in my DRAM at 463Mhz, which was not
stable
http://i32.tinypic.com/346mgdl.jpg

So now I am at 375Mhz
http://i32.tinypic.com/29u4w8.png

Does it look ok?

I am having a bit of trouble realising what speed my RAM is good for.
I thought CPU-z used to tell me what each stick was (I have 2) but it
doesn't seem to any more. Please share your knowledge!
Old January 25th 08, 09:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

On 25 Jan, 09:02, bornfree wrote:
I tried an OC which resulted in my DRAM at 463Mhz, which was not
stablehttp://i32.tinypic.com/346mgdl.jpg

So now I am at 375Mhzhttp://i32.tinypic.com/29u4w8.png

Does it look ok?

I am having a bit of trouble realising what speed my RAM is good for.
I thought CPU-z used to tell me what each stick was (I have 2) but it
doesn't seem to any more. Please share your knowledge!

Ok I got SIW and my ram is DDR-800 (400Mhz)
Old January 25th 08, 01:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'bornfree' wrote:
|I tried an OC which resulted in my DRAM at 463Mhz, which was not
| stable
| http://i32.tinypic.com/346mgdl.jpg
|
| So now I am at 375Mhz
| http://i32.tinypic.com/29u4w8.png
|
| Does it look ok?
|
| I am having a bit of trouble realising what speed my RAM is good for.
| I thought CPU-z used to tell me what each stick was (I have 2) but it
| doesn't seem to any more. Please share your knowledge!
_____

Gee, who knows? You don't provide any information about the rest of your
system; Memory voltage, etc. Nor do you show the SPD tab of CPU-Z, the tab
that shows the manufacturer supplied memory module specifications.

The more you scatter your posts, the more difficult you make it to
understand what question you are actually asking.

Phil Weldon

Old January 25th 08, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

bornfree:
I tried an OC which resulted in my DRAM at 463Mhz, which was not
stable
http://i32.tinypic.com/346mgdl.jpg

So now I am at 375Mhz
http://i32.tinypic.com/29u4w8.png

Does it look ok?

I am having a bit of trouble realising what speed my RAM is good for.
I thought CPU-z used to tell me what each stick was (I have 2) but it
doesn't seem to any more. Please share your knowledge!

It looks like you need to get your "System Memory Multiplier" in the M.I.T.
off "auto." It is trying to run your memory at it's rated speed before you
overclock the FSB. You want your memory frequency to be what your
CPU is rated for. That way, when you raise the "CPU Host Frequency,"
your memory frequency will increase with it and you will have the headroom
you need. In CPU-Z where is says FSBRAM, you want it to say 1:1, I
believe. At 1:1, by raising your "CPU Host Frequency" to 400, your cpu
will be at 2.8 GHz and DDR2-800 (6400) memory will be at default
speed.

But I thought you had one stick of "PC2-4300" rated for 266 MHz.
The first thing I would do if I were you is run Memtest 86+ with a reduced
CPU multiplier so that only your RAM is overclocked, bump the memory
voltage up to 2v or 2.1v, and see what the actual limit of the memory is.
Then you will not risk trashing your Windows installation by running with
unstable memory.

Old January 25th 08, 06:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Kris[_2_]

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:50:33 GMT, Fishface wrote:

bornfree:
[...]

Para1: yes.

Para2: great idea!!!

--
Kris
--------
Old January 26th 08, 10:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
bornfree

On 25 Jan, 14:50, "Fishface" ? wrote:
bornfree:

[...]

Thanks for the advice, I love you fishface. I got the System memory
multiplier off auto. My FSB and DRAM are now at 1:1.

But I thought you had one stick of "PC2-4300" rated for 266 MHz.

Yeah I do. Shall I ditch it as a temporary solution until I run
memtest.. That way I can just use the 400Mhz RAM, at 400Mhz.

The first thing I would do if I were you is run Memtest 86+ with a reduced
CPU multiplier so that only your RAM is overclocked, bump the memory
voltage up to 2v or 2.1v, and see what the actual limit of the memory is.
Then you will not risk trashing your Windows installation by running with
unstable memory.

Ok. Thanks again. How long shall I run memtest for... I don't want to
be doubley-rock-solid, just long enough so that nothing ugly and
critical will happen.

Oh - what the heck am I looking for with memtest? I have run it in the
past but sometimes I feel like I am staring into the green matrix
code. !
Old January 26th 08, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

bornfree wrote:

Fishface wrote:
But I thought you had one stick of "PC2-4300" rated for 266 MHz.

Yeah I do. Shall I ditch it as a temporary solution until I run
memtest.. That way I can just use the 400Mhz RAM, at 400Mhz.

I'd probably try it first. Bump up the voltage, try 333 MHz and jump to test
#5. If you don't get any errors highlighted in red after a couple passes,
try 366. Then 400. If you get errors, drop it by half the previous jump to
zero-in on the highest stable speed. Finally, I ususally let it run overnight
or all day while I'm at work (on all tests) to be certain. By knowing the limit,
you can be more confident as to how close you are actually treading from
the edge. Then if Orthos gives errors in Windows, it is usually more CPU
voltage that is required and not something to do with the memory stability.
As I said previously, the inexpensive memory is often the same as the higher
speed memory, only untested or operating at a reduced voltage. It will often
perform much better than its rated speed. This will, of course, vary by brand,
part number and batch of the chips.

If your lower speed stick proves to be very limiting, you could remove it, but
you would be losing a lot of memory bandwidth because of the dual channel
nature of the memory controller. That will hurt in some applications, and not
make a bit of difference in others. Usually, I believe you would benefit more
from the higher CPU speed.

Safe or not? (s)AINT Overclocking 4 January 23rd 08 01:27 AM
So what is it about Safe Mode... Nick4000 Asus Motherboards 5 November 8th 06 06:38 AM
Is this safe to OC? Neil Barras Intel 6 April 18th 06 09:02 PM
Safe to store external HD in bank safe deposit box? Danny Kewl General 5 December 29th 04 09:27 PM
K8V and Safe Mode Ed Asus Motherboards 4 February 1st 04 11:51 AM