My latest Seagate HDD longevity report

Old May 30th 19, 01:31 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default My latest Seagate HDD longevity report

An ST2000DM001 that has clocked up a smidgeon under 5 years (3 years
longer than its warranty) of 24/7/365 operation in my FreeNAS machine
has just reported 2968 unreadable sectors.

It has been replaced by an ST2000DM006.

Perce
Old May 30th 19, 04:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Wed, 29 May 2019 20:31:45 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

An ST2000DM001 that has clocked up a smidgeon under 5 years (3 years
longer than its warranty) of 24/7/365 operation in my FreeNAS machine
has just reported 2968 unreadable sectors.

It has been replaced by an ST2000DM006.

Perce

I have an ST3100524AS with 2332 days on it--6.38 yrs. SMART says it is
still operating at 100% with no bad sectors. It is the C drive on a
Dell system.

I also have an HDS724040ALE640 with 2237 hours on it--6.12+ years.
SMART says it is still operating at 100% with no bad sectors.

Two newer Hitachi 4TB drives are each 2+yrs old (800+ hrs on each) and
I reasonably expect them to also last into the 2000+hour range.

Hopefully, there will be new large capacity storage in the next few
years that will permit the addition of 100+TB to 1+PB volumes.
Old May 31st 19, 02:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Shadow[_2_]

wrote:

An ST2000DM001 that has clocked up a smidgeon under 5 years (3 years
longer than its warranty) of 24/7/365 operation in my FreeNAS machine
has just reported 2968 unreadable sectors.

It has been replaced by an ST2000DM006.

My ST2000DM006 lasted exactly 4 months, with HDSentinel giving
it 100% health. Then the controller burnt and it became scrap. BIOS
could no longer see it.
Since I keep patient's records on the disk, I couldn't hand it
in on warranty.
So I got a Western Digital 2GB Blue. Bit slower, but working
OK.
It's "luck of the draw".
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old June 5th 19, 01:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

An ST2000DM001 that has clocked up a smidgeon under 5 years (3 years
longer than its warranty) of 24/7/365 operation in my FreeNAS machine
has just reported 2968 unreadable sectors.

It has been replaced by an ST2000DM006.

I forgot to mention that I think this drive came in a retail package as
an STBD2000101. Another of those bought at the same time and used in the
same machine is still running without errors.

Perce

Old June 14th 19, 10:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 6/4/19 8:33 PM, I wrote:

An ST2000DM001 that has clocked up a smidgeon under 5 years (3 years
longer than its warranty) of 24/7/365 operation in my FreeNAS machine
has just reported 2968 unreadable sectors.

It has been replaced by an ST2000DM006.

I forgot to mention that I think this drive came in a retail package as
an STBD2000101. Another of those bought at the same time and used in the
same machine is still running without errors.

That last-mentioned drive showed some errors, then within a couple of
days was no longer recognized. No data loss, thanks to RaidZ2. It's been
replaced by another STD2000DM006.

Perce
Old June 14th 19, 10:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 5/31/19 9:33 AM, Shadow wrote:

An ST2000DM001 that has clocked up a smidgeon under 5 years (3 years
longer than its warranty) of 24/7/365 operation in my FreeNAS machine
has just reported 2968 unreadable sectors.

It has been replaced by an ST2000DM006.

My ST2000DM006 lasted exactly 4 months, with HDSentinel giving
it 100% health. Then the controller burnt and it became scrap. BIOS
could no longer see it.
Since I keep patient's records on the disk, I couldn't hand it
in on warranty.
So I got a Western Digital 2GB Blue. Bit slower, but working
OK.
It's "luck of the draw".
[]'s

Bit late responding to this, but I have heard of people transplanting
controller boards from one drive to another of the same model, sometimes
successfully.

Perce

SSD longevity John Doe Homebuilt PC's 24 January 19th 13 04:32 PM
HD longevity Pdigmking Homebuilt PC's 15 November 29th 05 11:11 PM
CDR Longevity jason Cdr 10 November 23rd 05 01:48 AM
Seagate 160mb SATA drive and Seagate DiscTools Problems - PLEASEREAD Sgt_Wilson Storage (alternative) 3 May 30th 04 04:53 PM
CD longevity [email protected] Cdr 10 November 29th 03 05:44 AM